Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there a nylon shoulder rig that is comfortable for every day wear--at home -- without being attached to a belt? I never thought I would post such a question. However, that video of the home invasion a day or so ago is making me think. Covid-19 related crime is on the increase.

I'm in TX with brutal sweaty summers. I don't want leather. I'm wondering if there is something that is very comfortable to just wear around the house, unattached to a belt, for a G19.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You’re not planning on wearing pants, are you.

Because I’m imaging that you’re not planning on wearing pants. Like an old Mike Hammer episode. :D
Haha.......I wear nylon athletic shorts and a T-shirt 99.9% of the time that I'm not working. I'm wondering how much flopping around the shoulder rig would be without a belt. Also, I don't want too much clumsy biz retrieving the gun if needed.

I rarely concealed carry at all before a year or so ago. Now look what I'm asking. This is getting nuts. I live on a state Hwy and have had some sketchy people knock on the door in the past year or so. I'm not answering the door after dark any more at all....period.....zip....Nada.

·
Registered
5,710 Posts
Haha.......I wear nylon athletic shorts and a T-shirt 99.9% of the time that I'm not working. I'm wondering how much flopping around the shoulder rig would be without a belt. Also, I don't want too much clumsy biz retrieving the gun if needed.
Would probably think about a belly band in that situation. There are a few that are pretty lightweight and comfortable.

There are also holster clips (like the Ulti-clip) that can kind of work with athletic shorts too.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I guess I operate with the old saying, "First rule in a gun fight it to have a gun." Just having it in a shoulder rig, whether or not I could compete with Quick Draw McGraw, is all that matters.

If I hooked a G19 to my nylon shorts it would only take one misstep for me to be standing in nothing but drawers. :bump:

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It's not the money. It's the sweat.

I have only tried on a shoulder rig, which was many years ago. I was quite impressed with the comfort. If I lived in a cold weather climate I would wear a good leather shoulder rig daily.

I'm in TX, and this is for leisure comfort at home. With nylon I could gently wash it and hang dry. Leather -- I don't think so.

·
Registered
14,423 Posts
It's not the money. It's the sweat.

I have only tried on a shoulder rig, which was many years ago. I was quite impressed with the comfort. If I lived in a cold weather climate I would wear a good leather shoulder rig daily.

I'm in TX, and this is for leisure comfort at home. With nylon I could gently wash it and hang dry. Leather -- I don't think so.

Nylon you wouldn't even have to gently wash, most of the ones I have seen, they looked like the were made of seatbelt webbing...Uncle Mike's had a shoulder holster line, I don't know if they still do..

·
Registered
6,061 Posts
Alien Gear makes both a chest and nylon shoulder holster. Never used them so I can’t comment on any of their products. Blackhawk did at one time as well. Again no idea on how good or bad they are.

If you’re wearing it inside and not worried about concealing it aka over a tshirt, I don’t think sweat is going to be an issue. Even if you’re going outside you’ll need to wear a shirt underneath which will protect leather from sweat...mostly.

If you’re not interested in concealment, you can also look for a chest rig. Hiking, Search and Rescue... one option could be a Hill People Gear kit bag. Kind of like a fanny lack worn at chest level.

·
Registered
103 Posts
In Desert Storm I carried a 1911 in a Bianchi X-15 Dirty Harry shoulder holster and it was not too hot ... first few months it was directly attached to my flak jacket ... after that I just wore it as normal ... I wish I still had that holster

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
Is there a nylon shoulder rig that is comfortable for every day wear--at home -- without being attached to a belt? I never thought I would post such a question. However, that video of the home invasion a day or so ago is making me think. Covid-19 related crime is on the increase.

I'm in TX with brutal sweaty summers. I don't want leather. I'm wondering if there is something that is very comfortable to just wear around the house, unattached to a belt, for a G19.
I would check with Galco, they have great stuff.

·
Values. Can't be bought.
13,146 Posts
Meh, if you want a shoulder holster, bite the bullet, spend the money, and go with leather....something like the Galco Miami Classic will fit the bill nicely.

Or....

You could wear pants.
You don't have to wear pants to wear a belt. Just sayin'. :)

·
Registered
5 Posts

Hi! I did it a little differently. I used a used “x15” type holster for the gun in leather, then bought a cheap “carry system” in nylon. undid the horizontal holster, attached the leather vertical holster. Sewed up a couple of nylon ends and done. Being right handed the holster fit under arm, IF WANTED could connect to the belt. The other side can carry 2 mags offsetting the weight with perfect balance connected or not. Works well with gym attire or a suit. My normal carry w/pants is an summer special on right hip.

good luck!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
658 Posts
Danny B, I think I still have a nylon shoulder set I'll send you for the price of shipping. I'll look in my gear box tomorrow for it. I'll PM you.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts