new (to me) gun day - Sig 228

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by jr24, Aug 5, 2020.

1. jr24

jr24

Been doing a bunch of selling during the pandemic and decided to turn Glock 26 into a Sig P228, a bit used but so was the Glock.

I had moved away from DA/SA over a year ago because I don't generally care for the system and wanted to focus on SAO and Glock triggers, plus my last DA/SA (Sig 229) was trade bait for an excellent deal I got on a Dan Wesson Valkyrie (cost me $550 out of pocket, after a series of trades, great deal on a 90+% DW).

Long story short, I wanted another DA/SA mostly for dry fire and to work on that DA trigger control, figuring it will only help me with my favored SAOs in the long run, fundimentals and all that. Plus, my wife was a little annoyed when I traded the 229 because it was her favorite.

So I brought home a used 228, a little beat up finish, dead night sights but otherwise in good shape, not a ton of Sig smile and the tails and internals looks real solid, not shot a ton. Plus, I know the guy who owned it and he takes good care of his stuff. Handed it to my wife and yeah, she likes it even better than the 229, which is good because she had been eying up my EDC X9 lately, and that's mine, dang it.

Haven't had a chance to shoot it, but did break out the iTarget Pro and complete a Dot Torture (such as can be done dry fire) at 5 yards, though I had to go SA on the off hand to keep em in the circle, the rest of the one handed and first shots were DA. I was pretty happy with that since I haven't actually shot a DA since late summer/fall 2018.

I haven't actually owned the 228 yet, but I did have a old model 229 years ago, along with all the other major p series except the 224 and I think this might be my favorite size of the lot. Still like the 226 overall better, but it's very close, and still wish they had kept the full 226 grip instead of the only marginally reducing the grip on the 228. Still, it's lighter than the modern 229, only 35 oz loaded with 13+1 and right about 36 if I add 2 more to the scale (I think Mec gar makes 15 round flush fit 228 mags, right?), almost exactly the same as my EDC X9 and almost exactly the same size as my Wilson, so ideal size for carry on my body.

I did notice right away that I now hate 3 dot white sights, and if I get serious about this gun I'll have to change those ASAP, I've gotten so used to blacked out or minimal rear sights the bright white on the rear sight distract the heck out of me and slow down finding the front sight quite a bit. I did see Ameriglo list the CAP available for "most SIG models" so the option of my absolute favorite sights intregues me quite a bit, much better than anything I can get on my Wilson right now.

Anyway, enough rambling. I hope to get a few rounds through it this weekend, probably do the August GT challenge and a quick run on the July one too, just for fun.

Sorry for the poor picture, was in a rush (and I'm no BAC, carpet ain't clean enough :D)

IMG_20200804_164407_01.jpg

Seven High, DonGlock26, BobCZ and 8 others like this.
  2. jr24

jr24

Oh yeah, grips clearly aren't original, since they say 229. There's a poor fit at the left side by the beavertail and it's a bit jabby, might have to sand that down or find some different grips.

Also; someone had noted either here or elsewhere the EDC X9 feels more like Sig than a 1911, I will say that between these two they feel strikingly similar, so very apt. Most of the recent Sig's I have handled were either the 229-1, which is much fatter, had beefy grips that didn't feel the same, or were Legions which actually feel better to my hands.

So yeah, this basic style 228 feels a lot like my X9, though I prefer the bigger beavertail and texture of the Wilson

Last edited: Aug 5, 2020
    -JCN- likes this.

3. Valmet

Valmet M62/76 Silver Member

Sweet- those 228s are awesome pistols. My dad has carried his since ‘95. I’m more of a Glock guy but I’d say you did well turning a Glock 26 into that.

jr24 likes this.
  4. jr24

jr24

Thanks, I agree. Never much used the 26 after I determined my 19 conceals just as well anyway. 19, 19x and 21 are all the Glocks I need and I moved the rest on.

