close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

new to glocking

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by glockman2, Jul 15, 2003.

1. glockman2

glockman2

i am a new member at glock talk and just bought my first glock..a 22 in 40 s&w. i am also new to handgunning in general having mostly been involved in high power rifle.

i have been to the range once and didn't have much luck. the trigger system is certainly different.

any pointers from you experienced glockers would be gratefully appreciated. i enjoy reading the threads.

glockman2

2. DannyR

DannyR Moderator Millennium Member

Practice dryfiring your Glock as often as possible.

3. ClonaKilty

ClonaKilty

Dryfire/dry practice is good but you gotta practice RIGHT or else you ingrain bad habits.

The Glock trigger is the topic of much discussion here; from what I've seen here (and my own experience w/Glocks), the Glock will never be a crisp target-oriented trigger like, say, the benchrest rifle you may be used to. But once you get to the Glock's "mushiness" it's a dream to shoot. Hint: focus on the front sight, and don't allow yourself to think "is it gonna go off now? How about now? Maybe now?" Be surprised, just like w/ a rifle.

Also, there are many variables you haven't mentioned, such as your stance, your sight alignment, your grip, that all could affect your accuracy. Do a keyword search on any of those items and if you still need assistance just post it on GT/General Glocking. There was an excellent thread sometime back on the subject trigger control, sight alignment, etc but I don't have the link handy.

4. TJ in PA

TJ in PA Mistaken ID

PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE, WHEN EVER YOU CAN !

;) ;c

5. cheygriz

cheygriz Venerable Elder

Now that you have been seduced by the dark side, forever will it control your destiny! The force will be with you!

6. tjpet

tjpet

Learn to shoot from reset. Simply put, fire the gun and hold back the trigger. Slowly let trigger return forward until an audible "click" is heard. The gun is now ready to fire again. It's not necessary to pull the trigger all the way through the firing arc to shoot repeat shots. This will make rapid fire much smoother and easier.

You shouldn't pull the trigger until the gun just goes off. You should KNOW when it's going off. That's a major part of trigger control. If you use the above method of shooting from reset you'll soon learn when the gun is about to fire and can work your sighting and breathing control around that.

You can redo the trigger into a variety of different type pulls. You can also have the trigger customized ($200) into a 1911-style letoff. For now work on shooting from reset. Maybe later on look into different things you can do with the trigger after you've gained a little experience. You may just end up liking the stock trigger after all is said and done.

7. glockman2

glockman2

Thanks to all for the advice. I went to the range and things really went well. I did rather well at 7 yards.

I certainly have enjoyed shooting the glock so far and can't wait to get back to the range.

Thanks again,

glockman2

8. GMT

GMT GMT224

Like they said dry fire, dry fire.;b

9. ColoradoGlocker

ColoradoGlocker Former Member