close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

New under $100 router for gaming/streaming

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by CBennett, Mar 20, 2017.

1. CBennett

CBennett

My old Router is a giant bottleneck now days..several years old...I need a new router now, we have cable as the source of the internet BTW . Several things connecting to it but the 2 most stressful are probably my and my sons gaming PC's it will also be supporting a tablet or 3 and 3 cell phones..not all at the same time but many nights me and my son will be gaming online(FPS or Strategy type or MMORPG's) and my wife will be fiddling around in the livingroom either surfing around on her tablet or reading..

Right now in my price range im looking at

ASUS RT-ACRH13 Dual-Band 2x2 AC1300 Wifi 4-port Gigabit Router with USB 3.0 this is around $69

or the
    ASUS RT-N66U Dual-Band Wireless-N900 Gigabit Router
    which comes in around $85

Id like simple setup but the power I need not to be lagging in games. either of these seems to have the 2.5 and 5ghz deals but I cant find anywhere to compare them side by side. Right now my gaming is laggy mostly because this poor old net gear is 3-4+ years old and just a "regular" model not one set up for gaming or heavy use..Id like to get this ordered I just cant see why the one is $69 and 1 $85 ...as of right now I dont really plug anything into the back except well...MY computer my kid is in the next room(close) 15 feet maybe tops away..and goes off the wifi connection...its just a single story small ranch unless we were outside the furthest away things would get is 40 feet or less..

And please if you guys know of any other good wifi routers that would be good for gaming/streaming under $100 feel free to add them.

2. Lord

Lord Senior Member

Asus makes good routers and the interface is fairly straight forward.
    I use an Asus at home.

Gun Shark and CBennett like this.

3. Gun Shark

Gun Shark

I wouldn't get a wireless N router. So that leaves the wireless AC one.

I use 2 ASUS RT-AC3100 and love them. Before that it was 2 RT-AC68U and 68P.

CBennett likes this.
  4. CBennett

CBennett

I did more research and agree need a AC

5. BC42

BC42

Who is your ISP (Internet service provider)? What cable modem are you using?

2.4ghz (not 2.5) and 5ghz is the wifi signal frequency, not the speed of the router.

6. Gun Shark

Gun Shark

Yes, but the 5ghz band is way faster than 2.4.

7. Gun Shark

Gun Shark

I'd probably spend a bit more and get whatever the AC68 is now.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2017
  8. BC42

BC42

Not even close.

9. Gun Shark

Gun Shark

The speed tests run this evening(and every other time) tell a different story. So do the various IT professionals we have hired in the past few years.

5GHZ/Wireless AC:

[​IMG]

2.4ghz:

[​IMG]

Wired:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 20, 2017
  10. CBennett

CBennett

Thanks guys I went and took your advice on the "AC" instead of the "N" figured before i went online and got something id at least check out Staples as its just down the road..I didn't expect much but now and then they have rebates or sales and they had the Netgear AC 1750 on sale so I got that..works great it was right at $100 after $5 reward bucks i had lol

https://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-Nigh...qid=1490058829&sr=1-2&keywords=netgear+ac1750

11. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

Funny I saw this thread.. My Asus R16 (I personally think Asus routers are superior to Netgear, especially if flashing them with custom firmware is something you might consider), which I absolutely loved... bit the dust the other day. Not sure what happened, but a possible power surge while I was at work as we had some clocks to reset, etc.

Went ahead and bought the N66U... This router is AWESOME!. My internet plan is 100 down, 10 up, and it handles it flawlessly. I have no AC devices, and it's unlikely my plan is going to reach a point where I could take advantages of AC speeds any time soon, so I was OK with buying "yesterdays" technology...

On 5ghz Wireless

[​IMG]

It was $85, and I'm more than happy with the purchases.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2017
  12. captainstormy

captainstormy

Actually I was coming to recommend a Netgear AC1750. I bought one last name and it's been a trooper. I get good signal all in my house (over 4K sq ft counting the basement) and in my yard. I work from home, and both the wife and I game online at the same time without any issues.

Pretty sure you'll like it.

CBennett likes this.
  13. CBennett

CBennett

PING
    23 ms
    DOWNLOAD
    241.75 Mbps

UPLOAD
    11.96 Mbps