Did a bunch of dry fire, some of it timed today and I'd have to say I'm impressed with how this one works out of the holster, doing the timed challenges @-JCN- put together a few months ago I'm actually a bit faster out of the holster than my much more familiar X9, 1.35 was average at 5 yards still hitting inside a 6" circle, compared to the 1.5 average with the Wilson.

Slow fire, DA accuracy is certainly where I struggle, but that was the point of picking up another DA/SA to work on that very skill.

I look forward to doing some FAST and Devil drills with it this weekend, I think I'm going to like the numbers, though the different location on the slide stop will surely slow me down a few tenths as I either use it strong hand or overhand, depending on what feels best.

Ameriglo confirmed that I can get my favorite CAP square sights for it, that plus allowing me to get my preferred Vedder makes this thing a intreguing possibility for a carry gun, but it's gonna need to do some serious performing to chase the Wilson out of my holster (and if I was serious, some trigger work and an SRT kit).

-JCN- likes this.
  5. Joshhtn

Joshhtn The eBay Guy Gold Member

Congrats on a fine pistol!!

jr24 likes this.
  6. Kalmah

Kalmah Supreme Member

Yes, Mec-Gar does make a 15rd flush fit mag for the P228 and legacy P229.

You can also get a SIG 15rd mag. But since Mec-Gar makes the mags for SIG, you might as well just buy Mec-Gar, they're less than half the price of mags with the SIG stamp on them.

Congrats on the pistol. Enjoy.

jr24 likes this.
  7. jr24

jr24

Thanks, I hadn't looked into this model much but I thought I saw one when I was getting 18 round Mec Gars for my 226 last year.

Can't see a reason to buy a Sig branded mag when the Mec Gars work just as good, at least in my experience with the aforementioned 226. Can't say when the original mags have even made it out of the drawer even though I shoot the 226 at least once a month.

8. Gray Dood

Gray Dood

The P228 and P225 are my favorite DA/SA pistols by far. And I've had a lot of different makes to experiment with.

Congratulations on a nice snag.

Thanks for sharing it.

jr24 likes this.
  9. jr24

jr24

Funny you mention the 225. Also this week got a line on a nice shape 225 and the owner will hold it (inheritance) till I can get the cash for it, probably next year.

It's "the one that got away" I thought was sold years ago, but it popped back up. So I'll get that one down the road and finally have a use for the random 225 mag I've had laying on my gun bench for years.

10. Gray Dood

Gray Dood

IMHO, the P225 is THE single stack 9mm EDC to own. And I'm referring to the original P225, not the A1 version. I bit on the newer one in 2019 and sold it within 2 months. Was a FTF-amatic with a variety of mags.

Just my $.02.

11. jr24

jr24

Agree. Had a P6 years ago and it's the closest gun I've had to regretting selling, but the buddy I sold it to really wanted it and I'm happy that he has it. I mostly regretted not getting another when they were cheap.

The A1, yeah, I don't like them as much either.

12. G26-Has-my-6

G26-Has-my-6

Markers_Sharpie_Black_no_text_e9ce59a8-7225-4a69-a64a-bfc7aa76c92b_1024x1024.jpg

13. jr24

jr24

It's an option, not sure if that'll cover the rest tritum as well, but I might do that in the mean time.

Probably electrical tape though, that's my go to for range gun rear sight blacking out.

14. BarryR

BarryR

I had a 229 and a 239 both were 40/357's Great guns. Looks like you made a good trade.

jr24 likes this.
  15. steve1911

steve1911

Congrats on Sig 228.

1911club#410

jr24 likes this.
  16. kahrcarrier

kahrcarrier FAHRENHEIT

I like it. Congrats.

jr24 likes this.
  17. AWMP

AWMP

Congrats on the 228, great pistol.

jr24 likes this.
  18. GlockWheeler

GlockWheeler

I picked up a P228 a shirt while ago and am quite happy with it. Great shooter. Congratulations.

jr24 likes this.
  19. bac1023

bac1023

Very nice

I actually have a WG P228 set aside at my local shop.

Seven High, jr24 and BobCZ like this.
  20. BobCZ

BobCZ

Good move up.