New TX Renewal process

Discussion in 'Carry Issues' started by Lord, Jan 11, 2017.

1. Lord

Lord Senior Member

and it's ridiculously easy. I just did mine in 5 minutes.
    When you're within 6 months of expiring (or close to it)
    1. You get a letter in the mail from DPS informing you that you're due within about 6
    2. Instructions on the letter tell you to go to texas.gov and select handgun licensing.
    3. You go there, and there's a login page. You input your DL # and your birthdate
    4. You select the option of starting a renewal application.
    5. You confirm a few things, you answer a few questions.
    6. Confirm you're familiar with the law, you've read the current ones, and are familiar with changes (all carriers should be familiar and aware at all times IMO)
    7. Confirm a few more things, digitally sign.
    8. Enter credit card information, pay appropriate fee.
    9. You are informed of any supporting documents (if any) that are required which you can either email in to the secure site, or drop in USPS.
    10. Logout.
    11. Check back periodically for status until issued.

Total time consumed: approximately 5-10 mins max

Previously, the process was another 4 hour class with proficiency shooting at the range with all the new applicants.

dudel and Paul53 like this.
  2. DWARREN123

DWARREN123 Grumpy Old Guy

Most carry permits seem to have this thing about money!

janice6 and Paul53 like this.

3. KWalrad

KWalrad No Wire Hangers!

Thanks Lord!
    I'm coming due in September and have wondered how it was going to be handled.

On another note, I hear talk where the current Session is thinking about Constitutional carry - no permit required - that or fee-less permits. Nice if it would pass... Although I'd still opt for a permit just to carry when out of state (where permissible).

dudel, janice6 and Paul53 like this.
  4. Terlingueno

Terlingueno

...and we may not have to pay for CHL's or renewals anymore if a certain bill passes this legislative session and Governor Abbott signs it.

5. Lord

Lord Senior Member

I'm thinking he will. I never liked the fee thing, but I guess they do have to pay the employees that process. I am a vet though, so it's discounted for us.

@KWalrad: I posted because I have some friends coming due also and they were wondering what the process would be. in truth, until I did it, I wondered how difficult it might be. Piece of cake, though, as long as all your ducks are in the proverbial row.

KWalrad likes this.
  6. KWalrad

KWalrad No Wire Hangers!

Thanks again.
    And as one vet to another - Thank You for your service!

7. Lord

Lord Senior Member

and to you, my brother.

8. Glock Commander

Glock Commander

How often do you have to renew? I got to renew every 12 months.

9. Lord

Lord Senior Member

Initial licenses are valid for four years. Renewal licenses are valid for five years.

10. NavyMSU

NavyMSU

I'm due for renewal in March.. thanks for the reminder.

TX used to have one of the most robust training requirements, now it's almost a joke.

I might be moving to Michigan very soon, but I need to renew just in case.

Also, since I have less than 2 months, I don't want to wait for TX state congress on anything.

11. cadillacguns

cadillacguns Millennium Member

Here in Indiana a (LTCH) lifetime to carry handgun permit costs $100 and your done.
    SWEET!

12. daydreamer

daydreamer

Recently did mine too. Easy-Peasy. :cheers:

13. retrieverman

retrieverman Registered User

I redid mine in November when the letter came even though mine does expire until May, and yes, it's very easy and all about the money.

With the level of dumbassery in the world, I have mixed feeling about constitutional carry, but I'm sure Abbott will sign it if it gets to him.

14. Lord

Lord Senior Member

did you get the new card yet? my last renewal took only two weeks to receive... this one doesn't show up on the website yet as in process.... so I'm wondering on that part.

15. LostinTexas

LostinTexas Exploring Alternate Routes

You must not have had a CHL for very long. My past 2 renewals were only paperwork, but the stipulation was you had renewed at least once.. Now just fill out on line.
    BTW, mine came in about a week. Kind caught me off guard since it came several months before my birthday, and prior, the came a couple of days before the old one expired (on my birthday).
    I am torn as well. I liked the instruction and range qualification.

16. retrieverman

I got the new card in the mail, and it didn't seem to take that long. I've been really busy working since the first of November and didn't keep track of the exact time. Sorry.

I've had my TX CHL for 20 years, and the last two renewals have been done online.

17. M2 Carbine

M2 Carbine

WOW, have we had CHL for that long?
    I was wondering just the other how long I've had the license.

18. retrieverman

I took my first class in the fall of 1995 but didn't get my permit in the mail until the spring of 1996. The processing of applications took a lot longer back then.

19. Lord

Lord Senior Member

concealed carry came to TX in 1995 right after Anne Richards was voted out of office. If not for her, we would have had it longer. She was on record as saying (paraphrasing) "As long as I am governor, Texas will never have a concealed carry law", and (from Wiki) Her opposition to the concealed weapon bill authored by State Representative Suzanna Hupp. When asked if women might feel safer if they could carry guns in their purses, Richards replied, "Well, I'm not a sexist, but there is not a woman in this state who could find a gun in her handbag, much less a lipstick." The bill was later passed by the state legislature and signed by Governor Bush in 1995.

George Bush changed that in a landslide victory over her in 1994. That year, Cuomo was also voted out... and that gave the Republicans the majority in government. Following her loss, we got concealed carry among other things.

As an update, I just checked online and finally see the process.
    Everything approved thus far, except for Fingerprints and Background check which are listed as "Under Review".

Time consumed as of now: 20 days and counting.
    More to follow.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2017
  20. Lord

Lord Senior Member

New update. Closing in on 60 days since I submitted my online renewal. Still sitting in pending status for "Fingerprint check" and "Background check". It has NEVER taken this long, so I emailed them asking for an update. There was the automated response of "thanks for your email, we'll get back to you" and then nothing. So I called. "Due to the high volume of callers, all representatives are busy try your call again later". Days later, still no response via email. I called again.

After a short period of terminal hold, someone answered. According to her, they don't need anything else (they're supposed to mail me something if they need something else, I haven't gotten anything". She says that it's in background check and that process could take up to six months. SHRUG. She says everything is ok, they're just waiting on the background check to come back.
    Anyone else have this happen? Normally, my renewals come back in less than 2 weeks.