New to the forum with a G22

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by picturethis, Jan 8, 2010.

1. picturethis

picturethis

Hey there. I recently picked up a brand new G22 with 2 mags, box and all the other stuff they come with from Glock for 375$. I was really looking to get a G17, but I couldn't pass up on the deal for the G22. I think I will still end up getting a G17, since 9mm pistols are so inexpensive to shoot. I shot a box of Hydra Shok thru the G22 a few days ago. I haven't cleaned it yet, since I'm unsure about the break-in period. Should I shoot a few more boxes thru it before I clean it? I may not have a chance to get to the range for a few weeks, so it'll just be sitting. Thanks!

2. picturethis

picturethis

I should also mention that I went with a Blackhawk Serpa holster. Best holster I've ever seen. I'd recommend one to anyone!

3. greatwun

greatwun Senior Member

4. DEADLYACCURATE

DEADLYACCURATE Senior Member

5. voyager4520

voyager4520

Congrats and welcome! You can clean it between "break in" sessions without worrying. Just don't get oil or any other liquids into the firing pin channel or other internals of the slide. Don't leave oil on the breech face, it can contaminate the primer of a chambered round.

6. .40 user

.40 user

WOW! $375 for a new Glock 22? My wife bought me one for Christmas and paid $525 for mine.. You got a Great deal..

Congrats on the new Gun.:wavey:

7. DWARREN123

DWARREN123 Grumpy Old Guy

Good deal. Is it a GEN 3 or RTF2 model? Either way good deal. I clean sometimes after firing and sometimes I wait for awhile, with modern ammo should not make any diiference.
    I don't go thru a break in period I just shoot the crap out of it and it should not have any malfunctions with good ammo.
    The Serpa is a good holster but I like leather for myself.
    CONGRATS!

8. picturethis

picturethis

It's not a rtf. I hated the way it felt in my hand, it was very uncomfortable. I could see someone with rough or clamy hands liking it, but it wasn't for me. The guy at the gun shop said it was made sometime in November 09. Did Glock ever address the kB issue? I am sure this has been brought up many times in the past, but did they ever do anything to help fix it? I know from research that most of the kB were in .40 models like the 22 and 23, and that it was a result of bad reloads or shooting lead instead of new factory ammo. I don't plan to ever shoot reloads, so is there still any risk of it blowing up? I'm not so worried myself, but I really wanna get my gf out to the range. She was really excited, and she spent a day online looking at gun stuff. She googled Glock22 and came upon some of the kB stories, and now she won't go near the gun. I want to get her out there and see if she even enjoys shooting, and if she likes it then I'll buy her a G19. Is there any evidence that the problems were ever fixed, or is it just part of life with a .40 Glock and their unsupported chambers? I really loved the way the G22 shot. Coming into this last week, I had never even shot a semi auto before. I have shot several revolvers and shotguns, but never a handgun. I got a really good paying armed security job, and I was told I had to get a .40 gun, so I went with the Glock22. Took it to the range without ever shooting it, and I still managed a 90% qualification score after only 50 warm up rounds. 45/50 with a brand new gun is proof that Glocks are as good as it gets for the money. I love it, but still wish it was a 9mm so I could afford to stock up on ammo! Can anyone put the kB myths to rest for me, so I can get my gf out there and give it a shot? Thanks!

9. ki4dmh

ki4dmh Glock Lover

Welcome, and WOW that's a great deal on your G-22. As far as cleaning it goes that is up to you. I clean my guns after every range trip.

10. Joshhtn

Joshhtn The eBay Guy Silver Member

:welcome:... You made a great choice getting the 22.

11. picturethis

picturethis

Thanks for the welcome, guys. I hope someone can put some kB facts on here in black and white, since I wanna take my gf shooting this Monday. She won't touch the gun until she has proof that it won't blow up in her hands. I shoot Hydra Shok rounds only, so I should be about as safe as I can get. G22 + Blackhawk Serpa holster = a dream.

12. robertwh

robertwh

Congratulations! Enjoy!:wavey:

13. NateHodge

NateHodge Here too much

The KB issue is a result of not having a fully supported case head and hot loads or cheap/overpowered reloads. Shouldn't be an issue if you stick to factory ammo. I don't have any documents to back this up, but I've shot several thousand rounds out of my G22 and have several family members that work for various departments that carry the G22. I'd be willing to bet that the G22's they carry have seen at least 20k rounds each without a single KB. We all shoot WWB for target.

You can save a few bucks by shooting WWB. Shooting Hydra Shok's exclusively can get expensive, plus there's no need to shoot hollow points for plinking. I like the Serpa as well. It's my knock around holster for being in the woods or going to the range. There have been cases where the Serpa lock was jammed in the locked position by a small rock or pebble getting behind the lock. That might be worth looking into just so you are aware of what could happen.

I'm looking at getting a Safariland to get away from the Serpa lock myself. But in the meantime, the Serpa serves my purpose. The paddle is way more secure than the belt loop in my opinion. I also cut the single hook off of the paddle portion that goes inside the pants to make it a little easier to get off.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2010
  14. dru22

dru22 Shooter

Congrats on a great deal on an even better gun. That was my first and still my favorite. You mentioned the G17, I would suggest a 40-9 conversion aftermarket barrell from someone like lonewolf and a g17 mag and you'll be shooting 9mm for not much more than 100 bucks. I did that with mine to cover all the caliber bases early and to introduce new shooters to a fullsize handgun w/ only 9mm recoil (although i can tell much of a difference..)

anyway, welcome and shoot the hell outta that thing!

eta: just saw your kb concern, let your gf know I've put almost 4000 rounds thru mine without any issues at all - like someone said, use factory ammo (I know many others who have put WAY more thru theirs without issues, much less kb's)

good luck

Last edited: Jan 9, 2010
  15. GlockamoJoe

GlockamoJoe

welcome
    a KB in a Glock 40 is much talked about but not so commmon.
    Its a machine every manufacture of anything puts out a lemmon.
    the area I work in has a lot of Glock only PDs if they were blowing up with any regularity Glock 40 wouldn't be as widely used

16. Steel Head

Steel Head Tactical Cat

If the chamber is like my new 23 it is a LOT tighter and better supported than my old 22
    I have seen no evidence that have proven Glocks go boom boom with good ammo
    Bad reloads-yes-which will take out other guns too
    out of spec factory rounds-same

Wicked price:wow: on the 22

17. tjpet

tjpet

Great idea on the 9mm conversion barrel. A couple of 17 mags and you're good-to-go.

I've also got a Lone Wolf .357Sig barrel for my favorite G22. Excellent field caliber for varmints/pests and I've used it in a pinch to take a few up-close late season deer with it. They usually fold right up after taking a couple steps.

Any Glock .40 model is a vesatile platform for a variety of calibers.

18. bentbiker

bentbiker

If you are really serious about wanting your gf to enjoy her first shooting experience, I suggest you make her introduction something with light recoil, not your .40. I'm a bit confused about you having shot revolvers but not handguns; I'm guessing you meant you'd never shot a semi-auto handgun?

19. Nicko

Nicko GTDS FOR LIFE

Man, that is a good deal. Congrats and welcome to the forum

20. bac1023

bac1023