close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

New to the Board (w/ questions)

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by 1inthechamber, Aug 7, 2006.

1. 1inthechamber

1inthechamber

I'll admit I have been lurking the board for awhile to get some information. I also have a membership at TFL and at Hi-Point Forums. I have finally made the decision (actually I made the decision several weeks ago) to get a G17 w/ the Advantage Arms .22 conversion kit. I was also looking into a Springfield 1911 w/ the Kimber conversion but what sold me to get the G17 was the price, hi-cap mags, cheaper ammo costs (including .22LR of course), and GSSF.

I want to be able to get involved in GSSF sometime next year after going to a few events first. My questions are:

1. How easy is it to shoot GSSF? I have never been to any shooting event so that's why I want to attend a few events before actually shooting in one.

2. Can you travel to other GSSF matches if they're not in your area?

3. Is a holster really necessary for GSSF?

Anything else about GSSF that you can throw in would be appreciated. Thanks! :)

2. gary newport

gary newport

1. It is easy to shoot a GSSF match--but not so easy to WIN a GSSF match. GSSF is designed to be beginner-friendly. Go for it! Keep doing it and you'll do better.

2. You can participate in any GSSF match (or even all of them, if you have the time and money), regardless of where it is held.

3. A holster is absolutely NOT necessary for GSSF. You won't be drawing from the holster. You can carry your Glock(s) in a range bag. A holster MAY be used in GSSF--but only for carrying the gun betweeen stages, and the slide must be locked to the rear with no magazine in the gun.

4. Check out the GSSF forum on GlockTalk for hints, tips, and as a place for asking questions about GSSF.

Try GSSF--I think you'll like it! I know I do.

3. Fred

Fred Lifetime Member Millennium Member

moved to GSSF forum...

4. Don At PC

Don At PC Senior Member Millennium Member

First, Welcome to Glock Talk and GSSF. Also you can check www.gssfonline.com for Rules, schedule, match scores and much good to know info. It would also be great if you would tell us what State you are in. We could maybe add some additional info of interest to you. ;)

5. DannyR

DannyR Moderator Millennium Member

All you need to shoot a GSSF match is stock Glock, 2 magazines (4 are better, 10 is best), 150 rounds of ammo, ear & eye protection, Glock Box or shooting bag. GSSF shooters are the friendliest shooters in any pistol competition, and will be willing to help you through your first match. Let us know in which State you reside.

6. 1inthechamber

1inthechamber

Sorry about posting in the wrong forum.

I reside in Oregon, and there is 1 event in Roseburg which isn't too far. I would go as far as Colorado since I have family there, that would be a nice little road trip, which reminds me of the '06 GLOCK Annual article about GSSF.

Is there any fee to watch an event?

Thanks for all the replies! :)

7. Don At PC

Don At PC Senior Member Millennium Member

There is no fee to watch. All that would be required is Ear & Eye protection and sign a Liability Waiver. I would recommend that you bring your shooting gear because I haven't seen many that when they saw how much fun it was didn't want to shoot right away. There are several matches in your general area on this seasons schedule:
    California---Piru
    Richmond
    Norco
    Washington---Shelton
    Oregon-------Roseburg
    Montana------Missoula
    Utah---------Salt Lake City
    Arizona------Tucson
    Colorado-----Greeley

I have traveled fron the Florida Pan Handle to Las Vegas twice for a match and regularly travel up to 900 miles each way to matches. It becomes a fever very soon.:cool:

8. DannyR

Shelton, WA is this weekend and Greeley is the following weekend.

9. Rhandhali

Rhandhali

Out of curiosity what sort of 9mm ammo would be good to bring? WWB, Blazer, Wolf, Brown/Golden/Silver Bear or the like?

10. gary newport

gary newport

Something that has proved reliable and accurate in your Glock. I like CCI Blazer aluminum-cased ammo. Quite a few folks like the WWB (Winchester White Box) 100-round value packs available at many Wal-Mart stores for a good price.

11. Norske

Norske Millennium Member

Use whatever shoots reliably and accurately in your particular gun.

12. DannyR

One of the top GSSF Masters uses Winchester USA from WalMart in his Major Subcompact, Master Stock and Unlimited GSSF pistols.