GlockTalk Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My latest toy: Marlin 39A.

1976 manufacture and in very tidy condition, except the rear sight has been cut off when the scope mount was fitted. Easy enough to replace.

The head of one of the scope mount screws is really messed up and the other is made of brass! It had a cheap Bushnell scope on it but I've got an older 4x Redfield which will be a good match for this rifle.

Also the magazine tube has been crimped to only allow it to hold 10 rounds to comply with NZ laws.

I took it for a shoot and it ran really well until a 1940s round of CAC ammo failed to extract. That cut the session with the Marlin a bit short. I needed a cleaning rod to tap the case out.

The weather is rubbish today, otherwise I'd take it for a shoot.

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
Congrats. They are fun rifles. Can you show us a photo of how the magazine tube was crimped?

Reactions: FullClip

·
Native Mainiac
20,530 Posts
Nice rifles for sure. I have mine propped up by the sliding door onto the deck. It's loaded up with CB shorts to deal with the large flocks of grackles that come around once in a while. I like feeding the birds, but hate those grackles.

·
Registered
3,361 Posts
Many times I have bought something, then later think to myself, hell, I could have got that 39A I've always wanted. I still don't have one. But I still want one.
Congratulations. Nice rifle.

·
Registered
4,408 Posts
Few years back I picked up a beauty mid sixties vintage. Came with a leather marlin sling that came with it the previous owner stated. Looked so good i was afraid it wouldn't shoot as well as I'd hope. Well it did, one raged whole at 25 yards with open sights. Excellent rifle, everyone should own one, talk about built like a tank, enjoy.

·
17,612 Posts
My latest toy: Marlin 39A.

1976 manufacture and in very tidy condition, except the rear sight has been cut off when the scope mount was fitted. Easy enough to replace.

The head of one of the scope mount screws is really messed up and the other is made of brass! It had a cheap Bushnell scope on it but I've got an older 4x Redfield which will be a good match for this rifle.

Also the magazine tube has been crimped to only allow it to hold 10 rounds to comply with NZ laws.

I took it for a shoot and it ran really well until a 1940s round of CAC ammo failed to extract. That cut the session with the Marlin a bit short. I needed a cleaning rod to tap the case out.

The weather is rubbish today, otherwise I'd take it for a shoot.
That is a beautiful gun. I don't know if there are any gunsmiths where you are but a good gunsmith could take care of those buggered screws for you and replace the rear sight but the scope will work just fine in the meantime.

You say the weather is bad, but isn't it summer down under in Kiwi land? The Model 39 is the gun that I hope Ruger will start making again now that they own Marlin.

·
Registered
781 Posts
I had one a long time back (my 1st firearm at 18 and I'm 60 now). But, it was the shorter & lighter straight stocked 39M. Very accurate, heavy duty and I thought the Micro Grooved rifling was unique. Sold it like a dummy in my 20's.

·
Registered
3,946 Posts
Just the other week I shot the family's 1955 vintage 39A for the first time in 50 years. Why, oh why did I wait so long? Oh yeah, it was at another family members home all that time. They had it long enough and will never get their hands on it again. :D

·
Registered
52 Posts
As a kid growing up in the '60's I drooled over the Marlin catalog and the model 39's. Always said that when I grew up I would own one. Out of college my first real paycheck went to a Mountie in 1981. Since then I have owned a dozen or so of them and currently have five in the safe. As many firearms as I have gone through over the years, the Model 39 is still one of my favorites.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts