close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

New Speargun

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by hogfish, Jan 22, 2006.

1. hogfish

hogfish Señor Member

Just got a JBL Explorer 24. Anyone ever use one? Comments? I've only ever used the bigger JBLs/Voits, with the 3 slings, large diameter shafts, as far back as when they were the Voit brand. This model has a smaller diameter tube/fuselage, a 5/16" shaft, 2 slings only. I figure with the lighter shaft, 2 slings should be plenty. I got a rock point spinning tip for it, but will probably get a break-away one later.
    I haven't seen any spearfishing posts on here, but hopefully there's someone around who's into sub-marine hunting.

Thanks.

2. gatorfish

gatorfish

very cool,

This year my two goals are to start bowhunting and get much better at freediving/spearfishing.

I just bought my first bow and jioned a gym with a poolto wimp my self into shape. I plan on buying designed freediving gear (been using average fins and mask) and a new speargun soon. choices, choices....

good luck.

3. hogfish

hogfish Señor Member

Looks like you're really getting into it. I've never done any hunting on land, but I can't see how it can be any more exhilarating than spearfishing. You never know what you're gonna find and, when you shoot something, you sometimes have to worry about sharks, or even a barracuda that might want to get a free meal w/o working too hard for it.
    So, have you been spearfishing, or are you thinking about starting? If you haven't, know that it's alot of fun. I've done it alot (for a living sometimes), but it's been about 5 years since I've done it regularly. Can't wait.
    Maybe when you're ready we can go shoot dinner!

Later.

4. gatorfish

gatorfish

I have done it, but only shallow water. My bottom time at any reasonable depth isnt at a comfortable/safe level yet. Thats my goal this year. really improve my freediving, then start spearfishing regularly.

5. gatorfish

gatorfish

Well,

bought some cressi 2000hfs and low vol mask earlier this year, and have been freediving regularly. While my bottom times in deeper water (55-65ft) arent great, I am getting better each time out.

very addictive sport

6. JimBianchi

JimBianchi Da Da CLM

About 15 years ago I spent 4 or more days a week freediving and spearfishing on the west coast of Greece. I was stationed thier for more than two years and the freediving is one of my best memories!

I miss it!

Jim