New to 10mm & haven’t tried Blue Dot just yet...appreciate some insight

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by DubfromGA, Oct 15, 2019.

1. DubfromGA

DubfromGA

Getting components to load some 10mm for deer & hogs.

Always wanted to use a 1911 to hunt with and it looks like this season will be it.

Gun should arrive this week.... 5” single stack 1911.

Have new Starline & 500 180gr. tmj that I’ll load for break-in sessions.

Also have 200 180gr XTP for the hunting loads.

Will be loading on a Dillion progressive using the Dillon powder measure.

Hornady manual shows Blue Dot, Acc #9 and 800X loads that get above 1,200 FPS.

I can only get Blue Dot locally....and it’s always in stock and going for decent price. I’d have to order the others and deal with waiting & hazmat charges.

In new to this Dillon and didn’t know what to expect with the metering of the Blue Dot flakes vs the AA#9 which I’d have to order.

How well has Blue Dot metered in you presses ?

GoetzTalon likes this.
  2. Taterhead

Taterhead Nightshade

Congrats on the new 1911! Pics would be awesome.

Blue Dot is a very good 10mm powder. Versatile, and a lot of existing load data. I like it almost as much as No. 9. It has a lot of boom and flash, though. You'll know right away when shooting BD though the 10mm! It is more efficent than No. 9, although it won't get quite the velocity.

Longshot is also worth a look too, if available.

In my rotary drum powder measures (Uniflow), +/- .1 grain variation is typical woth Blue Dot. Very occasionally 2 tenths. Higher min max velocities with BD vs No. 9, but none of that varience shows up on paper, however. When loading top end max loads with flake powder, I do drop-and-trickle.

In my 4.6" barrel, a charge of 10.6 gr under the 180 XTP got about 1220 fps and very consistent groups. I imagine that would make a very nice load for hunting ammo.

If all I had was Blue Dot, I'd snag it and be very happy. Good stuff in the one centimeter.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2019

3. fredj338

fredj338

I like BD in the 10mm. It has always been accurate with 180-200gr bullets & gives top vel. In the Dillon, it meters fine, maybe 2/10gr variation at the worst, waaay better than 800x, which I wont bother with because of that. Snug the powder failsafe rod so you get positive return.

Taterhead and DubfromGA like this.
  4. 87'vette

87'vette

I use BD for all my 200gr and 180gr 10mm, and 180gr in .40S&W. Great powder, easy to find and fairly inexpensive. Can't go wrong.

DubfromGA and Taterhead like this.
  5. Rellik

Rellik Kwisatz Haderach in Training

BD will also break 1000fps in the 45 ACP with 200gr bullets. I have shot HG 68 with 10.2 BD that was fairly accurate off hand at 50 ft.

DubfromGA and Taterhead like this.
  6. Taterhead

Taterhead Nightshade

Hey, that's good to know. The Lee HG 68 clone is about all I load in the 45 Auto.

DubfromGA and Rellik like this.
  7. DubfromGA

DubfromGA

Thanks gents.

I’m out running errands with the wife....hoping she’ll not mind if I swing by the store and grab some BD....real fast.

8. Rellik

Check Speer #13 books going back a few editions, and they show the flying manhole cover with 10.5 BD @ 1010fps.

Won't even have to change your powder thrower from 10mm!

9. usnret

usnret

Go with Long Shot

10. fredj338

fredj338

I like LS too, but get better accuracy & slightly higher vel with AA#9 using 200gr, which is why I have a 10mm in the first place.

arkdweller22 likes this.
  11. Taterhead

Taterhead Nightshade

My rank of favorite 10mm powders.

Hi energy loads:

No. 9
    Blue Dot
    Longshot
    No. 7
    Power Pistol

For "FBI Loads" (sorry Fred :cheers:)

WSF
    No. 5
    Silhouette
    Unique

For Steel Challenge/IDPA gamer stuff (I know Fred, way off of a 200 @ 1200 :cheers:)

452AA (sub WST)

Won't buy 800-X again.

rogn, arkdweller22 and DubfromGA like this.
  12. DubfromGA

DubfromGA

Thanks.....gun was an online buy....tracking info says tomorrow or Thursday at my FFL.

Trying to get some magazines and other needed stuff for it, too.

Wife obliged my "quick" trip through Cabelas.

Took off to the reloading section...grabbed my powder and had to wait in line to pay for it. She went nuts over....well...over their roasted cinnamon walnuts & other old fashioned candy.....I wound up grabbing a couple much needed larger coffee mugs.

I probably could have wound up with 3 cans of powder for the same $$$$ had I gone in alone, lol.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks for the insight, Taterhead !!!!

I appreciate the help, Fred.

I didn't know what to expect with the flake. Vote of confidence from you & Tater was right on time. Thanks again.

Turns out the store does stock the 800X, too. Grateful for the tip on it....I'm steering clear of it.

13. Taterhead

Taterhead Nightshade

By the way, Blue Dot and 10mm is where it all started for me in my reloading adventures. First loads were BD under a 180 XTP using Hornady start loads. Bunny farts that thankfully dribbled the hot brass into the deep snow close by my feet.

So that is a bit nostalgic for me, even if the BD label is now different.

Cool mugs. I've had a few in that shape before. Like 'em!

DubfromGA likes this.
  14. arkdweller22

arkdweller22 Cuhootnified Roamer

I must agree with @Taterhead and @fredj338, Blue Dot is good in the 10, better for lighter bullets with a smidge less velocity than AA#9 or Longshot with 180 -200GR bullets.

Lots of flash and boom with Blue Dot, if you're okay with that for a hunting application (Longshot is kinda loud and flashy too.)
    AA#9 is the lowest flash, highest velocity powder for heavier 10MM which makes it my favorite powder as well.

fredj338, DubfromGA and Taterhead like this.
  15. DubfromGA

DubfromGA

Sounds like I'm off to a classic start with the 10. :)

Looking forward to finally hunting some with a 1911.

Now.....onto the subject of coffee mugs....there is a certain one I've had my eyes on. I'd planned on it being a 50th birthday gift to myself.....I'm a year behind schedule as other things came up..

Anyway, my plan is to hopefully add this mean mug to the cabinet in the next 6 months or so.

With the mug will come another small tidbit.... :rofl:

[​IMG]

I'll get up and running with the Blue Dot and see how it goes. Some outdoor range sessions later in the afternoon or at the indoor range with the lane lights off will be telling on the blast for certain.

I may very well pick up some AA#9 in the future when I make an order for more powder & primers and eat the hazmat & shipping. I'll have a better idea by then what other powders will be my most used and I can order the larger jugs and come out cheaper in the long run.

I'm also interested in seeing how the 180gr XTP does on deer & hogs. I don't know if I'll move up to the 200gr or not.

Lots of fun (and tasty) extermination ahead.

Thanks for passing along your experiences.

arkdweller22 and Taterhead like this.
  16. robhic

robhic I'm your huckleberry.... Platinum Member

Not a hi-jack but in the "stickies" above there is a warning about Blue Dot and .357 rounds. I didn't read all 5 pages so I'd like to ask if that warning is still good, or has the Blue Dot been 'fixed'? Just curious in case ....

17. Rellik

DubfromGA and arkdweller22 like this.
  18. Taterhead

Taterhead Nightshade

The warning is current print. There is still no Alliant load data for 125 gr 357 bullets and no data at all for 41 mag.

DubfromGA and arkdweller22 like this.
  19. DubfromGA

DubfromGA

Well.....my FFL called this afternoon and said I could come down and pick up my oil-drenched blaster. :rofl:

It's my first 10mm in a long time....and the first in a 1911.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I've looked at several models and have the wants for all of them, lol, but I had to factor in the cost of dies, conversion kit, new brass and etc. Adds up quick.

I've been very confident carrying .45acp 1911 and enjoy the at the range. I added a 9mm 1911 a while back and it's a peach at the range. The 10mm appealed to me as a hunter. Who knows.....I may get the bug for other 10mm.

I've always like the power from the 44mag in the woods, but a 1911 simply fits my hand and I shoot it better.

Always been somewhat curious about the 460 Rowland, too.

Trigger feels great, gun has some nice heft and forward balance from that long rail & bull barrel.

Took it down and got the preservative oil off and did a pre-range lube in Kroil. I'll break it down again and get any remaining preservative + Kroil off and the hit the rails and lube points with my new favorite, Weapon Shield.

[​IMG]

Looking forward to the ancillaries showing up in the mail soon: dies, brass, magazines, etc.
    Thanks for yours & Fred's assistance. I feel good about getting into the 10-ring again. :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 16, 2019
    87'vette, fredj338 and Taterhead like this.
  20. Taterhead

Taterhead Nightshade

Alrighty! Very nice. That gun looks pretty cool. Some fun, for sure.

DubfromGA likes this.