Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do you guys feel about the new Taurus PT709 slim pistol? It looks like a copy of a single stack G26 with the exception of the external safety. It even has a tennifer finished slide and glock style takedown lever IIRC.

I have a Taurus revolver and have had no issues with it. I may have to try one of these.

Darn it GLOCK, where is the slimline version of the 9mm to accompany your G36?

·
Registered
126,359 Posts
How do you guys feel about the new Taurus PT709 slim pistol? It looks like a copy of a single stack G26 with the exception of the external safety. It even has a tennifer finished slide and glock style takedown lever IIRC.

I have a Taurus revolver and have had no issues with it. I may have to try one of these.

Darn it GLOCK, where is the slimline version of the 9mm to accompany your G36?
I like Taurus revolvers, but can't stand their autos.

·
Registered
961 Posts
I may be wrong here, but I don;t think Glock caters to the civilian market.

Yes they have excellent customer service and yes their pistols are some of the best out there, but they make enough money with police/military contracts and civilian purchases that they don't need to design a new platform like a single stack 9mm — though it would fast become one of their best selling guns. :whistling:

·
Registered
698 Posts
How do you guys feel about the new Taurus PT709 slim pistol? It looks like a copy of a single stack G26
I didn't know you get a single stack version of the G26? Or are you saying it looks like a copy of what a single stack G26 would like if Glock made it?

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
I just find it amusing. I wish it was a GLOCK 26 slim. It is frustrating to see this from Taurus but you wish it were a GLOCK. GLOCK is trying but they keep doing things that are a gimmicky and don't make sense.

How many time will people have to request a single stack 9mm, longslide 45, and no more finger grooves?

I didn't know you get a single stack version of the G26? Or are you saying it looks like a copy of what a single stack G26 would like if Glock made it?
What I mean is that I, and others, have been wanting a GLOCK like this for years. GLOCK never makes it so Taurus ends up beating them to the product market. It looks a lot better than that slim line Walther or what ever brand it was that came out a while back. Look at it. It has the GLOCK style takedown lever, GLOCK style trigger safety, is striker fired, has a tennifer treated slide, and the grip checkering is very similar to that 2nd generation GLOCK checkering with no finger grooves.

I just wish it had GLOCK on it.

·
Registered
2,647 Posts
It's looks like the same size as a Keltec p9. But 5 ounces heavier and one more shot.
I would give it a try if I wanted a super small 9.
Me personally I either go really small, and carry a flyweight 380, or carry a normal size 9mm like the G19 or Sigma that have almost twice the capacity.
These super small 9mm's are tempting, but so far I have resisted the urge.

·
Stop the steal!
18,298 Posts
I may be wrong here, but I don;t think Glock caters to the civilian market.

Yes they have excellent customer service and yes their pistols are some of the best out there, but they make enough money with police/military contracts and civilian purchases that they don't need to design a new platform like a single stack 9mm — though it would fast become one of their best selling guns. :whistling:
I wouldn't know for sure either, but I'd be willing to bet there's something about the Glock design that is a big obstacle to designing a single stack. There are so many different versions of Glock pistols to think they haven't catered to the civilian market in the past.......so, there's just got to be some other reason that would explain why they haven't done a single stack compact.

You're right that it would be a very big seller........

hog

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I wouldn't know for sure either, but I'd be willing to bet there's something about the Glock design that is a big obstacle to designing a single stack. There are so many different versions of Glock pistols to think they haven't catered to the civilian market in the past.......so, there's just got to be some other reason that would explain why they haven't done a single stack compact.

You're right that it would be a very big seller........

hog
But they did make a single stack. It is the 36. A 9mm would be even slimmer.

Here is a front view that shows the GLOCK style trigger and a front strap that looks like the pattern on a 2nd generation GLOCK.

·
Curious Member
19,885 Posts
What military/police purpose does a G36 serve other than maybe a backup gun?

However, I tend to agree. Gaston doesn't give a rat's behind about the civilian/citizen market. If he did, there'd be a 9mm single stack and a carbine by now. Or maybe one of the other dozens of adaptations people commonly ask for.

-Emt1581

·
Nonentity
4,472 Posts
The reason Glock isn't making one is because they're generally in the business of making guns that work.

Glock's one single stack model is also its most controversial and trouble-prone. Glocks seem to work best as double stack guns. Maybe when the G36 slide was thinned, it became too light to properly counteract the recoil forces. I can't think of any other factors. Whatever the reason, my guess is that the frequent problems with the G36 revealed some basic fact about the design to the Glock engineers which discouraged any further developments in the single stack field.

·
Curious Member
19,885 Posts
The reason Glock isn't making one is because they're generally in the business of making guns that work.

Glock's one single stack model is also its most controversial and trouble-prone. Glocks seem to work best as double stack guns. Maybe when the G36 slide was thinned, it became too light to properly counteract the recoil forces. I can't think of any other factors. Whatever the reason, my guess is that the frequent problems with the G36 revealed some basic fact about the design to the Glock engineers which discouraged any further developments in the single stack field.
Why not say that somewhere on an "official" site? We all know how up to date the TeamGlock and Glock sites are...but with so many people screaming for a single stack...becoming bitter over a lack of one...why not give people reasoning for not creating one?

What you say makes sense though.

-Emt1581

·
Stop the steal!
18,298 Posts
But they did make a single stack. It is the 36. A 9mm would be even slimmer.

Here is a front view that shows the GLOCK style trigger and a front strap that looks like the pattern on a 2nd generation GLOCK.
I apologize for not knowing the details, but isn't the Glock 36 magazine the same width as other Glocks? If so, there was no real design changes to the Glock frame in order to make it a reality......frame width would be the same.

I suppose Glock could make a single stack Glock 26 and make it like the magazine on the left......but, that would really defeat the purpose of having a firearm that was thinner for ccw purposes......don't you think?

hog

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I apologize for not knowing the details, but isn't the Glock 36 magazine the same width as other Glocks? If so, there was no real design changes to the Glock frame in order to make it a reality......frame width would be the same.

I suppose Glock could make a single stack Glock 26 and make it like the magazine on the left......but, that would really defeat the purpose of having a firearm that was thinner for ccw purposes......don't you think?

hog
The G36 magazine is a good bit thinner than the G30 mag and a slight bit thinner than a G17 mag. If it had 9mm bullets in it instead of .45 then it could be even thinner.

·
Stop the steal!
18,298 Posts
The G36 magazine is a good bit thinner than the G30 mag and a slight bit thinner than a G17 mag. If it had 9mm bullets in it instead of .45 then it could be even thinner.

OK then.....cbsaf......I stand corrected on that one.

In that case, I suspect crazymoose's suspicions might have some merit to them........

hog

·
Registered
4,762 Posts
Why not just buy a kahr P9.

mine has been a great weapon for years.

it is what a single stack glock might have been like.

·
Stop the steal!
18,298 Posts

Most likely Gokyo.......

I think the question was why Glock hasn't responded to the obvious market trends, by providing a single stack compact.......that's what is being discussed.

We've heard the theory that Glock isn't interested in what the civilian market demands......they have bigger fish to fry!

I, personally, don't buy that.......I think if Glock could easily provide a thin G26, or G27.....they would. I don't think anyone here is thinking it wouldn't be a money-maker for Glock, if they did........

Some of us are chewing on the theory that the reason a thin G26 doesn't exist, is because of some unknown (to us) engineering obstacle that Glock would have big difficulties in overcoming..........?

hog

·
Registered
4,762 Posts

1 - 20 of 45 Posts