Glock Talk banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
14,358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a Ruger SR1911 in 10 mm. Wanted to try a 1911 pattern gun but wasn't enthusiastic about a 45ACP, seems that EVERYONE has one in 45ACP, not that that is in any way wrong.

Have had it for a couple years, it has been very reliable and shoots well for me. The first "fly" in the ointment is that you have to put a pin in the guide rod to restrain a very strong recoil spring. No biggie but getting the slide stop pin is a huge PITA for me and has always been so. Shot it Tuesday, it ran very well but getting the SS pin in was another matter, never go it in. A local gunshop gunsmith got it done but he used his experience with a procedure that is very different from what the owner's manual describes.

I had asked them if they bought guns like this, they said usually not. I had 4 extra magazines and a nice set of G10 grips for it. Gunsmith talked to the boss and came back with $600 in cash. VERY pleased.

Turned around and have a S&W M&P 2.0 in 10mm coming from Buds Gun Shop. I have an M&P 2.0 in 9mm and really like it, the 10 with ammo like Underwood is way out of the league power wise from the 9. 15rd mag compared to the 1911's 8 is nice too.

Current MSRP on the 1911 is $1222, think it was $1048 when I bought it but paid $780. So GREAT deal for me.

2022 hasn't been much, so this was beyond pleasing. Don

·
Cuhootnified Roamer
11,442 Posts
I would like to know how your M&P 10mm handles hot Underwood loads. A lot of folks are having issues, which has kept me from buying one. Please, when you can, share a range report with us.
Ditto here. Been wanting to get one as well but the reported issues are keeping me away.

Reactions: Appalachian Ron

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Have had serious issues with the 4” M&P 2.0 10mm. Sent it back to SW, they “polished the feed ramp and chamber.” Still have issues with full power loads. It functions 100% with loads are around 1100fps with 200grains bullets. I really like the grip, feel, and size of the gun. Super disappointed about the FTFs with full power loads. I’ve read the 4.6” version is more reliable with full power pellets; I can’t provide first hand experience comments. An Apex trigger is a strongly recommended upgrade. Huge difference. I’m debating if I’d should get a 4.6” or a the new Sig Xten.

As a side note, SW is a huge company and there’s no reason to offer a new pistol that hasn’t been fully vetted. Like zero reason. I’ve had problems with a few of their guns lately. I’ve got a few shares of SW stock. I voted against the current CEO.

·
Registered
129 Posts
It seems a lot of FTF issues have been traced to weak magazine springs. Apparently in the original form, S&W was using almost the same springs for 10mm as 9mm so it wasn't properly feeding heavier rounds. I haven't had any issues on mine yet.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
I would like to know how your M&P 10mm handles hot Underwood loads. A lot of folks are having issues, which has kept me from buying one. Please, when you can, share a range report with us.
Over on the S&W Forum, there are a number of folks having issues. If it runs well, it seems to be a very desirable pistol.
It is still a first model year. Have to let S&W run the public beta test.

·
Registered
14,358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
I will do that, probably won't get the gun for a week or so from Bud's.

I did call S&W and told the customer service person that I assumed that the M&P 10mm would handle all SAAMI spec loads and she said no issue. Don

Edited to add that I will try at least two Underwood loads as well as my handloads. Don

·
ULTRA MAGA
5,223 Posts
I will do that, probably won't get the gun for a week or so from Bud's.

I did call S&W and told the customer service person that I assumed that the M&P 10mm would handle all SAAMI spec loads and she said no issue. Don

Edited to add that I will try at least two Underwood loads as well as my handloads. Don
Thank you Don.

·
Registered
558 Posts
My 2.0 10mm likes the spicy ammo, no FTF. I have run a couple of different UW, Grizzly, and DT.
Factory target loads, hit or miss. I only have 150 rds through mine currently.

·
Registered
314 Posts
I purchased a M&P 2.0 with the 4 inch barrel and it would not reliably feed full power 10 mm loads until I’ve bought increased power magazine springs for it. I sent it back to the factory twice and all they did was polish the feed ramp and replaced some “magazine parts”.
Very disappointed that a simple solution (mag springs) has not been discovered by the technical staff at Smith and Wesson to make this right.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts