Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
They don't go into a lot of detail, but I guess it worked for this lady.

As her condition worsened, a doctor on her case reached out to a neurologist in New York. They knew each other through Wright State University. That is where Dr. Tom Pitts went to medical school and completed his residency.

He now specializes in neuro immunological diseases.

“I have the honor of fighting off some of the most lethal and catastrophic autoimmune diseases in the world on a regular basis,” Pitts said.

He said COVID-19 is the most aggressive lung disease he has ever seen. However, by researching previous Coronaviruses, he came up with a plan to fight it.

“They found that people’s lungs were actually being attacked with something called the complement, which is part of the immune system,” Pitts said. “So I said ‘great, I have a complement inhibitor. It’s called Soliris, eculizumab.’”

https://www.whio.com/news/troy-resp...iving-coronavirus/4DW5G3ZNT5FCJDU26DHFJZLPKA/

·
Registered
3,128 Posts
Quick Google search, it seems to check out. Immunosuppressive drug. Death from Covid is an immuno response. So, maybe it could work out.

Unfortunately, it is extremely expensive

Reactions: BlueBacker

·
Make It So!!
3,243 Posts
Eculizumab is a monoclonal antibody (a bioengineered antibody) that targets a specific part of the complement (a very complicated part of the immune system). There are other monoclonal antibodies begin studied as well that targets other parts of the complement. Tocilizumab is probably the furthest along in the clinical trials, as it targets IL-6, an earlier part of the complement system.

This is the Eculizumab trial the article refers to. It's a good start. But it's not a randomized clinical trial. It's an "expanded access" trial - meaning that it's an observational study based on expanded emergency access. If this goes well, the next step will be a true randomized clinical trial.

https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT04288713

1 - 5 of 5 Posts