new to climbing stands; i need some advice

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by punkture, Oct 18, 2005.

1. punkture

punkture

i'm looking into getting a climbing stand of my own so i can stop using my buddy's. i want to go for one that is simplistic/economical, light-weight, allows freedom of movement, and so forth. for what its worth, i'm 5'10", 175#. any suggestions on the stand and a good safety harness? thanks!

2. RugerFan58

RugerFan58

I'd shop around for sure. I've got a Summit Bushmaster. It's solid as a rock but it's one of the older steel models. Don't skimp on the safety harness. Get the one that goes in your crotch like a tree climber would use. Buy a climber that uses cables. Then practice with it so your able to use it in pitch darkness and able to do it QUIETLY. Once you get the hang of it you'll never look back. I love mine.;c

3. f1b32oPTic

f1b32oPTic R4d104c71v3

i bought a summit viper classic from dicks last season that i really like...it was on sale for $150

it is made out of tubular steel versus their aluminum stands and i think they make this one special for dicks sporting goods because i havent seen it on their website.

the construction and dimensions are exactly the same as their aluminum ones so if you dont mind 5 extra pounds they are great for the money and they come with a full body harness

it sleeps well;f

4. TScottW99

TScottW99 NRA Life Member

I have a Summit Viper also but not the classic, the one made from aluminum. I love it!! I'm not a big fan of hights. The Viper is the first stand I have not only felt comfortable in but also safe. It has allowed me to climb higher then before which helps with scent control. Doesn't hurt that I Have killed three deer in the last year from it. Before I never killed a deer from a tree stand, usally on the ground.

5. punkture

punkture

thanks for the advice guys. sounds like the general concensus is, at least for brand, summit. i'll check out their entire line and see which seems most well-suited for my needs. the one i used all last weekend (from which i saw a 4 point and a hog) had a waist-high barrier around it. at first i thought the barrier was going to be rather restrictive on my movement, but overall it wasn't and it did make me feel safer. i'm not a huge fan of heights either, so i'm sure it helped that i had the safety harness fastened just as tight to the tree as the stand itself. if i decide on a summit stand, are there any online places from which are advice to puchase them? it looks like cabelas has a wide variety of summit stands. anywhere else?

6. BlackBelt

BlackBelt

This was actually a HUGE decision for me. Let me tell you why...
    I usually hunt alone, because I hunt during the week. I wanted the safest stand that I could find, regardless of cost. I tried some cheaper stands, and found them to be close to dangerous to use. Plus, sitting upright for hours sometimes led me to fall into 'catnaps', and I started doing that thing where you jerk yourself back awake.
    After buying and rejecting (and consequently-reselling) five different stands, I went with a TreeLounger brand climber, with the foot platform last year. It was the ABSOLUTE best investment that I've made in a deer stand ever. It's as safe as one can get out of a stand, and it packs in easily and sets up quickly. You are sitting in a 'lounge' position, sort of like an easy chair in your living room, so you can't fall out, even if you fall asleep. If you want to sit more upright, you can simply adjust the angle of the stand while you are on the tree. Plus, the TreeLounger company makes a ton of accessories for it, including wheels for it if you want to use it to haul game out, or to roll the stand into the woods if you don't want to carry it on your back.
    They usually have them on sale periodically throughout the year. I think that their website is something like Treelounger.com, or just google it.
    One last thing, this past Thursday I was sitting in my Treelounger when I heard a high pitched whistling sound coming at me from far away. I didn't know what it was until a large black object went over my head no higher than 100 feet from tree top level at like a bazillion miles an hour. Then the sonic boom hit...and if I hadn't been in my TreeLounger, that Stealth aircraft practicing treetop maneuvers would have knocked me out of the tree. Needless to say that the airplane ruined my hunt for the day, as everything in the woods shut down after the sonic boom (Thanks to the Columbus MS AirForce Base for that!)
    Good luck with your search.

7. ILikeFtLbs

ILikeFtLbs

I have a Summit, an Old Man, and an API. I prefer the Old Man for compactness and ease of use, but the API is the most comfortable. Also, as mentioned, the safety harness is very important and the API's come with one of the best 5-point harnesses on the market. The one that comes with the API is better than any aftermarket I have found.

My recommendation is to get the OLD MAN and buy an API replacement harness, or get the API stand.

