New Style LEE factory Crimp Die

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by robhic, Sep 23, 2020.

1. robhic

robhic I'm your huckleberry.... Platinum Member

I like the results I get from the LFCD so I use them. I know it's not necessary but it works for me. This post is about the (I guess?) new style unit. The older style dies had a body containing a free-floating ring to iron out the length of the cases and a screw-in upper part that set the actual crimp. The results looked good, IMO, and for $18+/- it wasn't a big deal. I had to get a replacement for the 9mm one I had (don't ask :frown:) so I got a new one. This new one is a bit different.

It's a one-piece body with no screw-in upper or floating ring. (I guess cost-cutting reasons) It looks like you screw it into the press until it hits the ram (same as older type). But the inside has no ring and you screw the entire body in or out to achieve the crimp instead of the moving upper part. Anybody seen or used one of these? I'd be curious to hear comments and will leave my own after trying it out.

2. Dave.1

Dave.1

Is it a rifle die?

Dave

3. OXMYX

OXMYX

I use it only for .223

The extra pull for the crimp is unnecessary for a 9mm etc. Maybe a hunting load 357 or 44

4. robhic

No, it's for 9mm.

5. Taterhead

Taterhead

Well, firstly, the Carbide Factory Crimp Die doesn't have a floating carbide post sizing ring. It is affixed to the die body. That's why the crimping insert and adjuster can be removed when used in conjunction with the Bulge Buster kit.

Did you get the regular collet stye Factory Crimp Die? That one does not have a finger adjustment, and it works by closing a collet around the case mouth.

Here's a pic of the Factory Crimp Die.

http://www.larrywillis.com/Leecolletcrimpdie.html

6. 9x45

9x45 Millennium Member

It's actually a floating collet die which allows for slight variations in case length. I use them for .357SIG so they don't have to trimmed exactly.

7. robhic

Well you might have me there. Documentation is scarce it just says 'factory crimp die.' I have one for .38/357, .45LC, 9mm and .45acp. All of these have the floating post-sizing ring and the screw-in top part that does the crimping. This new one and the older ones I have are definitely not collet type.

This 9mm FCD (replacement) is just the body with a hole in it. Kinda like a pass-thru die. It has no other moving parts except the adjustment/lock ring. The 4-die set I just bought for my grandson to learn to reload with contained the FCD with the sizing ring and adjustable top part. I did not know there were 2 types because the ones I bought were all the floating ring screw-in top part style. They worked well and now this new FCD won't even let a 9mm bullet into the die. Lee's website is not giving me an address for questions but pages of FAQ-like stuff. Not happy.

8. robhic

I'm not sure because the other ones I have and use have the floating, post-sizing ring inside and the top half screws in to make the actual crimp. No collet involved.

9. Taterhead

Taterhead

On a Carbide Factory Crimp die, the post sizing ring is the carbide insert as pointed here. It doesn't float. It is pressed into the die body. Not unlike a sizing die in that regard.

[​IMG]

The part that floats is the crimping sleave like the two parts in the middle.

[​IMG]

On the other hand, the Factory Crimp Die uses a collet to crimp and has neither a post sizing ring nor a thumb screw adjuster.

Lee made so much confusion naming two dissimilar tools with an almost identical name.

Uncle Don, George Kaplan and xTerpx like this.
  10. Taterhead

Taterhead

Sounds like you're used to the Carbide Factory Crimp die and ended up with a Factory Crimp die instead.
    [EDIT]
    Re-reading your earlier post I found where you said the new one did not have collets? A third type of die? Can you post a picture?

Last edited: Sep 24, 2020
  11. robhic

This item I have is called a Lee FCD and resembles the pass-through expander die. It's hollow - no ring or adjustable top portion. Nomenclature has been my enemy here. As your picture shows the 'crimping sleeve' is what I've been referring to as the "floating post-sizing" ring. It's not a 3rd type of die it is the FCD and I got this thing I can't use.

I need the Carbide FCD with the adjustable top half and floating crimping sleeve. So now I gotta find the right die (thanks for putting me straight on that!). What does that pass-thru FCD do, anyway? I can't even get a factory round to go in and I ain't forcing anything. I learned something here and thanks for the lesson!

Taterhead likes this.
  12. Taterhead

Taterhead

Well, more semantics... but if you got the regular FCD, it doesn't pass through. It uses those collets to squeeze a crimp onto the case, like in this pic from the Lee site.

[​IMG]

The Carbide FCD can be used to pass-through size brass before re-sizing. Using the die body in conjunction with the Bulge Buster kit is how it's done, like here, as setup for 45 auto. Note that the adjustment knob and crimp sleeve are removed.

It pushes the case up and through the Carbide FCD body, using the post sizing ring to pass-through size the case.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 24, 2020
  13. Pistol Pete 10

Pistol Pete 10

Sounds like you have a normal taper crimp die,"nothing factory, whatever that means" about it. I do have a couple Lee taper crimp dies with a carbide sizing ring in them that resize the case if necessary. Nothing "factory" about it other than it was made in a Lee factory.

Taterhead likes this.
  14. Taterhead

Taterhead

Does it look like this one? This is a regular Lee taper crimp die.

[​IMG]

Oh good call. Never occured to me that it might be a plain ol' taper crimp die.

15. robhic

Yep, that's 'zactly the die I have now. Like a pass-through expander die with nothing inside. When I tried to run a 9mm cartridge up into it, it wouldn't go further than the tip of the 115gr RN bullet. How and why does this thing work?

One thing for certain is that I need the Carbide FCD with the adjustment and ring inside. I appreciate you setting me straight that there are (I did NOT know) 2 types of Lee crimp dies. I got the "wrong" one and need to get another "right one. Thanks!

Last edited: Sep 25, 2020
  16. robhic

That's the (what I'll call) wrong die I have here except it has no collets anywhere. Completely empty die body.

17. robhic

I believe you're correct. I need the carbide FCD. I have a few and all have adjustable top halves and a small ring that 'floats' loose inside. That's what I have to get.

18. Taterhead

Taterhead

Honestly, I am in the camp of many who don't think that a post sizing ring is a good idea. I have a couple but never use them to crimp. Only with the Bulge Buster.

Me, I'd configure the taper crimp die that you accidentally got and be done with it.

19. Taterhead

Taterhead

The interior of the die body is shaped to impart the taper. Set a round with a seated bullet in the press and raise the ram. Turn down the die unto you feel it contact the case mouth. Lower the ram and adjust the die down slightly farther. Adjust thusly until you get the crimp you need.

20. robhic

I have the carbide FCD in .45acp, .45LC, .38/357 and the 9mm I was replacing. I've used them a bit and like the result. I know people say you don't need one and crimping with the seater is adequate. I did it that way for a while and just found the Lee carbide FCD made a neat round. That's why I have and use them. But thanks for showing me there are 2 types FCD. I appreciate your help and time.