New to the world of firearms...

Discussion in 'Introduction Forum' started by smgreen20, Sep 13, 2015.

1. smgreen20

smgreen20

Just to introduce myself,
    My name is Mike, I'm from Lafayette, IN and just purchased my first firearm, a Glock 22, Gen 3.
    For my age, I'm late getting to the game at 39 years of age. (Well, I will be Sept 29th)
    My wife and I filled for our carry permits a month ago. She's received hers, I'm still waiting on mine. My wife is the biggest reason as to why I'm just now getting a firearm for personal protection. We have kids and she doesn't want one in the house along with in her mind, she sees a gun of any sort as a weapon of death, not protection. She's come a LONG way and will now hold one on her own accord. Before, or her first time holding a handgun, she literally cried, it freaked her out that much. So I'm very proud of her.

I get to go shooting for the first time tomorrow. We've signed up for beginner courses at a local respected shop. I've watched as many youtube videos as I can and have quickly seen the right and wrong ways of holding, handleing, aiming/stance....So tomorrow will be a fun experience.

I'm a father of 3, husband of 1 (that I know of, lol). Car audio in my hobby still to this day and my music of choice is 80% heavy metal and I don't mean the average radio type either. The biggest names on the radio I listen to are Five Finger Death Punch, Metallica, of course PANTERA though they don't get much radio play here. The bands I like are Killswitch Engage, Chimaira, Eluveitie, In Flames just to give you an idea. The other 20% are of the likes of Tori Amos, Flogging Molly, Mumford and Sons, Flyod and the likes. So PLEASE, feel free to discuss music with me, I'm always looking for something new.

My sports of choice, Racing. Not just the over hyped NASCAR, but WRC (my favorite), F1 and the NHRA.

Alcoy likes this.
  2. janice6

janice6

3. bac1023

bac1023

4. fowl intent

fowl intent Banned

Welcome to a new obsession.

5. KWalrad

KWalrad No Wire Hangers!

Welcome. Let us know how your range session went.

6. pipedreams

pipedreams "Knowledge Speaks - Wisdom Listens,"

7. Eddie D

Eddie D

Welcome from Ms

8. smgreen20

smgreen20

Thanks guys.

The session went pretty good. Shot my brothers G19 a few times too. This is definitely to much gun for my wife, even a 9mm. She'll be looking at a .380 I'm guessing.

I took a 30 sec video of me shooting. As soon as I get it uploaded, I'll post a link to it.

9. smgreen20

smgreen20

I also took the stance of Jerry Miculek, or tried to.

10. mj9mm

mj9mm

Good to have a new GT member, welcome.
    Also good to hear your wife is opening up to self protection. Being a sheep is no life for a human. As to your wife picking a caliber over a gun, take her to a gunshop/ range that rents. She needs to pick the largest gun she can comfortably carry. A small 380 might feel good in the hand, but are painful to shoot. Let her shoot a variety of calibers and models. Good luck with your new hobby

11. PhotoFeller

PhotoFeller A swamp dude

Mike- Sounds like you're getting started the right way by signing up for professional instruction. There's more to learn about using a firearm than you might imagine, and developing safe handling skills will take time and an earnest effort. Make safety your highest priority and other aspects of shooting will fall into place.

Its good to have another Hoosier in the house. Have fun and share your experiences.

12. wingryder

wingryder

Welcome to GT. I'm getting my wife to warm up to firearms as well. She has come a long way, but she is still not comfortable with operation of the gun (loading, clearing, etc.). A Glock 22 is a pretty big firearm to try and conceal. Are you planning on getting a compact?

13. steve1911

steve1911

Welcome!

1911club#410

14. smgreen20

smgreen20

Photo, whet at in IN are you located? If you don't mind me asking.

Wing, for now just the G22. The smaller models I'm sure I will get but at a much later time. I'm hoping my wife would be ok shooting a 9mm. I'd like to get her the G43. I thought about getting one of those for myself later on but with the finger grip added so my hand fits it better. I'd also like her to stick with a Glock for more then just the name. Since I have one, teardown will be the same just a miniature version of what I have so she'll be more comfortable if she ever has to use mine.

wingryder likes this.
  15. sdsnet

sdsnet NRA Member CLM

Smgreen20,

It is important for your wife to try a number of brands and models of handguns. You may prefer Glock but it may not fit her hand as well or the recoil may not feel the same to her. .380 can be a very snappy round. Try not to make the decision for her regarding the handgun or the caliber. She may find that a CZ P01 works for her where a Glock 22 works for you. If you let her choose she will become proficient faster and she will want to go to the range with you more often. Practice, practice, practice.

sdsnet

16. smgreen20

smgreen20

I have no issues with her trying other handguns, I encourage her to. I want her to find whatever she likes, whatever she's comfortable with. I just hope it's a glock. If not, no biggie.

17. wingryder

wingryder

There's a lot to be said with familiarity. If all you guns operate the same way, its less to think about under duress. I prefer the feel of a Sig P220 over my Glock 21, but the glock has less felt recoil for me so i can reaquire the target faster with a glock. The higher bore axis of the P220 caused greater muzzle flip in my case. I sold my Sig and bought a G21 in 1994. No regrets. I carry a G26 now.
    If you want your wife to shoot 9mm try a G26 or a G19. Ive never shot a g43, but I imagine they would be snappy due to their smaller mass.

18. smgreen20

smgreen20

I'm brother went with me and he has a G19. I fired a few rounds through it too and I'm still concerned that it might be too much for her. I'm hoping not but we won't know until she tries. I'm just going to wait and see how she does with the .380 we'll be shooting in the class we'll be taking on Oct. 5th.

On a different note, no one has replied to my post in the parts section. But I bought a tactical grip mounted laser for mine but the pin that came with it was still about 2mm to short. Does anyone know the diameter of the pin (4mm I think) and know where I might be able to get longer ones? According to one site, the grip pin on the gen4 is the same diameter but longer. I'm wondering if it's long enough or just how much longer it is compared to the stock gen3 pin. Our if anyone knows the diameter, I could get some stainless rod and cut my own to length.

wingryder likes this.
  19. smgreen20

smgreen20

[​IMG]

I hope this works. But here is the video.

NMG26 likes this.
  20. Kennydale

Kennydale

Picked up my first firearm at 62 (Now 65) Keep thinking i wish I did this back in the 80's!
    I started with a Ruger SR40C now I carry a G17 with a Ruger LCP as a BUG. My wife is starting to shoot and she really likes her G26 (Which sometimes she let's me shoot) My G19 and G17 are a bit too heavy for her hand (Arthritis). I had a G42 for a bit (I won it in a raffle) My wife really didn't like shooting the .380 Auto much and I already had an LCP so i sold it. I also bought my wife a revolver, but she does not like the heavy trigger pull. So her main firearm is the G26. (Her girlfriend loved shooting her G26, and had her husband buy her one)

BTW:Nice shooting you already have good form.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2015