close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

New to rifles, help with .223 rounds please.

Discussion in 'Caliber Corner' started by REA9mm, Feb 28, 2010.

1. REA9mm

REA9mm get ready

Hi, I am new to AR shooting and am looking to pick out some .223 ammo for the first time. This will be mostly a range gun, but also used for HD along with my Glock 19.

For the range is it best to just find the cheapest price? Is the brown/silver bear stuff gonna feed reliably and be fine for range?

For HD loads, is it best to go for the ballistic rounds if I am considering hollowpoints? Should I get frangible rounds to prevent over penetration?

TIA

2. N/Apower

N/Apower

What weapon do you have and what is the barrel-twist rate?

3. Kalmah

Kalmah Supreme Member

It's a lot of reading, but very informative. Everything you could possibly want to know about .223/5.56 ammo.

http://ammo.ar15.com/ammo/

4. REA9mm

REA9mm get ready

Thank you for the link. I have an Olympic Arms OA-93 Carbine. I do not know what the barrel-twist rate is on it.

5. Mwinter

Mwinter I'm MilkMan Dan

The twist rate should be stamped somewhere on the barrel (1/9, 1/8, etc.)....I've had Olys with odd twist rates (1/10, etc.) before.

For indoor ranges (inside 25yds) you probably won't notice any appreciable difference in accuracy between domestic brands between 55 and 69 grains with most common length/twist combos.

www.hornady.com and www.le.atk.com both have gobs of test data online for various
    .223 antipersonnel loads.

Assuming your platform is nothing unusual (barrel length between 16-20", twist from 1/9 to 1/7), then the Hornady 75gr TAP would be my first choice for general defensive use. Step down to the 60gr TAP if 'overpenetration' is an overriding concern.