close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

New Shooter

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by Christopher R., Mar 23, 2010.

1. Christopher R.

Christopher R.

Hi,

I'm a new shooter looking to buy my first gun. I'm mainly going to be using this gun for my CCW, but I'm also going to be doing a lot of target practice with it as well. I've been thinking about the different caliber, and I think I want to go with a .45. If the event ever comes up where I have to fire my weapon I only want to do so once. The ammo isn't a big concern for me as a buddy of mine reloads ( Not sure if that's the technical term or not.. ) the brass extremely cheap.

I haven't went into a gun store yet and even held a few guns to see what I like. I've shot a few guns, but only a handful of times. The only reason I haven't went in to check the guns is because I'm not sure which hand I'll be shooting with.

Through various tests I've determined that my dominate eye is my left, however I do everything with my right hand. I keep getting assured by people that I should still be shooting with my right hand.

When I've went shooting before I tried my left and it seemed a bit weird, but I think I did better with my left straight from the start. Should I continue shooting left? If that's the case should that influence the type of handgun I get?

Someone recommend that I look into the Smith & Wesson M&P45 because it offered some left hand shooters some great features. After reading a lot of reviews though, it sounds like GLOCK is a pretty solid brand and I've been wanting to try it out. Does GLOCK offer anything for left hand shooters in a decent sized CCW? I've heard that there's the mag release that can be switched, but what about the slide release?

Any input is appreciated, thanks.

--

On a final side-note it actually took me two days to register here to post this. It appears the first time I registered the administrator or moderator didn't feel my account was legitimate or something and deleted it. I tried checking the actual user profile again based off the userid numbers and sure enough it was deleted after a day or two of waiting. I made this account last night and actually used my name for the account name and they let me through. :)

2. oldnoob

oldnoob

I would recommend you pick a full size gun first before you pick your CCW piece. Get used to shooting first than think about how you going to conceal it.

3. GreyEclipse

GreyEclipse TheGreyEclipse

No gun is a one shot stopper. Although I love the .45ACP, it's my favorite pistol caliber, it doesn't mean it's going to stop someone in one shot, that's just bull that .45 addicts tell you, if they say that then they obviously haven't been in a gun fight. You should shoot with your right hand but aim with your left eye. I know of many people that do this and even I sometimes do it, it's really just a preference. For guns though, I recommend that you go try them all out. Guns are different for everyone and you have to find the right one that suits you perfectly. With that said, if you only plan on buying one handgun then go grab a Glock. It's just a tool that guys use but if you're going to become a gun enthusiast then you'll want to hold and shoot as many different guns as you can before you choose one. Or you can go get a Glock now and then if you get addicted to shooting you can always look around for other guns that suit your fancy. Good luck!

4. FLglockdude

FLglockdude

Look at a Glock 19.

Big enough to shoot all day comfortably, and small enough to carry. 9mm is much cheaper than .45ACP, therefore you will be able to practice more, and in my humble opinion (not trying to start a caliber war) the 9mm does the exact same thing the .45 does. There are plenty of left handed Glock shooters that will tell you if you train with the gun, having no left handed controls is a non issue.

If the Glock isn't to your liking, an XD9 Service is also a great option.

Also, whoever told you that .45ACP is going to put somebody down in one shot is mistaken. No service caliber handgun is going to put somebody down in one shot unless you hit them in the head, or sever the spinal cord. Shot placement is far more important than what you shoot them with. That is why I would recommend a 9mm, it will allow you to train more (I highly doubt your friend can reload .45 cheaper than factory 9mm) and in a self defense situation, a quality 9mm JHP is very effective, with proper shot placement of course.

5. Kickitsimple

Kickitsimple

What he said! I am a lefty and I feel the gun is just perfect without lefty options. IMO the 19 is a great first gun and wont cost an arm and a leg to practice with.

6. Zombie Steve

Zombie Steve Decap Pin Killa

Whatever fits your hand, don't worry about the slide stop being ambidexterous. If the slide locks back, put in a new mag, pull back on the slide with your off hand and let it slam forward.

Some folks use the slide stop as a slide release, but I think it's a better habit to yank the slide itself. It's the same on every auto and easier to do than find a little lever, particularly under stress.

Welcome to the gun world, and welcome to Glocktalk.

7. GAFinch

GAFinch

.45 is a good choice if you can get it cheap from your buddy. If you want something for range use and also thin enough for carrying, look into a 1911. I'm sure your buddy is familiar with them. The RIA Tactical comes to mind, as it has an ambidextrous safety and can be had for ~$450-500.

8. telecster

telecster

Glock Generation 4 have ambidextrous Mag release..Training..Find Tom Gresham's Gun Talk on the radio or podcast. I just started listening to Down Range radio also on podcast..Good stuff.

Corrected my error.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2010
  9. Jon_R

Jon_R

Glocks have always had ambidextrous safeties. :)

If you are new to firearms get a .22 semi and gets lots and lots of rounds down range. Nothing beats the .22 for lots of shooting practice at a cheap cost. It will easily pay for itself while you work on grip and trigger control and sight alignment.

My personal preference is a G19/23 for CCW. If you hart is set on .45 you can try the glocks. The standard grip in .45 is pretty big but they also have the SF. My wife has small hands and in .45 her preference is the XD. Her carry pistol is a 4" Full Grip XD .45. Since I usually carry a 9 or .40 she is there to bail me out. :)

10. telecster

telecster

I knew that I ment mag release..Sorry

11. dosei

dosei

Nope...still wrong. Ambidextrous Slide Lock

The mag release is reversible, it is not ambidextrous.

