Glock Talk banner

New to G43x....Ammo suggestion to break it in?

771 Views 13 Replies 13 Participants Last post by  harold63
Hello,

Relatively new gun owner and definitely new to G43x. Thinking to break it in with 9mm 115 Grain MFJ from Magtech. Any thoughts? Good, bad, try something else?

TIA!!
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
1,997 Posts
The only time I have had issues was with some of the so called "range/training" 115 grain 9mm ammo. Some of that stuff is loaded pretty weak. But even that stuff should be okay in the G43X. Follow the instructions in your owners manual on cleaning and lubrication and you should be fine.

24,354 Posts
Hello,

Relatively new gun owner and definitely new to G43x. Thinking to break it in with 9mm 115 Grain MFJ from Magtech. Any thoughts? Good, bad, try something else?

TIA!!
Some guns have preferences in regards to bullet weight. For defensive use 124 grains is probably optimum but sometimes 115 grain fmj ammo is cheaper. If your gun shoots both to the same point of aim and with equal accuracy, you've lucked out. Also try some 147 grain ammo. I have a Belgian Browning High Power that is far more accurate with 147 grain ammo than any other bullet weight.

Fire groups at different targets with different ammo and write what ammo it was on each target. This will tell you which bullet weight was most accurate in your gun. Once you've established that, try six rounds of some defensive ammo in that weight. You might also want to try some Hornady Critical Duty (Not Critical Defense) 135 grain ammo and see if it shoots to the same point of aim as your best FMJ practice ammo

In my 40 caliber Glock 23 the 175 grain Critical duty load is the most accurate of any load tested and shoots to the same point of aim as most 180 grain practice ammo

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Some guns have preferences in regards to bullet weight. For defensive use 124 grains is probably optimum but sometimes 115 grain fmj ammo is cheaper. If your gun shoots both to the same point of aim and with equal accuracy, you've lucked out. Also try some 147 grain ammo.

Fire groups at different targets with different ammo and write what ammo it was on each target. This will tell you which bullet weight was most accurate in your gun. Once you've established that, try six rounds of some defensive ammo in that weight. You might also want to try some Hornady Critical Duty (Not Critical Defense) 135 grain ammo and see if it shoots to the same point of aim as your best FMJ practice ammo

In my 40 caliber Glock 23 the 175 grain Critical duty load is the most accurate of any load tested and shoots to the same point of aim as most 180 grain practice ammo
Much appreciated!!

· Registered
2,798 Posts
I usually get enough rounds of the ammo I plan on carrying to fill the mags I'm going to carry twice, then at least 200 rds. usually my reloads.

for my break in process, after cleaning, lube and inspection, first mag loads are the carry ammo, first couple of shot are for sighting in, then I fire it as fast as I can, rip thru it trying to keeping all the rounds center of mass on a silhouette target at 10 yards, this tells ne if there is anything I need to pay attention to, new gun, grip, sights back on target.

then the 200 + rounds, trying to use the carry mags equally, slow fire usually with a less powerful round, paying attention to trigger break, trigger reset, sight alignment, sights back on target.

last mag loading of the 200 + rds. start from my carry holster, draw, fire a single round and re-holster, slow cadence, just getting use to it, working on muscle memory.

last loading of the carry ammo I'll run some drills, move, draw, double tap, move, draw, Mozambique drill

all of the above is done in a single range outing, no cool down, just load mage and fire, making adjustments as needed.

then back at the bench, field strip and clean paying attention to wear, do a $0.25 trigger job, lube and reassemble and leaving the mags loaded for for the next range outing, at least a week.

next rang outing fire enough rounds thru the carry mags equally to make 500 rounds total, work on trigger control/reset, sight alignment/sight recovery, run drills, last couple of round are with the carry ammo just to make sure I'm on target.

if it makes it thru all of the above with out a issue not associated to break in (first 100 rds.), clean, lube. load and carry.

· Registered
3,620 Posts
Hello,

TIA!!
124gr FMJ is what I prefer. Anything works, unless yours is one of those rare picky ones.

· Registered
2,536 Posts
Mag Tech is decent ammo but not the best of the practice ammo I've tried. I finished a 1000 round lot two weeks ago. I prefer Sellier and Bellot.

· Registered
14,462 Posts
Glock isn’t picky with ammo. Any major brand 9mm ( non steel case) would just fine for a “ break-in”.
Just remember to shoot some of your self defense ammunition to see if it’s reliable in your gun no matter if it’s a Glock or some other product before carrying it. It’s less about the gun but how the gun acts with that ammo.

· I'm not retired
8,500 Posts
If a Glock wont shoot properly on the first round...no "break in" is going to change that.
Correct. When you buy your gun and safety check it for a round in the chamber, it is broken in.

There is no break in period for a Glock. You'll find nothing in the OM that tells you '500 rounds before carrying' or something of that nature. Magtech is good ammo and there are a couple 'famous in the gun world' folk who use a lot of it. Glock's OM does tell you to try a different ammo if your Glock is having trouble with what you're using. Some people don't like WWB but it's my target mainstay when I can't hand load. My 43x and 48 both run perfect with it...115 gr 1150 fps Walmart stuff.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.