Glock Talk banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, I've decided I want a 45, and I've always likes 1911's so that's what I'm looking at! I'm lookin for something under $1000, non GI style and either a full size or commander size. Right now I'm caught between the Remington R1 Enhanced or a Sig TACOPS. Any input on these or other suggestions would be appreciated!

·
GT Mayor
64,670 Posts
Springfield Armory, Range Officer my friend:wavey:

·
Registered
129,779 Posts
Hey all, I've decided I want a 45, and I've always likes 1911's so that's what I'm looking at! I'm lookin for something under $1000, non GI style and either a full size or commander size. Right now I'm caught between the Remington R1 Enhanced or a Sig TACOPS. Any input on these or other suggestions would be appreciated!
The STI Trojan is about a grand and a good deal better than either of those, in my opinion.

·
Registered
251 Posts
STI Spartan III, IV, V is worth looking at. You get an excellent gun with fantastic customer service from STI.

MetroArms American Classic models are a must see and they introduced their new line if MAC models this year.

Ditto on the Colt Series 80 (Model 01991), it's a keeper too!

·
Registered
129,779 Posts
STI Spartan III, IV, V is worth looking at. You get an excellent gun with fantastic customer service from STI.
I also own a Spartan and its outstanding.

Having said that, its not built by STI. Its built by Armscor in the Phillipines and uses some STI small parts. For the money, you can't beat them, but the Trojan is worth the extra $300-$400.

·
Old timer
16,015 Posts
I've been eyeballing a Para Expert 1911 stainless recently. The clerk behind the desk said they're a popular buy, but the internet at large didn't have good things to say about it. Thoughts?
I actually have one... and I find it agreeable enough. I picked mine up for $350 used. ETA: Mines the GI Expert and is not stainless.

·
Registered
4,060 Posts
Sprinfield's Range Officer is my choice for the under $1000 category, but some folks don't care for the adjustable rear sight.

The STI Trojan is an excellent piece (albeit for more money), but I wish they built it with the (Colt-type) more rounded front strap proflie, and checkered instead of that mostly useless (to me) chain-link thing they do. It is available with a fixed rear sight, but you'd likely have to special order it that way as most come with the adjustable.

I wasn't as impressed with the Spartan as some folks, but they do seem to perform just as well as most of the Phillipine guns... and they are (were) priced right.

RO

Trojan

Spartan V

·
Registered
2,623 Posts
Yes, the RO is a good gun. I've not seen good things from a number of 1911s under 1k, so be careful.

If you can afford it, add a few hundred and have a look at Dan Wesson.

·
Registered
6,534 Posts
The Remington 1911R1 Enhanced is a fine shooting 1911. I picked mine up a couple years ago. I really like it. Lately, I have been selling a large part of my 1911 collection, but the Remington 1911R1 and 1911R1 Enhanced are two of them that I am not selling.

I have not owned the SIG TACOPS, but I have read some reviews on it. It is definitely a fine pistol. I did not read anything negative. My brother just bought a second-hand TACOPS for $800. It is still a new pistol. The seller needed some money and let it go cheap.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.