12. Aceman

Aceman

First of all - compliments to you for two reasons:
    #1 You have done some homework
    #2 You are asking a lot of correct questions

All good advice above. for the record, I'm left eye dominant, and shoot right hand right eye! Been doing it all my life. No problems - according to me.

Also - don't worry about the caliber. Anything 9+ will do. I like 9 for a lot of reasons, but 45 does have it's appeal. at the end of the day though, good shooting is good shooting. whoever has the most time-on-trigger usually wins no matter what the caliber.

As for specific guns, I can't say much about lefty issues. I will say though that XD's are about the best total value/performance going out there!

Feel and point are the most important things though. Decide based on that to narrow the pack.

13. RonS

RonS Millennium Member

Find a local range that rents handguns and take the NRA basic class then rent a number of different guns to try them out.

I would try at least these guns.
    Glock 19
    Beretta 92
    Sig with the traditional DA system with the frame decocker
    Maybe a Ruger P series like the P345 and a few other random choices

I would not worry about caliber at first, just shoot a few and decide what action type you like. Then if you want a .45 you can find one in that style of gun.

I would not listen to anyone who only advocates a single gun or caliber as "the answer". There are a ton of good handguns out there and you may find one you like that would escape your notice if you make up your mind too soon.

The difference in real life stopping power between 9mm .40 and .45 is pretty small, make sure that you are not selling yourself unrealistic expectations, there is no magic caliber or bullet.

14. dosei

dosei

:welcome:
    Christopher,
    First you need to find out what your buddy is currently set up to reload. Brass may be inexpensive, but die sets are not (plus you have the primers, powder, & bullets). If your buddy is not currently equipped to reload 45acp, it's going to cost a bit. Also, if you put much value on your time, reloading becomes less and less of a money saver.

As other have noted, there is no "one shot" caliber. There is no gun that, when fired, will only ever need to be fired once. Handgun, shotgun, rifle...it does not matter...NONE of them are guaranteed one shot stoppers.

Eye dominance, hand dominance, and guns...
    Since you starting out pretty green, it's kinda up to you. I'm of the opinion that a defensive firearm should be easy for either hand to use effectively. This is one of several reasons why I'm quite fond of Springfield Armory's XD & XDm lines of handguns. They all have magazine releases that are ambidextrous (not reversible, like Gen 4 Glocks & S&W M&P's, but truly ambidextrous). The slide catch, for me, is irrelevant since I use the "slingshot" or "overhand" method to release the slide. However, ambidextrous slide catch levers are very nice. And non-ambi mag release buttons are easily pressed with the trigger finger instead of the thumb.

(By the way, I'm right handed but left eye dominant. I use my right eye when shooting with my right hand, and left eye when shooting with my left hand. I didn't know I was left eye dominant until after I hand been shooting rifles/shotguns/handguns using my right eye for 30+ years, so my "weak eye" is not weak at all.)

I would recommend you look at:
    Sig P250's
    Springfield Armory XD's (especially the XD45 Compact Service)
    Springfield Armory XDm's
    S&W M&P's
    Glock's
    Ruger SP9C's

If at all possible, shoot several...in several different calibers. Indoor shooting ranges usually have several guns that you can rent & shoot. Find some way to try before your buy, it helps a lot.

15. glock2740

glock2740 Gun lover.

Pretty good advice. But you're dead set on .45, then you might want to look at the XD45 Service also, before you buy.

16. bac1023

bac1023

17. Murph33

Murph33

I am a really big fan of Glocks and I do like my G21 and G30. However, if you are adament about getting a .45 I would suggest the Springfield XD in .45. Out of these three guns this is my favorite one and has the most comfortable grip (not near as big around as the Glocks).

That is all I have to add as many before me have given you a load of great advice.

18. Berto

Berto woo woo

What he said.
    Also, no caliber assures a one shot done deal. Get a good handgun in a caliber that is easy to manage and learn to hit well with it.

19. FireForged

FireForged Millenium #3936 Millennium Member

Dont count on just firing a SD weapon "once".

You can start with a hand cannon if you want and many do. I have always suggested to new shooters that they train with a small cal, master the finer points of safe/proper shooting teniques prior to moving up to large cal.

I have owned many many handguns over the years and here are a few that I like and trust enough to use in SD.

Springfield 1911
    1st 2nd Gen Glocks
    Browing High Power
    Sig

Old Smith-Wesson Revolvers
    Ruger Revolvers
    NAA mini

I am also cross dominant (left handed -right eye dominant). I would be glad to share my technique if this becomes a topic.

20. Cole125

Cole125 Silver Member

:welcome: First off good to hear about someone getting into the world of shooting and firearms. Make sure to join the NRA!

The Glock is a good beginners handgun, is you want a .45 acp get a Model 21. They are friendly to both right and left hand shooters. If you are right handed, you will be a right handed shooter.

Also I will add no pistol caliber is a one shot stopper. In many instances police officers have unloaded 15 rounds of .40 into a felon and it didn't stop them. .45 acp, is a great choice for self defense.

I would also suggest getting a .22 lr pistol for cheap practice. **** luck.