close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

New to GSSF questions.

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by G29 Man, Sep 23, 2003.

1. G29 Man

G29 Man Harpin' Millennium Member

I have been shooting for about 9 yrs now and am a pretty good shot. My wife and myself want to start attending GSSF matches in the SE and we are a little nervous about our first time. Are there a lot of first timers that go? We are just worried about getting there and getting stomped. We don't get to shoot many tactical situations at our only 1 distance at a time cardboard target range. Is there anyone else with a range you cannot setup at? What can we do to prepare the best way possible? We are really looking forward to going.

Thanks!

Brian and Tanya

2. G21

G21 Millennium Member

Yes, a lot of first timers go. I introduced a friend to it this year and she already said she can't wait until next year.

As far as preparing, see if your range will allow you to use paper targets the same dimension as the NRA D-1 target.

Remember, GSSF is essentially shooting at one target at a time. You are rewarded more for accuracy than speed. (Although if you can shoot accurately and fast, go for it.)

Read the posts here about preparing for a GSSF match (do a search) and you could also check out sportshooter.com for info.

Also gssfonline.com has tons of info.

3. JWG_34

JWG_34 TeamCarverMount

Not to worry, You and your wife will be warmly welcome at all GSSF matches. You want have a thing to be nervouse about.
    Both of you will be able to shoot in Amature Civilian class, and will be able to enter at least 4 other classes.
    The RO's will be more than glad to talk you through all the stages of fire ,all range commands. And any other questions you might have.
    The group of people you will be shooting with, are a very great bunch of guys and gals. Anyone will be more than glad to answer your questions.
    The most important thing is , Be safe and have a good time.
    If you have any questions before the match ,here is the web site , to visit-www.gssfonline.com
    P.S. They have match dates, cities and directions to all the matches on the web site.
    Good shooting ,and hope you and your wife have a blast.

4. Don At PC

Don At PC Senior Member Millennium Member

Brian and Tanya;
    By all means don't be intimidated about being new to shooting GSSF. It is a family oriented competition and the only pressure should be what you put on yourself. When you attend your first match you will have to view a safety briefing on film, this is required by all the first time. It will provide alot of info about not only general safety but alot of info about the entire course of fire. When you go to shoot the stages just tell the RO that this is your first match and they will bend over backwards to see to it that you understand the proceedures and have a great time. All of us were first timers once so don't let that bother you.

Are you attending the match this weekend at Conyers, GA? It is a big match but one of the best ones on the schedule. You can also look for the folks in the Grey Golf Shirts and White hats from Team Sidearmor and they will be very helpfull.

Welcome to the GSSF Family and by all means be safe and "Have Fun". These are the two requirements.

5. PeaceKeeper

PeaceKeeper

Welcome aboard! I starting shooting GSSF matches a couple of years ago, won a gun on my first match. It is great, my wife started last year and loves it. She now has her own G17 and G26, she bought me a G34 for my last birthday. It is addictive because it is so much fun. Shoot your best and be happy.

Hope to see you at some matches.

Peacekeeper

6. G29 Man

How many rounds do we need for the match? We are probably going to go to the conyers match this weekend if my wife can get off of work on Sat. Is it too late to register? Can I do it with the form via fax?

Brian

7. Don At PC

Since it is at Conyers, yes or signup at the match. The only draw back is the 1st category will cost you $10 more because of late registration. If you register a wee or more before a match you are not penalized the extra money. They do this to try to get as many as they can in advance and they can have the scoresheets already. Don't let this stop you though if you can make it because there are always some who have to signup at the match because of work or other reasons so I am sure you wont be the only ones doing it that way.

As far as ammo I would suggest 150 rounds per category per person. This should be more than you need but if you have to reshoot a stage for some reason this should cover it. I had to reshoot the 5 to Glock 3 times at Statesville because their timer messed up the first 2 times. My son-in-law(DEJ/FL), friends (unclebob) and (Pharaoh) and I will be traveling up together Friday afternoon and returning back to Florida sometime Sunday. We are staying at the Hampton Inn on Dogwood Drive in Conyers. Most of the GSSF folks will either be at the Hampton or LaQuinta both on Dogwood Drive just across the parking lot from each other.

8. G29 Man

We will only be in 1 category each to start. I was planning on signing us up for civ stock. Can you use metal recoil rods in that category? If not will I be able to purchase a stock one there? I saw there is a special female over 18 class. Is it extra to get entered into that class? We have reservations now in Decatur near friends of ours. (I used to live there.) Anything I should bring we wouldn't normally think of?

Thanks again!!

9. G29 Man

Oh yeah...

Is this a from the holster competition? I just thought of that. If so what holster should I be getting for comp on such short notice? I didn't see anyhting about this on the GSSF site. Thanks!

10. Don At PC

Amateur Civilian class must be basically a stock gun. The Steel recoil rod and spring is out. You can see the Glock Armor at the match and he should put a stock recoil rod and spring assy. in free. Sights must be post and notch configuration but do not have to be Glock sights just no Ghost Ring, fiber optic or the like. Check out www.gssfonline.com for all the rules. As for the Adult Female that only separates the Junior Female/Male under 18 from the adults over 18, no extra charge. The juniors under 18 have a little more freedom on gun selection to shoot and only win money and not guns.

11. Andy

Andy Millennium Member

G29 Man,

Noticed a few of your questions so allow me to chime in. No holster draws in GSSF, just start from a low ready (45 degrees downward). You'll need about 100-150 rounds for each entry in AmCiv.

Bring factory loads so that you are allowed to reshoot if there is any malfunction. It is a good idea to bring 4-5 magazines.

Wear a cap or hat as steel plates can send ricochets back to the firing line or audience.

In terms of practice, I'd suggest hitting 25 yd. targets as these tend to be more distant than most of us practice with on a regular basis. Get familiar with the NRA tombstone target's shape. Practice at 11 yds. with 6 in. paper plates so the real 8 in. plates will be easier.

Have fun and enjoy the match!

12. DEJ/FL

DEJ/FL Millennium Member

G29 Man
    The "High Adult Female" is a speical award($75.00) for the adult(over 18)female with the highest score for the Am/Civ catigory.
    Looking forward to meeting you!
    Dan:cool:

13. G29 Man

Last question... so Trijicons are acceptable for stock?. You guys have helped so much and we wouldn't have even went to the match this weekend if it wasn't for you guys. I hope everyone is this nice

Brian:cool:

14. DEJ/FL

DEJ/FL Millennium Member

Brian
    Trijicons are fine for all catigories!:)
    Dan:cool:

15. G29 Man

Read sportshooter and now I have more questions. Do you have to be at a certain event at a certain time? I read you might want to shoot early sunday or late saturday. Is there a choice or do the classes go together as called? Do you only shoot 1 day while there? I am a little confused as to how it works. Thanks again!

16. Don At PC

As soon as you get your scoresheets go and turn the all in at the 3 stages. Then pick the stage you want to start with and wait till you are called to shoot. The scoresheets stay in the order that they were recieved so you don't go to the bottom of the pile if you are not there when called.

The least crowd is usually on Sundays. I usually get there early on Sat. and shoot first thing on Sat. morning, sometimes it is a little wait at some stages but I get to see more of my shooting friends by shooting on Sat. You can shoot whichever day you want its your choice.

No set time by classes just whenever your score sheet was turned in and wait till you are called. No holsters required. Transport guns either in shooting bag, tupperware box it came in or in holster with slide locked back. Start from low ready position, no draws. Accuracy is more important than speed unless you are a real Master Class shooter then naturally you have the speed. If you are only shooting AmCiv then you will only be competing against other AmCiv shooters. If you have a Master Class standing in other diciplines like IPSC/IDPA you should be shooting in U/L Masters in GSSF.

17. G21

G21 Millennium Member

If the match goes smoothly, (as they usually do) you won't have any problem getting done in one day. I can't speak for other matches, but at Hallsville, they ran shooters through very efficiently. Either day would probably be just about the same.

It's best to get there in the a.m. You should take your scoresheets to each stage, then pick one and wait there until you complete that stage. That way, when you are done at that stage, your scoresheet has moved up in the stack at the next stage.

You don't want to give the ROs your sheets as you arrive at each stage, this will add hours to your wait time...

PS you can put your and your wife's scoresheet(s) together, so one can shoot after the other.

Lots of good info at gssfonline.com, most of the past newsletters are there in PDF format.