close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

New to Glock Talk

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by 20c, Jun 6, 2004.

1. 20c

20c

Hey All- I just ordered a new Glock 20c. I want to get into reloading and have never done it. What book or video is good to get some info on it? Any suggestions for a newbie as to what's good and what's bad? Where to buy, etc.?
    Thanks- Steve

2. duckslayer79

duckslayer79

Steve,

First off welcome to GT.;f

Congrats on your new gun. You chose right.;f The best book that I have found so far would be Modern Reloading 2nd Edition by Richard Lee. It has tons of data as well as good tips. It can be bought here. www.leeprecision.com

Your best bet is to find a good friend to help you out. Nothing beats hands on training. Where are you located? If there is a GT'er in your area that reloads, im sure they would love to help out.

There are tons of places on the net to get supplies. This is where I buy all my supplies. www.powdervalleyinc.com The first thing you should do is get you some double tap ammo. The URL is in my sig line. Mike Mcnett owns it and he is the man when it comes to 10mm loading. Hes also a great help on load data. If you havent allready seen them. There are a bunch of stickys with lots of load data in this fourum.

Take Care
    "duck"

3. 20c

20c

Great !! I ordered the book today.
    Thanks- Steve

4. MCNETT

MCNETT Load Developer Lifetime Member

Like duck already said, the Lee manual is a good one. For good factory ammo, www.doubletapammo.com and for good load advice call DoubleTap and ask for Mike. I will help if I can.
    -Mike

5. duckslayer79

duckslayer79

Good deal. That book is worth its weight in gold. The 1st edition didnt have much for 10mm data in it. The 2nd edition does.

You may have a hard time finding 10mm ammo in your area in stock. If you plan on reloading, dont buy the CCI blazer ammo. It cant be reloaded.

Doubletap has a good target load for a great price. $15.75 for a box of 50 rounds. You could look all day long at the biggest gunshow and not get factory ammo for that cheap. Not to mention that its accurate as can be.

Until you are able to get your equipment, those would be the best starter ammo for you. You would be able to keep your brass to boot;f

Take Care
    "duck"

6. duckslayer79

duckslayer79

This may be the best all around kit you can buy for the money:
    http://www.gunbroker.com/auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=19300179

I started out on this and still use it today. I mainly use my Dillon SDB, but the single stage press in the kit gets lots of use. All you will need is a good set of calibers to measure OAL and dies and your set. I recommend a Digital set of calibers. You will pay alittle more for them, but they are much eaiser on the eyes.

With this single stage kit, you should be able to pump out about 50 rounds an hour or so, maybe more or less depending on your speed. There is no better way to learn how to reload than with a single stage press. It will give you a feel for what goes on. After you feed comfortable with it, move up to a progressive press.

If you need any help or anything, shoot me an email and I will be glad to help out!;f

Take Care
    "duck"

7. turq

turq

Get a good digital scale it will make weighing a breeze. Less chances for something to go wrong. Just don't drop a box of buullets on the weighplate. Mine is a Pact that does great; bought in the mid 80's.
    Look for used equip. deals. And stay tuned here.