close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

New SmartCarry Rig

Discussion in 'Carry Issues' started by doc540, Feb 14, 2010.

1. doc540

doc540

My first one lasted two years, but Charlie said a small piece of rock'n'roll tape on the front wear point was add another couple years to the life of it.

Not for everyone's carry situation, but it's been perfect for mine.

[​IMG]

2. beforeobamabans

beforeobamabans FYPM

I really don't get this concept at all.

3. Crumbles

Crumbles The Dude

Oh, here, I'll help you out. It's for carrying while having a tucked in shirt.

4. tyger006

tyger006

It is a good way to carry deeply concealed. I don't carry this way often, but I do use it when I am needing something absolutely discrete. My Uncle somehow carries a full sized G17 down there, not sure how that works out.:wow:

5. FAS1

FAS1

It works for me when needed with G26. Usually in the summer when wearing t-shirt and shorts without a belt. Hard for me to find one holster that works for all situations and this one has it's place for me sometimes. Mine shows a little wear, but has not worn thru yet. I use a small cotton cloth folded up under the barrel to cushion the end and slightly raise the gun in the pouch. Probably helps with the wear on it as well.

6. Shima

Shima

That is the most dissapointing weakness of the Smart Carry. Mine wore out and frayed at that same spot and when I saw Charlie recommending duct tape, I almost came unglued. That just seems ridiculous. I guess it does work though. When I get home from work, I'll show what I did to mine. I reenforced the edge at the bottom with different black material that i hope will wear better than the original stuff or duct tape.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2010
  7. Thx-1138

Thx-1138 NRA Member

I rather like his answer. Instead of trying to sell you another holster, he's giving you an option that will save you money.

8. Shima

Shima

I appreciate him for not trying to sell another holster when I only got one summer out of his product. I just thought the duct tape idea was kind of a cheap, jury rigged (sp?) solution. Maybe he needs to come out with a repair patch kit or something. Just saying.:dunno:

9. Paul7

Paul7

You don't have to use the SmartCarry in front, I often use it at a 4 O'Clock position under a jacket or t-shirt. Very easy on and off.

10. Shima

Shima

I started carrying mine at 3-4 oclock under my gym shorts around the house.

11. Palouse

Palouse The Resistance Lifetime Member

Sometimes I have to be hit over the head with a brick to see the obvious.

I'll have to give the four o'clock position a try with my j-frame. Sitting down with the muzzle resting on my junk always made me really, really nervous.

12. 01GlockFan

01GlockFan

I love my smartcarry, escpecially here in Florida. I'd be careful carrying in the 4 o'clock position though. I tried that once with my G27, and while sitting on a stool in my kitchen, the damn thing popped out, and slide down the leg of my shorts and onto the floor. I'll NEVER carry that way again. It's either 12 o'clock (Smartcarry), or else a different holster.
    :cheers:

13. Shima

Shima

This is a picture after it wore out and I repaired it, not with duct tape.

14. Shima

Shima

15. Elvis Lives

Elvis Lives

what is that shima? how did you apply it?

i don't get it...doesnt that guy double or triple or whatever stitch it extra in that areas? so you dont need to do that? so he is saying that it will last 2-3 years? how would duct tape really stick on denim anyway, without having to reapply it all the time...stapling it?

16. Elvis Lives

Elvis Lives

and why couldnt the smartcarry guy just incorporate what you did in his design. seems simple enough right?

17. Shima

Shima

That's black material sewn in. It's not a problem with the original double stitching or whatever, but the black material sewn around the holster wears out pretty often from what I can tell. Duct tape doesn't seem like it would stay, but that is his recommended fix for it because "it doesn't matter what it looks like and you can replace it easily." His words, not mine. PS- I used a old black t-shirt to repair mine.

18. Shima

Shima

You would think he could since he knows that is a weakness of his product. Maybe I should send him a picture.

19. Defender77

Defender77

A weakness that will ensure the product will have to replaced one day and perhaps a new one purchased.

Just joking

I had to reinforce my smartcarry with duct tape too.....even on the stretchable straps, because some of it was coming apart...like a thread here or there. Nothing major.

It's been great so far.

20. Shima

Shima

I would expect the holster to wear out, but not after only one summer.