close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

New Shooter with a Glock 19

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by mrclean099, Sep 7, 2004.

Tags:
  1. mrclean099

mrclean099

I fired my Glock 19 at the range for the first time today. It was fun, but I'm still a bit nervous around handguns. It took about 50 rounds before my hand would quit shaking. That's funny, because I didn't have that problem at all when I was with the instructor. Still, I went through 150 rounds and did pretty well at close range. I was able to group my shots within 7 inches of the bullseye at 7 yds. and within 10 inches at 15 yds., with a few stray shots that were way off. I still need a lot of practice. The recoil was noticeably greater than the Glock 17, but not overwhelming.

The good news is that I am comfortable with my Glock 19. It feels good in my hands and I have no problem loading, firing, and maintaining it. Clean up was a snap, and everything functions properly according to the owner's manual. I fired Winchester 115 gr. "Luger" rounds through it today. I have the factory 10 round mags. From my limited experience, nothing seemed out of wack.

The important thing though, is that I feel very safe using the pistol. The only thing I'm timid about is the shooting. I think I'm just anticipating the recoil too much, and need to loosen up a bit. Also, on the 15 yd. targets, my shots would fall low to the right or left a lot. What would cause that?

-Matt C.-

2. Perry F.

Perry F.

Hey! Yeh flinching causes low left shots for me, I'm right handed shooter.
    I go through periods of flinching, I find if I concentrate more on front sight, and let the trigger break be a suprise I shoot much better.
    From what I learned on this board, trigger control is a HUGE part of shooting accuratley.
    You just need practice. You should dry fire also.

3. mrclean099

mrclean099

I just realized something. The shot groupings were not "from the bullseye" but from each other, centered on the bullseye. After reading my post I realized the mistake. I'm not that bad of a shot.

-Matt C.-

4. TommyJ

TommyJ

5. Glockman67

Glockman67 #29 Supporter

Front sight focus, trigger control, proper grip and stance are the four basic fundamentals for accurate shooting.

gman67

6. wuhungsix

wuhungsix

snap caps got me out of flinching...

7. Ironbarr

Ironbarr

This might help.

-Andy

[​IMG]