Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Glockaholic
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everybody, I'm pretty psyched to be a new member here. I'm picking up my first handgun today, a Glock 19 gen 4, through Ed's Public Safety and the GSSF program. I thank everyone who has mentioned that place, I ordered it yesterday and the gun is coming today! Yes, I've been reading all the gen 3/4 wars on here, but I've still decided to go gen 4. Needless to say, I'm pretty excited!!! :cool:

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
Congrats and welcome.

Using Ed's was a smart move on your part. Have you selected your holster and related gear as yet?

·
Registered
255 Posts
Welcome to our forum and congrats on your new GLOCK. You're gonna love it!!!

·
Glockaholic
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys!

I only knew about Ed's because I read about them on here, so I take no credit! I have no idea what holster I want or anything. Since I'm brand new to handguns, I won't CC it until I know I can fully handle the weapon, and until I can trust it 100%. For now, I'll just take it to the range. I do know that if I can find it, my carry load will be the Winchester Ranger 127gr +p+! :cool:

·
20,410 Posts

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
Good idea not running out and carrying your pistol without having a good knowledge base.

Training is important especially now as a beginner so that you do not start off with bad habits. Remember, if you have trouble finding someone to guide you thru the process, you can always post here I'm the forum and a fellow member will adopt you and show you the ropes.

·
toni
2,879 Posts
Cangrats. nice to have you here. A lot of nice guys here, if you need help with any thing ,this is the place. Have a safe day.

·
Glockaholic
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Welcome aboard. My Gen4 G19 has been flawless. We have a GSSF forum here and it's free, so check it out at http://glocktalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=37

The fun of GSSF is shooting the matches and making really great friends. We are a friendly, helpful bunch of shooters. Come see us.

Match info at www.gssfonline.com

Thanks Danny! It'd be really cool to meet some like-minded people and shoot at those events. Only problem is that, honestly, I'm a little intimidated to try it. :nailbiting:I haven't even shot a pistol at a range before, and there's a match coming up in about 5 months here.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Hey and welcome! Glad to see that you took the educated plunge and ordered as a gssf member from eds. I kick myself for not doing the same and spent over 100 dollars more on my first glock than it should have cost me, but you live you learn. Let us know what you think of your new gen4 g19, I believe that'll be my next glock purchase as well. (would like the full-size g17 but it's all relative) Anyway, glocktalk is a great, positive community and I'm sure you'll have a pleasant experience. I'm pretty new as well, and let me tell you this is a huge step up from my state forum (pafoa). Without getting into too many details, if you haven't been pissed off and slandered in awhile you should create an account there. Regardless, congrats on your series of firsts!

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Congratulations on your new purchase. You say that you've never even shot a gun before? I think I would have at least went to a range and shot some different caliber first, but you can't go wrong with a g19. It's probably the best starter pistol on the market. Certainly the most popular. You will be addictedafter the first round. Welcome to glockaholics anonymous. Let US know how you like it.

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
Welcome, and start saving money, because you find that one Glock is never enough!

·
Glockaholic
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks MrV!

Congratulations on your new purchase. You say that you've never even shot a gun before? I think I would have at least went to a range and shot some different caliber first, but you can't go wrong with a g19. It's probably the best starter pistol on the market. Certainly the most popular. You will be addictedafter the first round. Welcome to glockaholics anonymous. Let US know how you like it.
I've shot guns before, but not all that much - shotguns, an AR15, a couple revolvers. I've held my dad's G19 gen 3, and I was sold immediately. The only things I didn't like was the mag release that made me have to rotate my hand to operate, and I wanted a little more finger on the trigger. It seems like the gen 4 may correct both of those for me.

Although I haven't shot much, I've done probably over a year of research about handguns. I've poured over the caliber war threads and articles, studied ballistics charts, weighed prices of ammo, all kinds of stuff. Yes, it would have been better if I had shot a few guns first to compare, but I believe I've made the best decision for me and my family personally.

I've been addicted to Glocks before I've even owned one, so I think my wife is in for a lot of trouble now! :supergrin:

·
Premium Member
380 Posts
Thanks Danny! It'd be really cool to meet some like-minded people and shoot at those events. Only problem is that, honestly, I'm a little intimidated to try it. :nailbiting:I haven't even shot a pistol at a range before, and there's a match coming up in about 5 months here.
Head over to the GSSF forum and let us know which match you're attending; I'll bet someone will be willing to meet you there and help you through the match.

Larry

·
Glockaholic
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I picked up my Glock today, and it's beautiful! Fits great in my hand without any backstraps. It was test fired in August 2010, and came with the 03 spring. Hopefully it'll run smoothly with it. I bought 20 rounds of standard speer gold dots, and a 100 of WWB to run through it, hopefully tomorrow! We all know what it looks like, but here's a pic!

Attachments

·
Registered
121 Posts
Welcome to GlockTalk and congratulations on your G19.

The addiction for more has started...

arayme

·
Glockaholic
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
As a fellow pistol newb, I'm considering your exact GSSF, Ed's, G19 Gen 4 path to Glock ownership, but I'm surprised you got such an "old" gun without the 04 spring. Is this common with an Ed's order?
I'm a little baffled by this myself. I've seen threads where people got new gen 4's this week with test fire dates of this month, and 04 springs. Buying the gun from Ed's was smooth and awesome though...incredibly good experience. I mean, I got my gun in a DAY, with the GSSF package. I'm sure that if you ask them to send you one with a newer test fire date they'll oblige.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts