Glock Talk banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new to glock. Bought my first one 2 months ago for carry g27 gen4. Just got a gen4 17 last weekend for gssf but thinking about going with a 26 for gssf. My question is what is a good 9mm ammo? I mean go 115,124, or 147. Have heard some say the 115 doesn't do well on the steel any advice would be appreciated. Thank you

·
Pistol People
461 Posts
I'm new to glock. Bought my first one 2 months ago for carry g27 gen4. Just got a gen4 17 last weekend for gssf but thinking about going with a 26 for gssf. My question is what is a good 9mm ammo? I mean go 115,124, or 147. Have heard some say the 115 doesn't do well on the steel any advice would be appreciated. Thank you
The steel is all calibrated for .380 rounds, so you shouldn't have any trouble getting it to fall with any 9mm and I actually prefer the 115.

As for the G26 vs G17, I'd definitely start out with the G17. That will allow you compete in the most categories and really give you a good taste of what GSSF shooting is all about. Down the road, if you want to purchase a G26 for the subcompact divisions, it's a good 'next step'.

Don't worry too much about purchasing the 'right' pistol as you could win one at the match. Three people from our team each won one in a random drawing at their very first match!!

The most important part is just to be safe and have fun, that's what GSSF is all about.

Good luck!

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
Agree as above grain weight won't matter much. Relax take your time and enjoy. You could also enter subcompact class with your 27
The 17 is good for civilian or guardian class, competition and unlimited.
The biggest
Problem new shooter try to shoot too fast get sloppy with trigger control and have lots of misses or d zone hits. A slow string with all a/b hits is usually much better than super fast with a miss or two

·
Registered
15,408 Posts
I haven't had a plate even hesitate before falling in all the matches I have shot in the last three years shooting 115. But. If I were starting over and didn't have a stash I would go 147gr from Atlanta Arms & Ammo. I have duplicated it with handloads and it is a powderpuff to shoot in a 26.

Don't sweat the details, just go shoot and have fun.

·
DFC, MSM, 12 Air Medals.
10,235 Posts
The last half dozen matches that I have shot. They have been using a single 10 or 12 inch round steel plates or if they had a pepper popper it was a single set hard. Or what it is called ring and pant.

If they have 3 falling pepper poppers they are set using 9mm 115gr Blazer ammo.

As for guns whatever you shoot the best. There are a lot of people that us a G26 for every division that they can use it in. Because they shoot it the best. Yes there are a lot of people that use a G17 but it may not be the best gun for you. Same with sights.

When we were using the Pepper Poppers I liked 135 or 147gr bullets. But lately I have been using 124gr. X-Treme plated reloaded ammo.

The most important thing is just to have fun. And to be safe doing it. Don’t double tap and the further the target away slow down and do accurate shots. Easier said than done with the timer running.:winkie:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the help I'll just run straight 115 grain. If I run my g27 or get a g26 for the sub class. How would I get my 11 rounds. Can I run a 23 mag in my 27 or a 19 in the 26 or would I have to run the Pearce extensions. Thanks for the help everyone

·
Registered
45,279 Posts
Welcome to GT.

·
Super Moderator
20,478 Posts
YOu may load your G27 9+1 or use a G23 magazine but no grip sleeves. You can load the G26 10+1. You may also use Pearce Plus bases or factory #7151 extended bases.You are only allowed 10 shots per string on the 5 To Glock. If you hit all the steel on the first try on the Glock M, you only need 9 shots per string. If you hit every plate on the first try, you only need 6 shots per string.

·
DFC, MSM, 12 Air Medals.
10,235 Posts
I use G19 mags in my G26, G17 mags in my G19, And G21 mags in my G30. I load my mags with 10 rounds and I use a stripper mag that I painted the base plate orange. So on all stages. When told to do so I put in the stripper mag and chamber a round, pull out the stripper mag and load a mag with 10 rounds. I have 11 rounds in the gun. Fire the course of fire. Pull the mag out load another 10 round magazine and I’m back to 11 rounds in the gun. So every stage I’m doing the same thing over and over again.

No loading of 11 rounds in every mag and have to strip a round out before loading the mag and have the round roll around or off of the table.

What you DO NOT want to do is load 11 rds. in all the mags and shoot the course of fire pull out the magazine and then eject the round in the gun and then load another mag of 11.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks guys. Wasn't sure if I could use the bigger mags or not. The way the rules read is only factory or Pearce mag extensions allowed. Hoping to be ready for the Atlanta Indiana match. Thanks for all ur help.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.