Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK please someone tell me...is it any different reloading .357 sig? I understand the bullet setback etc. etc. However I cannot seem to find anyone post a thread without some sort of shortcut or tip or trick to loading this round. It seems everyone wants to load a 9mm bullet or .40 casing necked down... I want to know if I buy .357 sig Starline Brass....357 sig Montana Gold JHP...Accurate #9 powder...SP primers...a Dillon XL650 progressive press w/.357 carbide die set and all the accessories can I load this effing cartridge.

OR do I have to crimp twelve times, trim, chamfer, hold my head just right, crimp again, push press test, crimp again and then roll it around in some walnuts and corn...thanks in advance for your help

·
Registered
35,930 Posts
IF you use the right dies, which the Dillon are, & you set them up correctly, loading the 357sig is no diff than any other round. The only caveat is you must use an appropriate bullet. That is a 9mm TC style or one designed specificaly for the 357sig. I do NOT chamfer, I do slightly bell the case using the powder thru on my 550B, decent taper crimp, they run fine. If you are not getting good neck tension, check the dia of the powder thru funnel & polish it down 0.0005" for just a bit more neck tension. I just went thru 100rds yesterday; 124gr MG JHP o/ 8.8gr LS=1300fps+ in my P239.

·
Registered
637 Posts
This round is not as hard to load as people make it seem. You just have to use the right bullet, and crimp it good. I use Hodgdon Longshot powder, and Lee dies and my reloads function perfectly.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
should i expect that the montana gold .357 jhp bullet is going to give me problems??? Plan to use Accurate #9...unless I should look at something better.

The belling and powder funnel thing has me a little confused...trying to research this. Is it a separate part or just part of the powder die???

·
Registered
637 Posts
You are getting the 357sig specific bullets from Montana Gold right? They should work right.

No. 9 should work great.

I don't bell the mouth very much at all before I seat the bullet. Just enough to fit the bullet in.

·
Registered
35,930 Posts
should i expect that the montana gold .357 jhp bullet is going to give me problems??? Plan to use Accurate #9...unless I should look at something better.

The belling and powder funnel thing has me a little confused...trying to research this. Is it a separate part or just part of the powder die???
On the DIllon, the powder thru die has a funnel that comes w/ the caliber conv. They are separate.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts