close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

New to Glocks and will be carrying the G21

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by BigJohn, Feb 9, 2003.

1. BigJohn

BigJohn

Just got hired by a rural Kansas Sheriff's Offcie and will be issued the G21 as a duty weapon. Have never owned a Glock as I have always been a traditionalist (blue steel and walnut). I am told that if I give it a chance, I will learn to love the Glock 21. Any points you want to share;d

2. GMan30

GMan30

You will love it indeed. I bought my first in Oct '02 (G30) and have bought 2 more the past 2 months (G21 & G26). I bought a 4 pistol range bag and haven't decided which Glock is next.;a ;a

3. 132

You can like blue steel and walnut, and still find a place for Glock. If your referring to the 1911, the G21 is lighter, more reliable than most box stock 1911's with a wider variety of ammo, require less maintenance, hold several more rounds, and are more accurate out of the box (generally speaking). Let us know when you're ready for your G30 or G36. It will happen.

4. .45greg

.45greg

I don't know about that, I will give you lighter and more rounds but accuracy and reliability should be about the same with a slight edge going to the 1911 on the accuracy side.
    but it really depends on the pistol are we talking llama or wilson combat?

either way it will serve you well.

5. El Toro Loco

El Toro Loco

Big John,
    I myself went from a Sig and Ruger, shot the glock. The Sig and Ruger are no more. I sold both and only shot glocks. I carry a glock 21 and a glock 30 for back-up;b I would not even go to "work" without my 21. And since you are LEO you get the 13rd Mag HEHE!! D

6. SELFDEFENSE

SELFDEFENSE

Not as pretty or as able to be tricked-out as a 1911, but the best defensive choice you could bet your life on. A 14-round semi with the manual of arms of a revolver.

7. BigJohn

BigJohn

Just got back from the range where I qualified with the G21. I must say I was impressed with the recoil (actually lack of recoil) with this firearm. It seem to be much softer shooting than any 1911 I have ever fired. I was impressed.:) It is still ugly as hell though!;)

8. duncan

duncan Lifetime Member Millennium Member

Love my Kimber Classic but I prefer it for target work and competitions.

My Glock 21 is a better combat weapon out to 20 yards.

As a cop, there is no more durable 45 on the market. Chase perps in the woods, through thickets, drop the Glock, still works.

When you're shooting 230 grain Hydrashoks at quals, you'll appreciate the recoil absorbption of the Glock polymer frame.

9. Londo Mollari

Londo Mollari Emperor

So does the 21 handle recoil better than the 30? I'm thinking of getting one or the other.

10. B Coyote

B Coyote

The G21 is a fine pistol. You'll be well armed.

What's your duty load, do you know?

bc

Edit to add...consider Night Sights and the extended slide stop, if it's allowed.

bc

11. BigJohn

BigJohn

Speer 230 gr. Gold Dot JHP is the duty load. The issue 21 has nite sights already. The range officer made it clear that the proper way to release the slide was to pull the slide to the rear after inserting the new magazine, not to attempt to use the slide release as that would require "fine motor skills" which are hard to come by in a shooting situation. Makes sense to me!:)

12. B Coyote

B Coyote

Kudos to your department for both ammo selection and issuing Night Sights.

bc

13. mbsigman

mbsigman

Mr BigJohn

I've owned many different types of handguns over the years. I've tried to hate the Glocks, I really have. But try as I have, you just can't beat them.

I own several 1911s and (for collecting only) several revolvers, and good giggly wiggly try as I may, I've found that you simply can't beat the Glock.

I own a 30 and a 21 and rotate between them for primary carry. My wife has a 26. Hold 'em up to the light and you can see daylight between the frame and the slide, for Gawd's sake. Try that with your 1911. But you just can't beat them.

I've found Glocks to be accurate as all get out, reliable as hell and tougher than a junkyard dawg. The recoil is much less than on a 1911; it's my perception (and only my perception, not scientific fact) that the polymer actually 'gives' a little to produce a lighter recoil. Regardless, I LOVE my Glocks and I'm sure that after time you'll love them also.

Ugly t'ain't so bad!

Now one more thing: Please do all of us on this website a favor while you're out there laying it on the line for us civilians, please - PLEASE - be careful when you're on the job and wear your vest. We appreciate the job that you do for us.

Remember the Marine Corps motto: You're not allowed to die without permission!

Mike Sigman
    MBSigman@aol.com

14. okla-lawman

okla-lawman

My dept went to glock 21c last year. We switched from S&W 4506.
    They are excellent guns. Our scores on the range went up. I shot master class for the first time in a long time. The gun is lighter and i expect more reliable. We too carry the gold dot 230 grain ammo. True they are not as pretty as a tricked out 1911 but like an
    avid shooter/officer said years ago when glock first came out "glocks are like ugly women....they work hard and get the job done. Pretty women spend too much time getting pretty to work."
    I deffinately dont feel outgunned when io leave the house.

15. Ginny

Ginny Ammo Slinger

I have been carrying a Glock 21 on duty for over a year, now. Our department issues 230-grain Rangers (ie. black talons). I love the thing and became a fan after a couple thousand rounds. I usually carry an extra mag off duty, but, I feel comfortable having "ONLY" 14 rounds when I don't bring the extra mag. I now carry a Glock 30 as my on-duty back-up and sometimes carry it off duty.

THE GLOCK 21 ROCKS !!! ;f

16. duncan

duncan Lifetime Member Millennium Member

I've owned botht eh G21 and the G30 and I prefer the G21.

If I'm going to have a "thicker" weapon IWB, I'd rather have 14 rounds of 230 grain HS that just 10-11 in a G30.

I just like the additional grip and sight radius.

17. ICE35

ICE35

Smart dept...Now put that weapon in
    a G & G 5101 and go offend someone.

18. hapuna

hapuna Trusted Member

It is still ugly as hell though!
    After it helps save your life it will start to look a lot better:cool:

19. DonD

DonD

For .45Greg, I'll still take the Glock. No doubt that a Wilson Combat is a fine shooter but then it should be for nearly $2000 or close to 4X what a Glock costs. Can buy a lot of extra toys with the $1400 you save by buying a Glock. Don ;f

20. Coney Island 1

Coney Island 1

After a month & a half wait, I finally got my NJ permit to purchase. I going out tommorow & buying my G21. Can't wait to go to the range...