close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

New to Shoots, any in my area?

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by Anniegetyourgun, Jul 8, 2002.

1. Anniegetyourgun

Anniegetyourgun

Hi, I live in Bellingham Washington and would like to get started in and learn about competition shooting. Patricia suggested I look here for advice on a newbie getting started.

How do I find a place local to go?

Is it expensive to get started? Are trainers available? Gee I dont even know what ?s to ask. So help if you can.

Thanks

2. mcsd2598

mcsd2598

Go to www.gssfonline.com they have a schedule, map, course of fire, and alot more info. Also read all the tips, and other stuff up top. All the "sticky's"

There was a match in june it looks like in Shelton WA. There is also a match in Northern Idaho. July 20, 21st(I think). Depending on where your at it might be worth the drive.

3. Anniegetyourgun

Anniegetyourgun

Thank you MCSD I see there is something going on in Shelton Aug 17-18 maybe I can take a drive down there if I can get the time off.

4. Rusty Phillips

Rusty Phillips Moderator Millennium Member

sharyn

you dont have to have anything at all to get started.

plenty of people will bend over backwards to help get newbies started out... (loaning you guns, ammo, holsters, eye and ear protection, free advice, etc ) if only to have someone listen intently to them and say things like - "gosh you sure are a good shooter", or "gee, i dont think i will ever get to be as good as you are" (even if it isnt exactly true)

(i think that women and teens have an easier time of getting help in this and many other aspects - because adult males are not programmed to ask for assistance or direction, nor are we likely to offer assistance to other males unless they ask - its some biological thing i guess)

that aside - the fact is that with a bit of time and constructive / meaningful practice you can be a heck of a good pistol shooter, and well on your way to helping others who are newer newbies than you are (or used to be ;))...

pretty soon you the person who loaned you his/her guns will take great pride in telling others "yea - I taught her all she knows" or something to that effect.

as far as what you need...
    i think the better question is what do you already have?
    after you answer that we would go from there...

resist the urge to go out and buy stuff now, dont even worry about that... you will have plenty of time later to spend money that you dont have.

the reason for me saying this is that my sister in law (who is a left leaning 40 - 50 something divorcee) works for a podunk small town newspaper and last year she did a big writeup on the guns and shooters of eastern north carolina (ok - she works at the wilson times if it means anything to anybody)

at any rate - she was invited to shoot sporting clays, high power rifle, benchrest, muzzle loader, action pistol (ipsc i think) cowboy action, and a zillion other types of shooting sports.

she is still turning down offers to go shooting...... but the opportunity is there if she wanted to go.

i would suggest that you find your local range and get introduced (oh heck - go introduce yourself) to one of the friendly old cuss's out there who shoots everything...

while you might now be thinking about getting into GSSF (not a bad thing).... maybe Cowboy Action would be more fun or better for you....

the only way to find out what you want to shoot is to try them all

stay safe - have fun

rusty

5. Rusty Phillips

so sharyn

in your email you mentioned the spoting clays / skeet range nearby your house

did you stop by? how did it go?

have you found a local pistol range yet?

id like to know how well it went,

6. Anniegetyourgun

Anniegetyourgun

Hey Rusty, I on my way out to the clay shooting range on Sunday to meet with some trainers and get an idea of what they offer and cost of membership. I also found an ad for another one that is a rifle/pistol/trap shooting range in Bellingham. I am checking into them on my next day off.
    I will let you know how it goes, wish me luck!!

7. DannyR

DannyR Moderator Millennium Member

Sharyn,

All you need to get started in GSSF is a stock Glock and 150 rounds of ammo. It helps to have 4 magazines. GSSF is not an equipment race, but a match based on stock Glocks--no holsters, mag carriers, fancy belts, aftermarket accessories. If you go to the Shelton match, look for Alice Rhea. She is a fine shooter that will offer assistance to you. Her husband Dale is one of the top Glock shooters in the USA.

Good luck and have fun.

8. Rusty Phillips

one other thing

our local IDPA bunch (led by DM-SC) has a womens only IDPA shoot once per year (or so)

http://www.scfirearms.org/mcrc/index.html

the club also has a juniors program for 12 - 18 yr olds.

i think that you might find your local club does the same thing

if not they might be considering doing so... so ask them

and definitely make plans to go to the GSSF match thats coming your way later this year

we will make sure that someone gets you the gun and gear that you need!

9. Anniegetyourgun

Anniegetyourgun

Thanks Rusty! YOur great! Please let me know about the GSSF shoot out my way!! wow Im getting excited now! Finally things are starting to happen. I love to shoot, thanks to my ex husband, and think I could be pretty darn good at it with time and practice...

I will ask at the places Im stopping at this week about the matches you mentioned too.

10. Rusty Phillips

see - you are learning already - good job