New to rifles, help with .223 rounds please.

Discussion in 'Caliber Corner' started by REA9mm, Feb 28, 2010.

1. REA9mm

REA9mm get ready

Hi, I am new to AR shooting and am looking to pick out some .223 ammo for the first time. This will be mostly a range gun, but also used for HD along with my Glock 19.

For the range is it best to just find the cheapest price? Is the brown/silver bear stuff gonna feed reliably and be fine for range?

For HD loads, is it best to go for the ballistic rounds if I am considering hollowpoints? Should I get frangible rounds to prevent over penetration?

TIA

2. N/Apower

N/Apower

What weapon do you have and what is the barrel-twist rate?

3. Kalmah

Kalmah Supreme Member

It's a lot of reading, but very informative. Everything you could possibly want to know about .223/5.56 ammo.

http://ammo.ar15.com/ammo/

4. REA9mm

REA9mm get ready

Thank you for the link. I have an Olympic Arms OA-93 Carbine. I do not know what the barrel-twist rate is on it.

5. Mwinter

Mwinter I'm MilkMan Dan

The twist rate should be stamped somewhere on the barrel (1/9, 1/8, etc.)....I've had Olys with odd twist rates (1/10, etc.) before.

For indoor ranges (inside 25yds) you probably won't notice any appreciable difference in accuracy between domestic brands between 55 and 69 grains with most common length/twist combos.

www.hornady.com and www.le.atk.com both have gobs of test data online for various
    .223 antipersonnel loads.

Assuming your platform is nothing unusual (barrel length between 16-20", twist from 1/9 to 1/7), then the Hornady 75gr TAP would be my first choice for general defensive use. Step down to the 60gr TAP if 'overpenetration' is an overriding concern.