close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

New to GT, and G19 (Long post)

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by rixtrix1, Feb 4, 2010.

1. rixtrix1

rixtrix1

After many many years without a firearm, a friend surprised me this Christmas with a blue box G19 he picked up from Glockmeister! So, I decided to do some research, found this site and lurked a while to get a bit of feel for it and found it to be quite informative. I had a few rifles and shotguns in my younger years, but only one handgun, a P89 Ruger. Those all went away for many and various reasons and with a move to a major city( Phoenix) , job changes and kids with disabilities, I didn't have time for shooting or hunting.

My interest in shooting was rekindled about 3 years ago by some work associates( one of whom gave me the Glock) who are heavily into powder guns, but since I lived in town with little opportunity to get out, I started shooting precision airguns competitively. I could practice in my backyard out to 50 yards and I did make it to 3-4 matches a year. Joining NRA and reading American Rifleman expanded the sport even more. Now All I need to do is find some ammo, hopefully at a reasonable price( Gunshow coming up in 2 weeks!). We visited 4 gunshops, Bass Proshops and even Walmart and no 9mm to be found. When I get some, I'll get the wife to accompany me to a range for some instruction and a lot of practice.

One question for now: does anyone make a hard, belt or paddle holster that's padded on the inside? I like the accessibility and retention/release features of a "plastic" holster, but don't appreciate the gun rubbing against it. I do plan on carrying it on hikes in the desert and mountains occasionally. The holster I had for the Ruger had a strap which was a pain to release in a hurry, but leaving it loose wasn't an option. Thanks.
    [​IMG]

Ric Grassmick

Last edited: Feb 4, 2010
  2. pangloss9

pangloss9

3. bac1023

bac1023

4. Ima19man

Ima19man

I'm in the same boat you are brother! New to GT, G19 and the ongoing hunt for the elusive 9mm bullets! It seems that every homie, brotha and pimp carry a 9 in my town, soooo... walmart is always empty. BUT!!!! Farm and fleet has mountains of it for a while after they get a shipment. Think outside the box and you might find the ammo you need. And always purchase the max you can when the opportunity hits. Goodluck and welcome to the forum!

5. shooter9696

shooter9696

6. robertwh

robertwh

Cool! Welcome and Congrats!:cool:

7. rixtrix1

rixtrix1

Silent Thunder looks like a great deal, but a lot pricier than a noisy Fobus. Thanks for the links and welcomes!

Ric

Last edited: Feb 4, 2010
  8. thegriz18

thegriz18 Paper Killer

Once you start carrying holster wear will become cool. I was like you at first about not messing up the finish. Well, I know that it is a Glock, its a go there do that pistol and the holster wear will show you where you went and what you did. I started with a Fobus, excellent holster for $20 and a great holster for hiking. Trust me, holster wear shows that you are using the pistol the way it was intended. Don't forget, it's a Glock, use it and abuse it, it will still go bang. I've been carrying mine for over a year now and I'm starting to wear the polymer edges of the frame and the slide edges are starting to wear off. I'm 23 and my gun was bought NIB by me (my Dad) in 2004 when I was 17. The slide has the slick finish that is more resistant to holster wear than the rough finish as of late. People see the frame wear and edging on the slide and don't believe me that I'm responsible for all of it. They say I had to buy that gun used... No says I!:cool:

I was practicing racking the slide one handed in my basement, slipped out of my hand and impacted the concrete floor. Nice little ding on the rear corner of the slide. I also busted an Ameriglo front night sight dropping it onto a tile floor while practicing reloading, totally unloaded of course. You will be like that soon.

BTW: :welcome:

Last edited: Feb 5, 2010
  9. B Coyote

B Coyote

The Safariland 6378 is suede lined.

That said, ANY holster will wear the finish on your gun.

bc

10. Boxerglocker

Boxerglocker Jacks #1 Fan

Given what you have shared in your post, I would advise in forgetting about the AA kit for now, they are FUN but if you want to shoot more for training and practice. You should consider reloading your own ammo. The AA kit is $300 if you can get it (3 month wait if bought new) and you still pay for ammo.

$400 dollars would set you up with a modest reloading set-up namely a Lee classic turret and other associated equipment required. Once you get to the hang of it 125-150 rounds an hour is average.

Setting yourself up to with an initial bulk buy on 9mm components FMJ bullets, primers and powder bullets for say 5000 rounds. It works out to approximently $120 a thousand or better (given your brass is free range pickups, 9mm brass is reloadable on average 6-9 times)

Compared to the cost of those reloads, your savings would pay for the equipment within about 4K rounds.

Check out the sticky posts on how to get started in the reloading section.

In regards to a holster I have only one but somewhat biased opinion for you given needs "BladeTech" otherwise for the money the Glock sport holster can't be beat.

Congrats on your new G19 and welcome to GT. :wavey:

Last edited: Feb 5, 2010
  11. glock2740

glock2740 Gun lover.

Congrats on the new gun and getting back into shooting and hunting. The kydex holsters actually will be easier on your gun than a leather holster. Either way, it's a Glock and a little wear on your carry gun just gives it character.

12. rixtrix1

rixtrix1

Great tips, guys. In talking to one of my airgun buds, he told me he has an extra Fobus holster, AA kit and around 10K of ammo components sitting in his closet that need attention, since he's been shooting airguns and Field Target as his primary shooting about 3 years longer than I have. I had no idea he still had his powder stuff( He's from PA originallyand tried to make the Olympic pistol team a few times, NRA Cert handgun instructor. Said he even has a NIB G19 he got from a GSSF shoot). Sometimes Fate smiles upon oneself. It's amazing how things sometimes fall together.

Ric

13. robin303

robin303 Helicopter Nut

14. beforeobamabans

beforeobamabans FYPM

Welcome to GT. 9mm ammo is now <$200/1000 on the Internet. So I say, Screw Wal-Mart! I bought two cases of 124gr Blazer AL for $189/cs in December. Great practice ammo and made right here in the good ol' U.S. of A.

15. greatwun

greatwun Senior Member

16. muckdawg24

muckdawg24

17. Gtwo3

Gtwo3

RM holsterworks' low rider model is HIGHLY recommended and only about 50 bucks.

18. rixtrix1

rixtrix1

This looks like a great site. Thanks!

19. rixtrix1

rixtrix1

I'll check it out!

20. voyager4520

voyager4520

Welcome and congrats! You have an awesome friend!

Don't shoot unjacketed lead. Glock barrels have polygonal rifling as opposed to traditional rifling, and the lead buildup will cause dangerous pressures.

It's not that you can't shoot reloads(doing so does void your warranty), but it's not wise unless you did the loads yourself. "Remanufactured" ammo is factory reloads. With any partially supported chamber design, the area around the case head is stretched a lot more and will give out sooner. If I reloaded for a partially supported chamber, I'd only use once fired brass.