The Summit is a good stand, but it doesn't fit together for carrying as well as the other two brands, and it is more difficult to use. Just my opinions here.

8. TScottW99

TScottW99 NRA Life Member

Ol' Man went under. Looks like Gorilla is now making their type of climbing stand. The Gorilla products I own are top notch.

API went down awhile back. Basspro then bought them and now sell API stands made in China.

Same thing for the Tree Lounger, owners sold, new owners. Stands are now made in China.

The Sumitt harness is very comfortable and stout also. I like the looks of the new vest/safety systems. Very nice looking, buddy has one and he loves it.

9. punkture

punkture

thanks for all the advice. when comparing reviews, pricing, simplicity, and so forth...i'm becoming more partial to the 2005 version of the summit bushmaster. they are $200 on cabelas with the harness, and give or take, roughly the same pretty much anywhere. other than the potential for difficulty to carry, are there any other concerns/complaints with the summit bushmaster?

10. el_jewapo

el_jewapo

I just went through a big hassle in my search for a new climbing stand. I have an Ol' Man that I've hunted out of for years and I really like it, but the blades that grip the tree bent slightly. I think they have this problem with all of them and that's why they went out of business.

My dad has an older API Grand slam and he loves it. So I decided to go with API. I'm a big guy, so I got the magnum version. The grand slam magnum extreme. I hated it! It was way too big! I'm 6'7 and when I was back packing it, it would hit me in the back of the legs as I was walking. I couldn't get it to pack together very well and it clanked going through the woods. The other problem with it was when I put it on a tree at a steep angle to compensate for a big tree base, I could barely reach the stirrups on the foot platform! If I can't reach them at 6'7, who could? It was better as the tree leveled out. It was extremely comfortable when I finally got it set up, but it just wasn't worth it. It was just too big, bulky and heavy to carry long distances.

So after hunting with it 1 time, I exchanged it for a Summit Goliath. This stand is awesome! Every bit as comfortable and stable as the API, it packs together very well for easy back packing and it only weighs 21 lbs. As long as they keep making them like that, I will keep buying them.

In the big man stands, Summit has it all over API! I don't know about the smaller stands, my dads grand slam is nice.

11. RugerFan58

RugerFan58

My Summit Bushmaster used to clank as well. I put small pieces of rug between the two halves to stop it. I keep them bungied together while walking. I'm 6'4" and about 275 but my Summit is steady as a rock,although it does weigh about 6 pounds more than the aluminum models. I think Summit's cable system leaves little to be disired while climbing.;c

12. rfb45colt

rfb45colt safe-cracker

I've got a Hunter's View Silver Condor Lite. It looks exactly like this one but it's aluminum and weighs 19lbs. It also has a detachable padded shooting rail for gun season. Easy to carry, easy to set up and use. I'm 6'2" and 210 lbs, and it's just the right size for me. Weight limit is 300lbs, so it's plenty sturdy. My local Wallyworld had them at $144 prior to deer season last year. After deer season, they marked them down to $85, and I got the last one ;). It comes with a great safety harness too, the kind that includes your legs and crotch. It was hard to figure it out at first (the safety harness)... so I broke down and read the directions. :( After that, it was easy to put on. There's an attachment on the harness for the tree strap on both front & rear, so you can use it easily while ascending and descending by attaching it to the front, then attach it to the back while hunting. Also came with a strap to tighten it to the tree after you're set up, to stabilize it. But they only give you one, so I bought another ratchet type strap for the other section. Once you strap it down, it's like a rock.

13. punkture

punkture

I'm the proud new owner of the Summit X5 Bushmaster. In a tree, it feels rock solid and the seat is as comfortable as one could expect it to be. My only two complaints about the stand itself are the cheap plastic stirrups and the trigger system. The stirrups work very well, but I can't imagine them lasting for more than a few weeks before they decide to break (very very cheaply made). The trigger system seems to work well as its a brand new stand, but again, it seems really cheaply made. A rivetted piece of metal isn't going to last forever. The previous year model's mechanism seems more lasting, but not as fool proof. I could be very wrong about the trigger system and it could last forever. Let's hope it does. As for summit's harness, I prefer the API harness - no ropes and crap to mess with in the woods. Overall, its light, quiet, and rock solid. Gun season opens here tomorrow, so hopefully I'll be updating with pictures next time.