New to Glock

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by ehutche, Sep 7, 2015.

1. ehutche

ehutche

Returned to shooting after a long delay. Bought a new 42 a month ago, and have run approx.500 rounds through it with 2 open slide failures,probably my fault, Had a problem today at the range. Gun ran fine for four clips. Fifth clip, first round fired, second round clicked. 30 seconds, tap and rack, remaining rounds fired with no problem. Next clip: BANG...click, tap and rack etc.. Next clip Bang...click. I packed up and came home.
    I haven't shot in a while, but never had this problem before. 3 clips with a second round fail to feed, remaining rounds fire. Using Winchester white box 95 grain. Gun was clean with no mods. Any ideas?

2. HGxyz

HGxyz

Welcome, and don't be upset by the coming terminology corrections.

Premature lockback is a problem with some G42s and certain ammo (bullet geometry that hits the slide stop as the round exits the magazine) exacerbates it. Later made models have some modifications to address this. There is a long thread on the G42 with pictures detailing the updates.

Audiman77 likes this.

3. Mr Wasabi

Mr Wasabi

Welcome back. I've heard the G42s can have some issues. Don't give up on Glock because of it.

4. Mudshark100

Mudshark100

I had the premature slide lock problem. As HG said, it was a result of a round in the magazine bumping the slide stop tab. If you look, you will probably see some brass or copper on the edge of the tab. For me, filing the edge of the tab solved the problem. I filed some off at my workbench that addressed most of the problem. I kept a file in my field bag and would file a little more off each time I experienced a problem. Eventually got to the point that the problem was 100% solved..

5. janice6

janice6

Welcome to GT.

6. Mike-M

Mike-M

The OP seems to be talking about a failure of the second round to ignite after after it has been chambered by the slide's cycling from the first round. So where is all this talk about "premature slide lockback" coming from?

If so, then the MOST important information is missing from the OP's post: What does the primer look like on the cartridge that did not ignite? How does it compare to the primers of successfully-fired cartridges?

The most common cause of cartridge ignition failure in Glocks without light aftermarket firing pin springs is something that is preventing the slide from going fully into battery (slide in fully forward position). Was the slide verified in full battery position following the ignition failure? Less than 0.05-inch shy can make a difference.

These are some of the questions that need answers before further addressing the issue of why the first round in the top of the magazine (the second round fired) doesn't fire after the first auto-cycle has occurred. I'd also want to know if the second round fails to ignite even if the magazine was initially NOT fully loaded. Was the problem observed with more than one magazine?

7. R3508

R3508 Curmudgeon

:pepper: :welcome:

My first brand new Glock G17 had the non captive recoil spring guide break after the 3rd round of Winchester white box. It's been 24 years and more than a dozen Glocks since then. One day I woke up and all of my guns had turned into Glocks!
    Just can't beat a Glock!

8. Mudshark100

Mudshark100

Where he says "Bought a new 42 a month ago, and have run approx.500 rounds through it with 2 open slide failures, probably my fault"

9. bac1023

bac1023

:welcome:

The G42 is probably not the best Glock to return to, unfortunately.

10. L-2

L-2

Ideas:
    -Be more descriptive; in a concise manner; less vague; OP (original poster), you may know exactly what you mean, but I can only guess.
    -Meaning of "open slide failures". Does that mean the slide is locking back when rounds are still in the magazine? Is this even a question as you many have already diagnosed it with "probably my fault".
    -By the way (BTW), use magazine or mag, as opposed to "clip". If some of the readers are like me (not to say they are) then it's less annoying. I usually just place the poster on "ignore", but in the OP's case, right now, he's new here.
    -Meaning of "second round clicked". Does this mean there was a round chambered and when the trigger was pressed, the round failed-to-fire? To what is the "30 seconds" referring? Is that merely how long it took you to tap & rack? I don't need to know that if it is.

I'm suspecting possible minor issues:
    -slide stop being bumped by shooter for premature slide lock backs.
    -2nd round failures to fire, I'm wondering if the mag was inserted all the way and if the 2nd round even chambered. The 1st round chambers, but then the mag falls down slightly; the 1st round fires; the 2nd round doesn't get stripped from the mag as the mag isn't seated; the trigger did reset, however, resulting in a "click"; the tap & rack seats the magazine (there was no mention of a primer strike upon any examination or a live round getting ejected with tap-rack-bang.
    -I think we'd all agree the odds of chambering a bad round three times as the 2nd round is unlikely.
    -I do agree with Post#9, a particular G42 may not be as reliable as Glocks (in the other calibers) with all .380 ammo.
    -Caveat; I don't have a G42, partly due to less-than-stellar reports, but did get a G43.

11. mcoe74

mcoe74 Life is good

12. ehutche

ehutche

13. ehutche

ehutche

Thanx all for responding...
    Sorry for the terminology, but I haven't shot in 40 something years, and still updating my vocabulary. (It's not a breech, it's a slide) My previous gun was a Browning 1911/45, and I had a grip problem with the smaller weapon resulting in open slide failures. Solved that by locking my thumb with my left hand.
    As I stated at the end of my post, the problem was 3 successive clips... uh mags, with second round failures to feed. There was no round to check the primer on. 30 seconds refers to the time I wait after a round doesn't fire for a slow burner to fire before clearing the weapon. I assumed the mag wasn't seated after the first failure, so I bumped the other two mags after I inserted them to be sure they were seated. I'm hoping the problem was dirty cli....mags, but found nothing excessive after taking them apart to clean. I've heard a lot of negative about this gun, but it fired everything I fed it every time after I solved the thumb problem. Until now...
    I was hoping that since there was a pattern, (BANG...click x3) there would be an obvious solution.
    No luck there apparently...