close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

New Serpa CQC and Alabama Holster pics...

Discussion in 'Carry Issues' started by Kingfisher, Mar 31, 2010.

1. Kingfisher

Kingfisher

Just got my new Serpa CQC holster today and love it, it is OWB for IDPA. Shown with paddle attatchment.

Also pictured is my IWB carry, Alabama Holster, both for G19.

[​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Bob469

Bob469

I've heard bad things about the serpa... has to do with the retention mechanism and unholstering it with accidents happening... so be careful...

As for the alabama... i saw those recently and was wondering about them... hows the quality ? it seems to be the cheapest kydex like holster on the market... How do you like it ? Im a little worried about the wear it will put on my glock... The inside isnt lined is it ?

3. Kingfisher

Kingfisher

The Alabama is great quality and the price is good at 60.00 shipped. I have carried it for over a year now and after a couple of weeks in use you forget your wearing it. I wear it about 4:00. It fits most Glocks of the same size and smaller. I also use it for my G27.

I wish it came with some sort of liner to reduce slide wear. What I did was put a piece of Velcro tape (the soft side) inside each upper corner for a soft feel inside. Not that it needs it but it gives it a little tighter fit also.

Would highly recommend the Alabama holster.

I did a lot of research on the Serpa, what have you heard about it being unsafe unholstering? I don't see how anything like that could happen.

4. Bob469

Bob469

This is on Tactical Response... an awesome training company... AR/Pistol fight classes and everything in between...
    Why no Serpa holsters?
    An answer from our friend Paul Gomez: Begin Quote “Over the last year, I have developed some serious concerns with the Blackhawk Serpa Active Retention holster design. Various persons have brought these concerns to the attention of Blackhawk on several occasions and Blackhawk has chosen to ignore these very real issues.

The ‘Serpa Active Retention’ design consists of a plastic L-shaped component which functions as the release button [from the outside of the holster] and as the lock [which engages inside the trigger guard]. The short leg of the L-shaped lever pivots inward [toward the pistol], while the locking tab pivots outward to release the pistol from the holster.

According to the Blackhawk website, ”The release is made using your normal drawing motion, with the trigger finger beside the holster body. … As your trigger finger naturally comes to rest on the SERPA lock’s release mechanism, simply push the mechanism as you draw the weapon and it releases the gun for a smooth, fast draw.”

While Blackhawk may intend for the end-user to apply inboard pressure with the flat of the index finger, under stress, shooters tend to push the button with the tip of their index finger. After all, this is the manner in which most people have the most repetitions pushing buttons such as keys on a keypad or phone or ringing doorbells. When the finger pushes in on the release button and the user initiates the upward motion of the draw stroke, the finger tends to stay in motion and as the trigger guard clears the holster, the finger enters the trigger guard and contacts the trigger, with possibly tragic results.

I am aware of two instances where trained personnel have shot themselves using this holster in conjunction with Glock pistols. In August of 2004, a situation occurred with a live weapon that resulted in the shooter losing a 10cm piece of her femur. The other occurred with nonlethal training ammunitions in a force-on-force event in April of 2005. The impact of the NLTA was in the same area as the actual gunshot wound previously mentioned.

Following each of these events, Blackhawk was contacted and advised of the problems observed and concerns raised. In the first instance, they claimed that they were unaware of any previous issues with the design and insisted that the design had been ‘thoroughly tested by law enforcement and military personnel’.

After the second event, they were contacted by at least two people. Again, they stated that they were unaware of any concerns and had heard nothing similar from any sources.” End Quote

5. RioKid

RioKid

I like the looks of that Alabama IWB. :thumbsup:

6. Kingfisher

Kingfisher

After using the Serpa CQC for a couple of weeks now I can see how someone (could) shoot themselves while drawing the pistol. After releasing the pistol from the holster your finger contacts between the slide and frame. But it would not be the holsters fault, clearly operators fault.

Like I described above, the release button is not over the trigger, if someone were to accidentally shoot themselves it would be carelessness. Really not much different from any other holster out there.

Maybe the adjustment of the release button tension was too tight causing them to press hard when drawing.

I intentionally pressed hard while drawing fast (unloaded) and my finger ended up on the frame every time.

I can't see a design flaw, not holsters fault. Sorry.

7. toshbar

toshbar Timber Baron

I have a Serpa and have no problems using it. It's called keeping your finger out of the trigger guard. I have read about all these 2nd hand horror stories about rocks getting in the button mech so that it will not release the gun. I like mine a lot and have 4 other close friends who do too, all using glock 23/22.

8. Bill Lumberg

Bill Lumberg BTF Inventor

Only safety concerns are from user error. Gross user error.

9. DasBulk

DasBulk

I have no real issue with my Serpa, but I tend to like my Fobus more than the Serpa.

Its much simpler, holds closer to the body, cheaper, and lighter. Blackhawk calls the CQC Serpa a concealment holster, I disagree. The Fobus holds it much closer, with great retention. I take the Fobus over the Serpa if I had to have one for concealment.

That Alabama looks neat. But not my cup.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2010
  10. hikerpaddler

hikerpaddler

I wouldn't use a FOBUS on a bet, but they are flatter than the serpas. Not the best for concealment.

11. Nutt51

Nutt51

I just bought a Serpa CQC for my G17, but it's the
    Standard model and does not have the finger button,
    just an adjustable retention screw. It's working out
    good so far. I use it with the paddle to just slip on
    and off while at the range or when I go out at night.
    It does not conceal well, but that's not what I
    bought it for.

12. KK40384

KK40384

I have to agree. I have both the serpa and fobus and prefer the fobus over the serpa any day. It conceals way better than the serpa in my opinion.