close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

New to GSSF - Tips / Advice Wanted

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by Sonic Raptor, Jun 7, 2012.

1. Sonic Raptor

Sonic Raptor

Hey folks. I have been considering getting into the realm of competitive shooting. I have been familiar with a pistol since I was a kid, but stuck to the range for paper punching.

I stumbled across a good deal for a G34 at a local gun show last weekend, saw the GSSF brochure in there, and figured it was a sign from above (not sure the better-half agreed with that)... so, I've paid my dues and waiting for the membership packet to arrive in the mail.

So, my question for the highly intelligent folks in here is... Where do you recommend that I start?

Thanks in advance!

2. PM720

PM720

Well, my first suggestion would be get a G17 or a 17 upper for your 34. The 34 can only be used in Competition or Unlimited where you will be shooting against Masters. You can shoot the 17 in up to 4 divisions if you want. I went this same route with my G35 by getting a G22 top end. I shoot Comp and then AmCiv with that. Thinking about adding Master stock as another warmup division.

I am sure you will get a lot of suggestions from others more experienced than I but my practice routine is pretty much practicing at the indoor range on D-1 targets to get used to the sight picture on the actual targets.

Oh yeah, listen to EVERYTHING Bama has to say! :supergrin:

Scott

3. BamaTrooper

BamaTrooper Retired

Bama says, "Listen to Scott"

ETA- and "Shut up Randy!"

Last edited: Jun 7, 2012
  4. Rusty Phillips

Rusty Phillips Moderator Millennium Member

Im a poor old guy

You got a g22.... Have fun with it and the softest ammo you can find

Don't worry bout the 34 just yet

shoot nice and slow
    You may find someone wanting to sell you a cheap g17 topend..........

5. BamaTrooper

BamaTrooper Retired

OP-
    You can check out YouTube and see how the stages are set up; there are several variations of the Glock M and 5 to Glock.

Go to GSSFonline.com and download the most recent Glock Report. Read it and familiarize yourself with the rules.

For equipment, I suggest a 17 over the 34 because you can shoot more categories with it. Buy at least 4 magazines. It will make it easier for you to shoot and decrease inconvenience to the shooter behind you.

Shooting basics stay the same...sights, trigger, grips, etc... stay the same.

6. PM720

PM720

Rusty brought up an interesting point. I basically shoot a G22 but I use the Atlanta Arms .40 minor load which is almost like shooting 9mm. :) Even though you have the shiny new toy you might be better off with the 22 for now.

Scott

7. DannyR

DannyR Moderator Millennium Member

IF you shoot the G34, you sill shoot in Competition Category with Masters, but not against Masters. It's a long time before the next Florida match, but there are some Georgia matches this Summer. I suggest you enter two categories: G22 in Am/Civ and G34 in Competition.

In the meantime, practice controlled pairs at 5, 10, 15, 20 and 25 yards.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2012
  8. lethal tupperwa

lethal tupperwa

and remember you can not miss fast enough to score.

The few seconds you take to get the hit will save you 10's of seconds in penalities.

9. ron59

ron59 Bustin Caps

I have a G34 and a G17. I really love my G34, I shoot it in USPSA and everything else. But I do *not* shoot it in GSSF.

In GSSF I shoot in 3 categories
    Am Civ (17 allowed)
    Competition (17 and 34 allowed)
    Major Sub (G30SF)

I don't like the idea of shooting 3 *different* guns. I think the different "feels" is a handicap. So I shoot my G17 in both Am Civ and Competition. I will usually shoot the Competition division first, the idea is it's the warmup for my Am Civ entry where slightly higher scores often win. (Higher than Competition that is). I'll shoot those two entries back to back, and then I'll shoot the G30. It feels so different (and only one shot per cardboard), I want it to be separate.

Of course.... I also realize money is often an issue, and complete uppers aren't cheap... but a G34 is not the gun that would be my choice for GSSF.

Anyway.... we've all been talking about GUNS in this thread. If you want shooting tips, there's a current thread discussing practice techniques. As far as shooting a match? No tips. Your practice should prepare you for the match. Your first match will be a "Oh, this is how it works" type thing. If you're a GREAT shooter, you can even show up at your first one and win. My buddy Shannon (Blueorb on here) showed up at his first GSSF, shooting MY borrowed G17 (he was a CZ guy) and took first. Rat bastard. Beat me with my own gun. Needless to say, he's now a Glock guy.

10. SARDG

SARDG

I do the exact thing Ron does, with the same guns, in the same Divisions, for the same reasons.

Last match I also added a few other Divisions - like ALL of 'em. I'm really glad I did! :supergrin:

11. yobohadi

yobohadi Peon Trainee

To follow up with what Ron was saying about the practice thread, there is also a thread or two here that covers what to take to your match, folding chair, food, plenty of ammo... that sorta thing. Good info on the forums here that will help you prepare for your first match.

12. Sonic Raptor

Sonic Raptor

Thanks to all for the information and advice. Sounds like the G22 may get some more action then. I have family up in GA, so I may have to make a few trips up that way to drop the newbie status.

Still waiting on the info packet, so I'll look through the forum (and youtube) as recommended. And maybe I'll see if any central FL folks want to get together for some practice... :)

13. SARDG

SARDG

Where do you shoot - Titusville, Police Hall of Fame maybe?

14. FLFireLT

FLFireLT

Hey sonic I'm in Deland and a newbie at a bunch of the local competitions ( uspsa, steel, etc) looking to train for gssf in Georgia n south Carolina, if you want a shooting buddy blast me a pm and we can make it happen.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

15. Sonic Raptor

Sonic Raptor

Mostly PHoF. Nice setup and a good group of employees. Gone down to Merritt Island a few times after a trip to B&H.

Need to find some good outdoor ranges.

16. Sonic Raptor

Sonic Raptor

Will do.

17. MajorD

MajorD

I like to tell people shooting gssf is more like 2 handed bullseye than combat shooting- at least initially take it slow and always shoot for two a/b zone hits on every paper and not faster. I second the notion you can't miss fast enough to do well. I know guys who smoke through a 5 to glock stage in 5 seconds but then have misses or up to 20 points in added time due to not hitting the a/b zone. After getting the accuracy down then speed will come later. Use the 22 and shoot stock and competition categories. the lightest available load that functions your gun is the way to go. FYI just in case you don't know all parts in your gun except sights must be glock made parts- no after market trick anything.