New Trijicon HD

Discussion in 'Sights, Optics and Lasers/Lights' started by TexasPOff, Mar 31, 2020.

1. TexasPOff

TexasPOff "Tactical Elf"

Anyone noticed the new Trijicon HD front sight design. The front sight body seems to be a bit longer than previous versions. Not sure why, possibly a longer tritium vial?.

Their packaging has changed as well. I have a set on order some XRs. I'll see if I get the new version and I'll post up when they arrive.

TXPO

2. lyodbraun

lyodbraun

Post some pics when ya get them price go up on them as well ?

Buckshot Barry likes this.

3. TexasPOff

TexasPOff "Tactical Elf"

I'm a fan of Ameriglo sights, but I found a taller sight set is actually a bit faster for me.

I have a set of regular HD's an a G17 range gun, so I figured I would try a set of the XR sights on one of my G45 duty guns and see how the thinner front sight does.

TXPO

4. bac1023

bac1023

Interesting

I haven’t noticed

5. tango44

tango44

Can you share pics? it's interesting because this are my personal favorite sights!

kyjd75, UncleDave and chemboy like this.
  6. Snowbroski

Snowbroski

Yup, the date codes also changed to a letter sequence similar to Glock OEM night sights, and both the date code and other roll marks are now laser engraved instead of being painted on because they used to rub off with ease.

chemboy likes this.
  7. switch625

switch625 S. S. Squirrel

Just put a set od XRs on my 19 and noticed the same. Letter codes for dates suck. Why do companies do this?

Anybody have the Trijicon date key code to decipher?

8. switch625

switch625 S. S. Squirrel

HDs are faster for me too. Although I did my Ameriglo Agents from Brownells when they were $80. Now that they're $100 I go with HDs for $112.

9. M7425

M7425

Have you sent the question to Trijicon customer service?

10. UncleDave

UncleDave

Casually glancing at the HD's on my G21, the front sight does appear longer than the one I had on my G23, but I figured maybe that was just due to the 21 sights being different. Interesting... Don't notice any difference in how well they work. These are still my favorite sights for any Glock.

11. tango44

tango44

Still trying to get pics, but no luck, any of you can share pics of your new sights please!

12. TexasPOff

TexasPOff "Tactical Elf"

I spoke to trijicon yesterday and should have asked them. The date code stuff they are probably carrying over from Ameriglo. Ameriglo uses date codes now and Trijicon bought them last year.

I was able to look at a set of the new XR's mounted on a glock yesterday evening. The front sight really floats around at least for me. The .125 front width and .180 rear width and my wonderfully aging eyes didn't seem to play very well together.

While discovering a taller sight works better for me, I have also discovered a wide rear notch degrades my ability to accurately center the front sight.

So with that, I canceled my order for the HD XR's and I am going to go a different route.

I am going to get a set of the Trijicon Fiber sights, and Trijicon is sending me a yellow XR front. The .125 front is compatible with the Fiber .125 rear. There will be daylight on the sides, but much less than a typical wide rear. This will allow me to center the front better. My rep says there are quite a few folks ordering XR fronts to go with the fiber rears.

I really like the Fiber rears, as they are plain black, with serrations, and the edges are rounded and smoother than the HD rear sight.

I black out my rear tritium anyway, so this isn't a big deal. I also prefer a square notch to the u notch, so again this works a bit better for me.

TXPO

13. kyjd75

kyjd75

Same here.

14. kyjd75

kyjd75

So Trijicon bought Ameriglo? Do you know if trijicon is still going to make their regular HD sights for Glocks? I have both Ameriglos and HDs on my pistols, but I prefer the HDs.

15. TexasPOff

TexasPOff "Tactical Elf"

Production will remain the same. The purchase was made after Ameriglo got the contract to provide Glock with the bold and FBI sights, go figure.

They will continue to offer both Ameriglo and Trijicon brand sights separately, even though they are essentially one in the same now.

TXPO

16. kyjd75

kyjd75

That is interesting. I see that Ameriglo still has a separate websight for now. I bought sets of the Agent sights for my G5 19s and 17s since I am a former SA, but I have to say I do prefer the regular ole Trijicon HDs, which I have on my 45s and my 21-4 and 41-4. I think it is that big bright front sight post of the HDs that make the difference to me.