close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

New To Glock Talk--Opinions about Lasers

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by squirrels, Oct 5, 2004.

1. squirrels

squirrels

Hello, this is my first post. I bought a new glock 27 back in July to carry concealed and to have fun at the range. I was wondering how people felt about lasers on hand guns. Are they worth the price? What are the benefits? What are the drawbacks? I went to the CTC Lasersights web sight and messed around. I would have to send them my frame and have them mess with it. Does any have any doubts about this.

Thanks,

David

2. grenadier

grenadier

Laser sighting, in my opinion, are best suited for teaching someone trigger control, or to show flinching. People who have a habit of jerking the trigger and / or flinching will be able to see the laser dot moving all over the place.

As for one on a defensive gun, I really don't think that's going to help you. If you want something that will give you better chances of target acquisition under low light situations, get a decent set of tritium night sights (Meprolight, Trijicon, etc).

Some may disagree, and claim "hey, the laser dot on the perp's chest might dissuade him." I can't exactly disagree, but one has to take into consideration, that the perp might not see the dot, or that he may attack you anyways. Furthermore, by hesitating to shoot once you have your target acquired, you are putting yourself in danger by giving the bad guy more time to react.

If you're going to draw your gun, and point at a living human being, you had better be willing to fire off the shot.

3. furetto7

furetto7 Galloglaich

You might want to do a search here for laser and lasermax, this topic has been discussed on a number of occasions.

4. phorvick

phorvick

Save your money and get night sights. Lasers are only good for messing with cats and watching them dance trying to catch that red dot.

5. Glock4Life

Glock4Life

I'm not a big fan of lasers other than to point out reference materials in speeches.

6. AZG23

AZG23

And its frowned upon to use a handgun for this purpose!!!;P

As far as lasers go...I wouldnt recommend them for a SD sidearm. The night sight recommendation is worth more. I would take the money you'd spend on the CTC and spend it on ammo and a training class. A good flashlight would be a better choice as well.

7. bubbygator

bubbygator

Then there's the other side... check around & you will find posts in other threads from people who love them. Not trying to say that iron sights are to be abandoned - but that laser sights are super training aid AND can be an actual aid in SD situations.

I agree that the "intimidation factor" is only for LEO's; if you point your weapon at a person & don't fire it, you'd better be ready for a lawsuit. Also, a person who does see a laser spot on his chest may be justified in drawing & shooting at you in legitimate self-defense. If I point, you can be sure I'll be shooting.

I've posted before about lasers being an aid for those with old or poor eyes. Using the laser allows one to focus (really focus) on the bad guy without worrying about the blurs that are the gun sights. The one real drawback is that the laser spot gets washed out in bright sunlight & in rough/leafy background. But in low light, you can see the Crimson Trace laser spot 50-60 yards easily - whether you can hit that far is another question (I sure can't).

8. JMag

JMag

Great for surgery, Powerpoint presentations, and guiding missiles...not so great on guns, IMHO.