New to Glock world, need info/help

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by RMC51, Apr 2, 2010.

1. RMC51

RMC51

Just got first glock(used), Model 23. I have never used a Glock. I need advise!!!
    Where do I get a operation manual? factory or second gen.

I think? I would like to replace:
    1. guide rod, to SS ????????
    2. extended Slide Stop??????
    3. Meprolight trit. night sites ??????
    4. CT LG-619 or LG-417 ?????
    Can't shoot lead!!

Who are the big boys in the Glock world, like Wilson Combat is in the 1911 world.

What should I read/watch to get up to speed on the Glock?
    I found GT, I will ask some stupid questions, but I will learn quickly

Thanks
    RMC

2. mvician

mvician Lifetime Member

3. JBP55

JBP55

Lone Wolf Distributors, Vanek, Glockworx would be a good start on Glock parts and accessories.

4. AustinTx

AustinTx

Call Glock if you want a printed manual. If new, it should have come with one.

5. DEADLYACCURATE

DEADLYACCURATE Senior Member

6. RMC51

RMC51

Thanks for the leads, I'm reading and watching everything I can find.

What are the short comings and the strong points of this model 23.
    how do I tell when this model 23 was made

What is the Gen 1,2,3 and 4 thing.

I saw a gtul, some tool to disassemble and clean the magazine. Is this a good idea?

what other tools should I have?

7. OrangeDonkey

OrangeDonkey

You can learn just about anything about a Glock from the King of Glocks "Hickok45". Just google his name and an endless amount of videos will pop up. He is pretty awesome.

8. RMC51

RMC51

Should this model 23 use a shok buff on the control rod?
    Upgrading the control rod what is the different between a SS and Tungsten rod, which one is better for performance.

9. mvician

mvician Lifetime Member

Last edited: Apr 3, 2010
  10. voyager4520

voyager4520

Congrats and welcome! If you want your own complete copy of the Glock manual, you can call, write to, or fax Glock Inc(contact info on www.glock.com) and request a copy. I've never seen a version on the internet that was complete and that way you'd have your own real official copy.

The most important things you should know before getting the official manual are: not to get oil, solvent, other liquids or foreign debris into the firing pin channel or other internals of the slide. Don't shoot unjacketed lead in the factory barrel. Each time you reassemble the pistol, even if you didn't take the guide rod or barrel out of the pistol, you must re-seat the base of the guide rod into its crescent shaped notch in the barrel lug(it slightly pops out on its own).

For now here's the Armorer's Manual which has the complete instruction manual but also includes information that only Glock Certified Armorer's should practice(you should not disassemble past field strip): http://www.stevespages.com/pdf/glock_armorers_manual_update.pdf

11. RMC51

RMC51

Thanks all for taking the time to post the info.

I have a couple questions:

you guys are saying no to the SS control rod, Why? Im not being smart, the control rod upgrade improved my Colt 1911, why not on this 23.

The recoil spring is stock 18lb??? Is that good ?

I have been reading and watching youtube (Hickok45) and some others.

Thanks voyager4520 this is the kind of stuff that I don't know about Glocks.

This 23 was made Dec 2007 3rd Gen.
    what is this gen 3 and 4 stuff?

Thanks again
    RMC

12. voyager4520

voyager4520

The stock guide rod works perfectly fine. If you get a SS one, just don't get one that has a washer at the end. If I remember correctly the one with the washer at the end puts undue stress on the hole in the slide for the guide rod. The stock guide rod flexes with firing as does the frame. See here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4MdYrwUU0E

Gen 2 had no muzzle rail or finger grooves and the earlier ones had only two frame pins(I think). Later Gen 2 guns above 9mm had three frame pins. Gen 3 has finger grooves, muzzle rail(except some sub-compacts), and three pins in the frame. Gen 4 has different texturing than Gen 3, has additional backstraps(no backstrap = SF(short frame, 2mm smaller), medium backstrap is the same grip as Gen 3, large backstrap is 2mm bigger than original Gen 3 grip. Gen 4 also has a reversible magazine catch(if reversed you must use the newest magazines with cutouts for the magazine catch on both sides) and a dual guide rod assembly very similar to what's seen in Gen 3 sub-compacts.

You can find more info about the different generations here: http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=412093 (don't post a reply to this thread unless contributing to the serial number research. if you serial number prefix is already listed, you have no need to post a reply)

13. RMC51

RMC51

Is this flex a good thing??? I'm from the steel world, Revolvers, 1911. We dont like flex. this is the kind of changes I'm trying to figure out. Glock is a different world. I'm trying to understand. Thanks

RMC

14. crazyc

crazyc

how do you start your own post?

15. voyager4520

voyager4520

I've never seen reason to think it's a bad thing with polymer pistols.

To start your own post, go the the forum you wish to post in and right above everyone else's threads will be a button that says "New Thread".

16. RMC51

RMC51

voyager4520
    :wow:
    :faint:

See, that is what I'm talking about. Im trying to keep a open mind with this Glock thing. I know a lot of you guys swear by them and love them.

I can look through from one side of the gun to the other side under the slide :faint:

Maybe once I get this model #23 to the range and get a feel for it and pound some through it I will feel better. :upeyes:

Thank you very much for the kind help, I'm sure I will have more questions(if I live through this) keeping a open mind, keeping a open mind.

RMC

17. Chonny

Chonny

Glocks are good to go right out of the box 99.9% of the time.

I would highly recommend to just buy the gun, and whatever sights. Glock is almost the polar opposite of a 1911. The only mod I would recommend is the 3.5# trigger connector.

I wouldn't sit down and try to lay something out on paper before hand. You may or may not want to change less or more.

If you are a firearm enthusiast a Glock is a boring handgun to own because you don't have to do anything to it, you really don't even have to clean it (often). But you can clean them in 30 seconds so we all do it anyway.

18. voyager4520

voyager4520

Glocks are like the AKs of the handgun world. They're a simple design with loose tolerances and they're pretty darn reliable because of it.