GlockTalk Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8,790 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tried to upload a short video but couldn’t. 2 months ago I installed a new tub and all the new parts that go with it. Every time I turn the water on the first few seconds have a brownish tint to it. I figured it would clear up in a day or 3 but 2 months later it’s still there. Wasn’t there before and no other spigot in the house does this, just my tub. The water lines was copper and I replaced that from the floor up to all the new parts with PEX. Any clue?

·
Registered
20,664 Posts
Did you install a new shower/tub faucet as well?

/

·
Native Mainiac
20,475 Posts
How long does the water to the shower go without flow when you see this? A day or two??

Is it when water is directed to the tub or just to the shower head?

·
Registered
20,664 Posts
How did you stub out the new tub spigot? Should be a threaded copper pipe.

If you used galvanized or have galvanized anywhere in the house that will cause rust colored water.

/

·
Registered
20,664 Posts
Does the dirty water come out both hot and cold or hot only?

Where in the line of your plumbing does this faucet fall? Is it the first faucet after the water heater?

/

·
Registered
8,790 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Everything new including the faucet body, I use it nightly and it’s one of the one handle type so your getting hot and cold at the same time, on county water, and the only piece that’s galvanized is a very short piece that the spigot attaches to the valve body. As to where it falls in the line I really don’t know. And the tub is white lol.

·
Registered
2,845 Posts
Was that short galvanized pipe brand new or reused?

Lots of evidence the problem is very close to your new faucet:

You report no other faucets do this, so not a problem with the water source.
It starts immediately after you turn it on and then gets better/diluted.
You have pex and copper going back from that.

Good luck: I hate plumbing. There's always something.

·
Registered
8,790 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Was that short galvanized pipe brand new or reused?

Lots of evidence the problem is very close to your new faucet:

You report no other faucets do this, so not a problem with the water source.
It starts immediately after you turn it on and then gets better/diluted.
You have pex and copper going back from that.

Good luck: I hate plumbing. There's always something.
The Galvanized was new from Lowe’s. And thinking about it the Galvanized would of been a short piece from the valve body, a 90 degree elbow and a short piece through the wall. So 3 pieces. Probably the issue.

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
Where did you turn your water off at? Meter or in the house? It sounds like there is galvanized somewhere and when main water is shut off the rust inside falls off and washes through your system.

·
Registered
8,790 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Where did you turn your water off at? Meter or in the house? It sounds like there is galvanized somewhere and when main water is shut off the rust inside falls off and washes through your system.
My only know cutoff is at the meter, if there is one in the crawlspace I haven’t found it yet but we only been here about 6 months. I’d say your right, could of been the pieces I used.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts