close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

New Stihl 4 stroke weedeater

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by goatranch, Apr 2, 2012.

1. goatranch

goatranch

Who has a 4 stroke weed eater? How do you like yours??

Bought a new Stihl RS90R this weekend and went with a 4 stroke even though you still mix oil to gas. The thing sounds exactly like a 4 wheeler running. Not kidding.

Its quieter but tons of power!!

Last edited: Apr 2, 2012
  2. Swiper

Swiper

I got one. It's easy to start, comfortable to hold, quiet, and reliable.

3. fiveoboy01

fiveoboy01

I own a landscape maintenance company. We've been using the 4-stroke Stihl stuff(trimmers, backpack blowers, hedge trimmers) for a while now.

More torque than the 2-stroke stuff but not nearly as reliable and heavier. Half a pound might not seem like much, but it's a world of difference when you're holding the piece of equipment for 6-8 hours a day.

4. goatranch

goatranch

Yes I almost went with a model that used a hollow shaft to save half a pound but it added some to the price. Mines takes a few pulls to start where as my Echo was 2 pulls and go. It is quieter. I'm sure it will serve me well. Bought the 6 pack of Ultra oil and it doubles your warranty.

5. SpoiledBySig

SpoiledBySig Millennium Member

For the past 10 years I had an Echo 210 weed trimmer,
    [​IMG]

Just a few weeks ago I bought a new weed trimmer, an Echo again, this time a 225- (it was time for a new one).

[​IMG]

I have always been told by professionals (I really mean city and state lawn workers), that they use only Stihl weed eaters (line trimmers). I would sure have loved to have bought a 4 stroke weed whacker. My Echo cost about $189.00, just curious how much more a 4 stroke would cost? :dunno:

6. goatranch

goatranch

I have an Echo I replaced with this new Stihl I'm speaking of. I believe the Echo 23 cc engine cost about $170.00 12 years ago. Great unit!! My Stihl FS 90R seen here http://www.stihlusa.com/trimmers/FS90R.html
    It is a heavier unit but I can live with that. And can take a brush blade if I buy one.

was $300.00 plus a 6 pack of Ultra Oil and a $13.99 pack of line. Came to $355.00 with tax. there were 3 or 4-2 stroke models with same size engine as mine 28.4 cc. prices were around $199.00-$279.00

Yes I whacked my whole yard which is a fair amount and had plenty of gas left. Before with the Echo 2 stoke I would have used one full tank of fuel. Nothing like top quality.

The Echo will not run well. Need to continually choke it and then if it dies no starting till left for awhile. I think it needs a new carb. Probably fix it and sell for $50.00-$75.00 depending on cost of carb.

7. zoyter2

zoyter2 Yeah, so what?

I tried one of these and it was constantly in the shop. Seems they are great for professionals, but carbon build up was a problem with the "weekend warrior" like me. At least that is what two different factory mechanics told me.

8. SpoiledBySig

SpoiledBySig Millennium Member

Looks like it's well worth the $355.00. I wish I would have shopped around more before I bought this new Echo. I hate getting something new and then realizing I could have bought something better. Just like my John Deere L-100 riding mower, a few months after buying it (10 years ago) I realized I could spent a little more money and got one of those Zero turn radius mowers...but this riding mower still chugs along with little or no problems and just won't die.

That new Echo I bought will probably last 10 years or longer too. My older 210 Echo's pull rope broke inside. I should see about getting it fixed and then give it to my nephew...so he'll quit coming over every other month asking to borrow my weed eater.:cool:

9. mtpisgah

mtpisgah

I am just a weekend warrior when it comes to my yard work but I dropped the cash for a FS90 trimmer, BR550 blower, BG85 blower, and two Stihl chainsaws. Now I just need to replace my walk behind mower. If Stihl made one, I would be all over it.

10. OUSooner

OUSooner

I love Stihl products. But I have a Honda 4 stroke that is about 7 years old now. I don't think you can buy them anymore. It tough as nails and starts every time. I do have to change the oil every season.

11. Rinspeed

Rinspeed JAFO

I love Stihl products as well and bought a 441 saw last year, what a beast. If my Husky 2 stroke trimmer ever dies a Stihl would be at the top of the list.

12. gTWO

gTWO

I've had my fs90r for 3 years. Wonderful torque, smooth, and fairly quiet. Doesn't start all that easy, but I use so little gas that it may be getting old.

13. USMCsilver

USMCsilver Boat Life ©

I've had 4-stroke Troy Builts for years. I think I got my first about 8 years ago. I get a new one every two years because they crap out on me.

The good thing is, since I work at Lowe's and know the units have an "open R/A", well...I just take them back and get new ones. Just picked a new one up last weekend.

A weed eater should last more than two seasons. Especially when I only use it a few times a year.

14. 686Owner

686Owner NRA Life Member

I've had a Troy-built for about 3 or 4 years now. Heavy, but has good power. My old one was a 2 stroke Home-lite. The thing I don't like about the troy-built is I have to let line out 5x as much as with the skinnier line the home-lite used.

15. zoyter2

zoyter2 Yeah, so what?

Well, I have no idea what an "open R/A" is, but it is for damn sure something not available at my Lowe's for my trimmer. Troy Bilt is a POS that does last maybe 2 years of LIGHT use.

16. Homechicken

Homechicken

I bought the FS90R and the FC90 last year and they are fantastic. My old trimmer did a fair job, but the FS90R is much better and now I finally have an edger that edges the lawn in one pass as opposed to my old one that was so under powered I had to make 3 or even 4 passes along the driveway, curb and walkway to get it done. I can edge about 300 feet of driveway, curb, etc. now just walking at my normal pace.

17. certifiedfunds

certifiedfunds Tewwowist

Go diesel weedwhacker and never look back

18. OUSooner

OUSooner

19. certifiedfunds

certifiedfunds Tewwowist

:rofl:

20. BigMoneyGrip

BigMoneyGrip

Goat, be sure that you continue to use the Ultra oil. These 4-strokes like that oil way better than the other stuff.
    I have the exact same model and the first thing I did was take it apart to see how it works. There is some cool engineering in these engines.