close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

new to glock

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by Riddlerls1, Aug 7, 2006.

1. Riddlerls1

Riddlerls1

hey guys i just got my first glock a couple weeks ago. its an awesome gun, i love it. I have a G23 all stock with regular factory sights on it. it shoots good but i need to adjust the windage on it. it seems to be shooting left so i would need to move the rear sight to the right correct? what is the best way to go about that? the gun didnt come with any special tools that i am aware of, should it have? thanks guys, i have been reading up on this forum for a few months now. Its a great site.
    trevor

2. DMNSPD

DMNSPD Modified Glocks

Are you right handed? If so, most new Glock shooters place the POI to the left of POA. Keep practicing and be sure to dry fire. It makes a lot of difference if you dry fire regularly and practice the fundamentals at all times. Nothing against your shooting skills but it is most likely your grip and/or trigger control moving the shots left, not the gun.

3. Riddlerls1

Riddlerls1

thanks for the thoughts. I had a feeling that it could be the way that i am pulling the trigger. I will have to dry fire some more. now what do the terms POI and POA stand for? Sorry for the dumb questions.

Also why is it ok to dryfire a glock? Im just asking bc i grew up always being told that it was bad on guns to dry fire them, but i realize that in the glock owners manual it recommends doing it in lots of situations. I dont doubt that its ok to do it, im just curious why it is ok mechaniclly compared to other guns.
    Thanks again

4. DannyR

DannyR Moderator Millennium Member

POA=point of aim

POI=point of impact

It's OK to dryfire your Glock as much as you wish. It's really bad to dryfire a rimfire firearm.

5. Riddlerls1

Riddlerls1

cool thanks, so what do you guys recommend doing for dry fire excersises?

6. Nathan2003

Nathan2003 Wanna Cookie?

For dry fire practice. Take a empty casing or a live round (prefereably empty for safety reasons) and balance it on the top of your slide up by the front sight. Now, take aim and squeeze the trigger without the casing/round falling off. Do this until the round no longer falls off, then do it until it becomes second nature and easy.

Remember, muscle memory.

They used to do this for the people in my Academy that would throw their rounds all over, it was all trigger control and anticipating the recoil. All of them improved drastically after doing this drill a few hundred times.

Another thing is try shooting with the end pad of your finger, right in front of the finger nail. A lot of times if you shoot with the space where your first knuckle is, you'll pull the trigger wrong and your rounds with go low left or left. With the pad, its almost a straight back pull and you shouldn't drop any rounds or move any left.

Other then that, go to the range and shoot shoot shoot.

7. gary newport

gary newport

Dr. Butch recommends mixing snap caps/dummy rounds with live ones in the same magazine (at the range, of course), preferably having a buddy do it so you don't know when a dummy will come up. Since there is no recoil from the dummy round, you'll be able to see movement of your front sight and diagnose the problem.

If windage adjustment does ultimately prove to be necessary, the rear sight can be drifted right or left in the dovetail.

8. RayB

RayB Retired Member

Congrats on the new G23! :supergrin:

Please find attached an analysis target for a right-handed shooter. This printable JPG was provided courtesy of another GT member, with permission to copy it.

Great suggestions given!

Also useful at the range...

Keep your eye/eyes on that front sight, not so much as on the target itself.

At first, squeeze the trigger (with the pad at the end of your finger, as described) slowly enough that the it almost surprises you when the gun fires.

Be sure you see the flash every time you fire (or you're blinking).

If your grip and stance are right, you'll improve rapidly; then you can begin adding speed to the equation. ;)

If you get a chance to pop a laser on your G23, even just dry firing, it will describe your smallest hand movements, and help your technique.

--Ray

9. Riddlerls1

Riddlerls1

thanks guys, i have been doing a lot of dry firing here this week and i think im getting A LOT more steady. I just wish i had a chance to shoot more. I usually only get the chance on sundays. This glock is quickly becoming my favorite hobby.

How many rounds do you guys usually shoot each trip to the range? Ive been shooting about 70 each sunday, mainly bc its so hot outside where our homemade range is, and the dang bugs are killing us too.

10. Nathan2003

Nathan2003 Wanna Cookie?

Usually 100 to 150 on an off day plus 100 or so rounds when I shoot USPSA. Maybe on average only about 200 rounds a month. (I need to shoot more)

11. gary newport

gary newport

Two to three hundred rounds per range trip; usually two range trips per week. (Naturally, I reload!)

12. Riddlerls1

Riddlerls1

dang thats a lot of shooting. I bought a 250rd box of RMC 180GR. I am still on that box. I think ive just put over 190rds through it so far. The box was $43 so i can see it would be good to reload.

That is the best deal i could find on ammo. Anyone know of any better deals?

13. Nathan2003

Nathan2003 Wanna Cookie?

Wally world usually carries Winchester white box for $15 per 100. Thats a little better deal then what you're paying.

14. RayB

RayB Retired Member

California must hate it when you do that... ;)

Seriously, your skills must be plenty sharp, with any one of those Glocks of yours. :)

Do you have a favorite? And do you find it worth reloading 9 mm?

--Ray

P.S. I generally shoot 1X per week, 218 rounds (if I take my G17).

15. gary newport

gary newport

My skills have a LONG way to go! My favorite Glocks are my G37 and G38 (but I like my 9mm Glocks too). I don't reload for 9mm...but, with the way ammo prices are going up, that may change in the future. (Of course, component prices are rising too.)