New-to-me Detonics 45ACP Combat Master

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by railfancwb, Feb 3, 2010.

1. railfancwb

railfancwb

I have a thing for unusual guns. So when I saw a stainless Detonics 45ACP Combat Master in a local shop, I decided to let it follow me home.

No pictures yet, but it looks like this except for the grips.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=154764080

Took it to the range yesterday, along with a box of 100 WWB. Boy, that is one tough gun for me to shoot! The recoil is at least as strong as anything else I've shot, and the multi-spring recoil setup made the slide very difficult -- almost impossible -- for me to draw back to latch point.

Fortunately, I also took a full size 1911 through which I ran the rest of the ammo.

Anyone else have such a pistol, and if so, what has been your experience?

2. harleyfx69

harleyfx69

nice, let us know how it shoots

3. UniversalBrow06

UniversalBrow06

I've always wondered about Detonics quality. Maybe I just haven't been looking around, but I don't hear too much about them, good or bad. Hmm....

Congrats either way!

4. youngvr4

youngvr4

well what did you expect with a small .45
    the warthog is pretty much the same. except detonics came first.

i'm pretty good friends with one of the guys who created the detonics .45's
    he carry's one around our store everyday. never wears a different gun

5. Iceman cHucK

Iceman cHucK

Had one back in the early 1980s. Had many FTE due to extractor tension loosning up. I think it was their stainless extractor. One time I reinstalled it with too much tension and it pushed back and chipped out a chunk on the rear of slide ; the rear of the slide was angle cut and resulted in less material near the extractor hole. Sold the gun soon after and I believe they went out of business. If the design is the same becareful with the extractor tension! At the time it was the only small 45 out there and it was stainless.

6. joecoastie

joecoastie

Nice! I've always thought those Detonics looked pretty cool. I've always wondered why the rear sight is situated as far forward as it is?

7. Bruce M

Bruce M

The rear sight is located just forward of where the beveling on the rear of the slide stops. Compared with a ParaOrdinance P10 the Detonics is perhaps a half inch longer and the rear sight is about a half inch forward on the Detonics compared to the ParaOrdinance. The Detonics is a bit longer and a bit higher than a Glock 26, perhaps one quarter of an inch.

Back in the day when a J Frame Smith (36 or 60) was perhaps the gold standard of an off duty or concealed carry or plain clothes gun, the Detonics came to the table with a couple more rounds and in an appreciably bigger caliber, for about the same overall dimensions, but much heavier.

Before I had ever heard of 45 super or 10MM (but I don't get out much) Detonics was beefing up ammo with the .451 Detonics

My Detonics has been reliable over the ... sigh... decades.

8. JFrame

JFrame

I have a Detonics Mk VI Combat Professional (basically the Combat Master with an adjustable rear sight). It was purchased circa 1985, and is the only semiauto I own (along with a Glock 27) that has never had a FTF -- not once...That is with every conceivable variation of cheap reload, hollow point, SWC, etc.

(I have a Beretta PX4 that has never jammed also, but I've only put a few hundred rounds through it, so I'm not giving it the "Immortal" status of the Detonics and Glock... ;) ).

I find the Detonics a pleasure to shoot, but I have medium-to-small hands, and have always had a penchant for small autos and revolvers. It has become a safe queen of late, but I would never hesitate to call it into service for which it was designed...

9. G26S239

G26S239 NRA Patron

Congrats put up pics when you can.

10. bac1023

bac1023

Very nice.

I have a ServiceMaster and find it to be a great quality 1911.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. glock2740

glock2740 Gun lover.

Congrats! Now that's a compact. Should be able to CC pretty easy.

12. joe138

joe138

It is my understanding that the rear sight is forward to facilitate thumb cocking the pistol. In the 80's a lot of 1911's were carried with round in chamber and hammer down, not cocked and locked like today.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2010
  13. bac1023

bac1023

Some people carried 1911s with the hammer down on a loaded chamber back in the day.

The divot behind the rear sight is for thumb cocking the hammer.

14. Tony Rumore

Tony Rumore

I had five Combatmasters at one time and one Scoremaster. I carried one of the Combatmasters for several years, but later went to something a bit lighter. I never had any trouble with any of mine.

Tony

15. Willieboy

Willieboy

I like it. You did good.

16. mteagle1

mteagle1

I had a 1970's Combat Master like the picture but with wood grips unfortunately it stolen it the 80's. Gun was proof marked by the designer and had several thousand rounds through it when I bought it new. Sounds strange for a new gun but they used to come to the range and test every gun for 200 rounds with out a failure. Any problems and it went back for repair and got the same treatment on its return. Mine would actually feed empty cases. I still have 3 magazines, 2 stainless and 1 aftermarket black. Make me an offer.

Editted to add stolen serial # CR12514

Last edited: Feb 4, 2010
  17. youngvr4

youngvr4

does it have a double or triple recoil spring?

18. joecoastie

joecoastie

Now I know! Thanks guys.

19. 390ish

390ish

I have a second series with the bellingham stamp. the early ones were made on cast essex frames. i have never heard of any problems with these frames. i got mine cheap. a local drunk inherited some guns and off loaded them at the local shop for next to nothing. i came in the same day and got the detonics cheap. it is every bit as accurate as my series 70 combat commander. i think it weighs more than the combat commander despite being 1.25 inches shorter. it is a real hunk of steel. i really like mine. has wood grips, stainless. you won't get rid of it.