close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

New-to-me Gen 4 G23 range report

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by avenues165, Aug 18, 2012.

Tags:
  1. avenues165

avenues165

I finally picked up the used Gen 4 G23 I put on lay away a few weeks ago. I have had it for ~10 days, but I was only able to go out today for the first range time with it.

I was nervous about taking a chance on the pistol after hearing all of the BTF complaints with the Gen 4 and late Gen 3 pistols. I found out today that I have no reason at all to worry. Ejection was flawless. I shot a three different loads, and all of them ejected to 4:00 very positively.

The loads I shot were Fed AE 165gr (100 rounds), Fed Champion 180gr (100 rounds), and Fiocchi 165gr TCEB (50 rounds). All shot well, but the pistol really liked the Fiocchi, giving me some of the best groups I have had with a .40 s&w.

I am so pleased with my purchase. The pistol was nearly brand new and I expect to have it for a long time. The Gen 4 grips are great and fit me just a bit better than the Gen 3 grips.

It's funny, this pistol has the original 0-3 spring, 1882 ejector, and dipped extractor. I may try to get the new recoil spring assembly (0-3-3), but since I had such good performance from the pistol I will not get rid of the recoil spring assembly it had in it. If it's not broken, don't fix it!

I also took the Gen 3 G24 with me and put ~150 rounds through it, about half and half .40 s&w and 357 sig. As usual it was a joy to shoot.

Now I am at home, chilling with my wife and our dog. What a great day! I hope y'all have a good weekend too!

2. Glock40man

Glock40man

Sounds like a good day at the range. Glad you are enjoying your G23.:cool:

3. avenues165

avenues165

The Gen 4 recoil spring assembly seems to control recoil better, the pistol was less snappy than my G24 shooting the same loads. Although I was shooting the G24 at the end of my range time and starting to get a little bit of "range fatigue" (love that feeling:supergrin:).

4. TheExplorer

TheExplorer

I'm in the same spot. The consensus is they fail around 500rds, if they are going to. I'm hoping to get that many in this week. Fingers crossed.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2012
  5. avenues165

avenues165

Since I got mine used, I am not sure if I have passed that mark (put 250 round through it today). I will put at least 250 through it on my next range visit, to guarantee I get there. I realize I am not out of the woods yet, but my first range visit was very promising.

My G23 was in such good shape I think it probably had less than 500 rounds through it. My G24, which I bought brand new, had more wear on it after my first range visit than my G23 did when I took it home.

Good luck with yours!

6. TheExplorer

TheExplorer

You, too.:wavey: The 40 is a solid performer, so I'm not going to get too worried. If it happens, I'll just try the extractor and ejector combo. If it still happens, I'll just hold out a bit because I know aftermarket parties are working on a fix for this issue.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2012
  7. bac1023

bac1023

Very cool :cool:

Congrats on the G23.

8. kaech

kaech

Oh really?? Is that what "THEY" say? Sheesh ....here we go....maybe your Uneducated info should leave the forum

9. USAFgoober

USAFgoober

I passed the 500rd mark with my Gen4 23 a while ago. Just put another 180rds through it today at the range, and i'm still waiting for the first casing to hit me in the face/head/shoulder/whatever. I'm sure there are people who have had legitimate problems with their Gen4s, but it shouldnt discourage others from trying them out for themselves.

10. packinaglock

packinaglock John 3:16

I got a gen four G23 when they first came out, still has all the old original parts and it ejects just fine.

11. TheExplorer

TheExplorer

Ahh, another internet tough guy who fails to read the BTF posts. And, "they" would be people on this forum who have had BTF issues.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2012
  12. kaech

kaech

Not to sure where the tough guy thing came in. BUT apparently you are not a glock owner cause if you were your whole way of thinking would have nothing to do with what you read on a internet forum. Unfortunately i have to read "btf" threads all the time now
    Means jack to me cause im not having issues about where my brass lands

13. TheExplorer

TheExplorer

Great for you! Have a nice day.

14. 1rocket69

1rocket69

I just picked up a new Gen 4 Glock 23 last wed. Had range classes Thur and Frid so after class was done stayed to play.

Thur- 300rds
    Fri- 400rds

All Winchester Ranger 135gr JHP
    Shooting from 7yd back to 35 yd, back to 25 yd just one ragged hole if I took my time and made careful shots. Tried some single handed shooting, both strong and support, around cover, shooting on the move and just for the hell of ran our qual course. Shot the same score but MUCH tighter groups than our Duty HK.

Out of 700 rds I had 1 FTF, that was while shooting prone support hand only around cover.....I think that was me limp wristing it. Other than that RAN GREAT!!! Like it better than my duty weapon and my old gen 2 G23, recoil seems less for sure.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2012
  15. TheExplorer

TheExplorer

That's great news. You should be in the clear now. I always stick with AE 180gr. in the 23 for the range, and have never had any issues. Glocks seem to have no problem with that stuff.

16. avenues165

avenues165

I have not tried the AE 180gr., but I shot the AE 165gr. It was my first time shooting AE in .40 s&w, and I have to say I liked it. It seemed a little hotter than most of the .40 s&w plinking/range stuff I buy. I was more accurate with the Fiocchi 165 grain TCEB, but I still liked the AE I shot.

17. avenues165

avenues165

I don't know why I worry about the BTF stuff, probably have read too many BTF threads. As long as my G23 keeps shooting like it did yesterday there is no way I'll switch parts out prematurely. Switching them to replace worn out parts is OK, but to fix a non-existent problem, no way. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

After starting this thread yesterday I thought a lot about the fact that I have been missing out on the Glock compact models for a long time. I love the compact size, weight, feel in my hand, capacity, etc. It very quickly has become my favorite SD pistol.

Going to be getting night sights put on my G23 and buying a .40-9mm conversion barrel this week and a G32 barrel next paycheck. I like having options:smoking: I am not sure if I'll carry it in .40 s&w or 357 sig, either will make me feel well prepared for BGs.

18. texagun

texagun

[​IMG]