Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Stopped by my favorite LGS this weekend to see if anything interesting had come in lately. They had gotten some new HKs, a few new Marlins, a KelTec CP33, and a handful of mid-70s to late 80s Smith revolvers on consignment. The three best of the Smiths were a P&R 1976 Model 66 4”, a 1985 686 8 3/8” with the patridge front sight, and a first year, 8 3/8”, full target, unfired Model 617. I would have loved to bring all 3 home, but, thanks to some unexpected expenses last month, I could only adopt 1.

Introduced in 1989, the S&W 617 is the follow-on to the classic K-22/Model 17, only in stainless steel and, in keeping with the aesthetic of the popular 686 and 629 Classic series, a full underlug barrel. (A few limited runs of “stovepipe” barreled models were made and are somewhat scarce.) Built on the K-frame, the early models were mostly square butt 6-shot versions available in 4”, 6”, and 8 3/8” barrel lengths. Later production models were available as either 6 or 10-shot, round butt variants. According to the Standard Catalog of Smith and Wesson, the internal lock system was introduced in both the 6 and 10 shot models in 2001 and the 8 3/8” barrel was dropped in 2002.

I already have the 4” and 6” versions, so the long tube version fits right in. The shorter barrel models have the smooth “combat” trigger and semi-target hammer where the new one is a true “Full Target” model with the serrated target trigger and wide-spur target hammer. The single action trigger is very good, coming close to my 1954 K-22. I’m really looking forward to getting her to the range. The factory grips are outstanding in fit and finish, and have wonderful color to them. As an added bonus, the original receipt, dated 8/6/1990, was in the box showing an out-the-door price of $346.50.

·
20,256 Posts
Stopped by my favorite LGS this weekend to see if anything interesting had come in lately. They had gotten some new HKs, a few new Marlins, a KelTec CP33, and a handful of mid-70s to late 80s Smith revolvers on consignment. The three best of the Smiths were a P&R 1976 Model 66 4”, a 1985 686 8 3/8” with the patridge front sight, and a first year, 8 3/8”, full target, unfired Model 617. I would have loved to bring all 3 home, but, thanks to some unexpected expenses last month, I could only adopt 1.

Introduced in 1989, the S&W 617 is the follow-on to the classic K-22/Model 17, only in stainless steel and, in keeping with the aesthetic of the popular 686 and 629 Classic series, a full underlug barrel. (A few limited runs of “stovepipe” barreled models were made and are somewhat scarce.) Built on the K-frame, the early models were mostly square butt 6-shot versions available in 4”, 6”, and 8 3/8” barrel lengths. Later production models were available as either 6 or 10-shot, round butt variants. According to the Standard Catalog of Smith and Wesson, the internal lock system was introduced in both the 6 and 10 shot models in 2001 and the 8 3/8” barrel was dropped in 2002.

I already have the 4” and 6” versions, so the long tube version fits right in. The shorter barrel models have the smooth “combat” trigger and semi-target hammer where the new one is a true “Full Target” model with the serrated target trigger and wide-spur target hammer. The single action trigger is very good, coming close to my 1954 K-22. I’m really looking forward to getting her to the range. The factory grips are outstanding in fit and finish, and have wonderful color to them. As an added bonus, the original receipt, dated 8/6/1990, was in the box showing an out-the-door price of $346.50.

Beautiful. Pre-lock, original grips, 8 3/8ths inch barrel, and it looks NIB.

It's Not FAIR that you have a 4 inch and a six inch as well, and I don't even have one!

·
Registered
13,839 Posts
Is it a no dash? My -2 is ten shot and aluminum cylinder. My 17 is a 10 shot aluminum cylnder forget what dash I think -7. It's full underlug barrel.

Very nice looking revolvers.

Reactions: RandomGuy

·
Registered
919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Is it a no dash? My -2 is ten shot and aluminum cylinder. My 17 is a 10 shot aluminum cylnder forget what dash I think -7. It's full underlug barrel.

Very nice looking revolvers.
It is a no dash model. My 4” is a -1 and my 6” is a 10 shot -6 I believe.

·
Watcher.
40,823 Posts
Hobbes is now stalking you,that is a pristine pistol.'08.

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
Very nice! Congratulations.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts