close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

new small game hunter with questions

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by Sprokker, Nov 27, 2002.

1. Sprokker

Sprokker

Hi folks, I'm about to hunt hares for the first time. I'll be using a Marlin 60 (.22 LR semi-auto), what bullets do you recommend? Plated hollow points?

Can you recommend a web site with cleaning & field dressing instructions, preferably with good photographs?

What equipment do you bring with you when you hunt rabbits or hares?

Thanks!

2. ithaca_deerslayer

ithaca_deerslayer

You'd first want to shoot whatever your gun feeds reliably and shoots accurately.

After that, I personally don't think it matter much what you shoot as long as it is high velocity ammo. 40 grain solid or hollow points, either should work fine.

What equipment? A .22LR and a knife.

No secret to skinning, just start down low on the belly and slice the skin up toward the neck. Be careful not to slice into the intestines. Empty the guts out. Then slice out along each leg. Then peel the skin back, helping with the knife as you go. Cut the skin off at each foot and at the neck (so you leave the feet and head covered). Cut off the feet and head. There's your basic rabbit, just like a chicken you buy at the grocery store.

The meat along the back (there's two thick strip each side of the spine) is especially good.

When hunting, try for head shots if you can, especially when they sit after a run. Shoulder/heart/lung shots work, too.

3. smeet5150

smeet5150 Southern Son

I recently tried CCI Velocitor Gold Dot 40gr .22's. They are really accurate and come out at over 1300 fps from a 20" bbl. do a search for "velocitor" on here and you'll find 'em

smeet

4. noway

noway

We are talking small games rabbit/hares etc...

They aren't the most difficult animal to put down unless they are a West TX Jack rabbit which btw is really consider a hare.

Almost any bullet that's reliable should be plenty enough. The range is normally short distance 30yrds or less and they always are stop in their tracks with head shots.

FWIW:I like 12ga #4/#6 steel/lead shot in a 7/8oz or 1oz loading from a 870pump IC/Skeet choke. Never had a wabbit escape this load and all have ended up in a roasting pan or stew pot.That load above for me is cheap at around $3.50-$3.99 for a box of 25 shells.Maybe not as cheap as 22s but very good for a shotgun & deadly for a wabbit

Good luck on you're future hunts

5. mpol777

mpol777 Feral Member

the rabbit won't know the difference between bullet types. i use winchester wildcats because that's what my gun likes.

like ithaca said be careful with the innards til you get them out. nothing like a bust intestine or bladder to wreck good meat. break the knees by bending them the wrong way to get your knife in there to cut the tendons. a rambo style knife can be used in a pinch but a good small sharp blade is best. my small game knife has a full sized handle and 2" blade.

spray out the carcass with a hose to get any small pieces out. i soak mine i a bowl of cold water with some salt. then pat it dry with a towel before putting in a freezer bag.

6. Esox357

Esox357

Well for expedient rabbit cleaning, I sqeeze the rabbit from the front legs down to the anus and this empties the intestines and everything out the butt. Try it, it works and saves from the smell, but you still need to cut them open to cool them and skin them. Take Care Esox357

7. Sprokker

Sprokker

Thanks for all the advice! Can't wait to try it... I'll let you know how it works out.

8. Michigun

Michigun Miss Michigan?

You'll have fun with that .22, but don't be too upset if you don't hit a darn thing! Rabbits ain't slow!

9. Sprokker

Sprokker

Yeah I'm expecting to not hit anything but dirt... But I've been enjoying just walking and watching the critters for years, so I don't think I'll mind too much.
    :)

10. Michigun

Michigun Miss Michigan?

Now that's a great attitude to have!:)

11. noway

noway

The shotgun makes hunting small game much easier but you can still miss a stationary rabbit just as easy as a fleeing rabbit.

Don't worry about not hitting the animal, you'll find just locating them is sometimes the biggest problem and obstacle. Everytime I goes gray squirrel hunting w/SG I find they stay home. When I'm in th woods just nature sighting they are all out and about jumping and playing around.

Get out their and at the minimum just enjoy you're self.

12. MrMunster

MrMunster

I've always hunted rabbits with a .22 and just about any round will work. I usually try for head or shoulder shots because I hate the stink of rabbit guts.

The only usable meat on a rabbit is in the legs and back meat, the rest can be discarded. Since I hate the smell of rabbit guts, I DON'T GUT THEM. Instead, I skin the rabbit, fillet off the back loins being careful not to cut into the abdominal cavity, cut off the front legs, and remove the back legs last.

The front legs will come off very easily if you twist the foot slightly inward and cut from rear. The rear legs are slightly tougher since you will either have to break the hip joint or cut through it.

13. smilinjimmy

smilinjimmy

I've had quite a few different rifles, and personaly chose a 10-22. I also still have several bolt actions. I have wasted my money on every kind of ammo I've ever seen, looking for the best mix of $ vs. accuracy. I spent more hours cleaning goo out of my guns than you would beleive. Don't do it man! It's horrible. Trust me on this one, if they shoot well from your gun, stick with them. CCI mini-mag, and mini-mag hollow points. I catch them on sale locally for 200 rds@5.00. My guns shoot as consistently as you please, unless were talking match .22. I can shoot 10 round groups at 50 yards, and cover them with a dime out of my Ruger. (boy did I spend some dough on that one, but it's done at last). And that group was with standard mini-mags.

Just my .02
    ;f

14. nezlab99

nezlab99 Goldmember

...so it's time to kill them! Sorry, that's just so funny and ironic.

I live in west TX and there is no shortage of jackrabbits here. I like to use a 12guage, but my mini14 with open sights is the most fun. I've also tried my 22 Buckmaster; the only problem with that is that the things dart around so damned much they're hard as hell to hit. With the 22 it is very hard to hit them, and even if you do, it usually isn't the best shot. It's hard to find them after you hit them, especially if there's brush or holes around. The dang things just automatically know to zig-zag, jump, and go really fast.
    I say bring a larger round or a shotgun (maybe even a 20guage).

I've heard from people that actually eating them is bad... something about "rabbit fever"? Has anyone else heard of this?

15. noway

noway

"I heard of this same diease and it was wise to check the liver for spots" At least that was what I was told. Not sure if this is a old wives tale or what.

The bad thing about the jack rabbit and shotgunin them, they don't let you get to close for a good shot and they run very fast so don't even think about a second shot if you spook them or don't get them with the first shot.They are very tough creatures.

btw:They do stay pretty still makeing them easy targets with a small caliber rifle, but to get within 35yrds of them was almost impossible when I was in West Tx and OK.And another good small game/pest is the prairie dog. Try shooting them with a open sights rifle or shotgun. Not very easy or reccommended!