Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so I have been thinking of getting a new Ruger SP 101 for pocket carry, but I have heard from different sources that generally new revolvers are not as good or reliable as older ones. But I have also heard that Rugers are just as tough and reliable as they always have been, and in fact the steel being used in newer ones is better quality due to advanced refining technology. So if there is anyone here with extensive knowledge on this please give me some input. Thanks!

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
Congrats on your purchase. Been a fan of Ruger wheelguns for many years. Very reliable, great shooters. Enjoy and shoot safe

·
Registered
521 Posts
I have seen no degradation of quality. If the weight and dimensions suit you for carry I would buy with confidence.

·
Registered
202 Posts
I'm sure thier just as reliable as older ones. We have 3 in the family. Mine is pre mim parts and 2 with. No difference in functionality, BUT a very heavy piece for pocket carry in my opinion.

·
Registered
794 Posts
For pocket carry look at the Ruger LCR, in 9mm or 38/357
Ruger came out with the LCR specifically for pocket carry in all the right calibers.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
I have 3 SP's, one in 9mm which i really like, Only issue i have is the gritty triggers from the factory, but it ain't just the SP's.
I just bought a Kimber K6S and i have to say it's trigger is great out of the box, SP gonna be tiresome in the pocket, i have a LCR and it has pretty good trigger and works in the pocket.

·
Registered
12,912 Posts
I've had a GP100 in 3" and 6" and SP101s in 2.25" and my only one at this time is a 3" SP101. Various reasons for owning several and now only one. The 3"GP100 made me feel like was depantsing me when doing CCW. I just wasn't as accurate with the 6" as I liked. Almost certainly my fault, not the gun.

In any event, all were very good, solid guns, not a problem with any of them. I do CCW the 3" SP101 along with a couple 9mms. One of the biggest gripes I've seen on the internet is "crappy" triggers. I'd laugh at anyone who tried my 101s trigger and said it wasn't good. Smooth DA and crisp 4.75oz SA.

Go for it, fine revolvers and great Ruger customer service. Don

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
If you haven't tried pocket carrying a gun that heavy before, perhaps you could spend a day with an equivalent weight (about 27 ounces) of coins in your pocket to see if the sagging and bouncing are going to be a problem.

( Assuming a quarter weighs 0.2 ounce, that's about $33.75 in quarters.)

·
Registered
5,328 Posts
Bought an SP101 new in 2008. Shot the snot out of it, magnums and 38. Trigger started catching and had a horrible trigger pull. Called Ruger. Sent it off. Had it back in about a week, new hammer dog and a couple other things replaced and cleaned up like it was brand new. Almost felt bad shooting it after the work they did cleaning it.

Great guns. Great customer service.

·
Registered
2,815 Posts
I bought my Wife a Ruger SP101, she liked it so much more than my S&W 4" model 66. She wanted something in the house for her, she didn't like my Glocks, because she couldn't work the slide. She wasn't buying that the Glocks had a round in the chamber, just pull the Triger. Wouldn't have to work the slide. That just didn't register with her. So found a good deal on the Ruger, it wasn't new, but not used much. But I sure wouldn't want to carry it in my pocket.

Reactions: TGT

·
Banned
600 Posts
Got a Wiley clapp SP101 and it's a super accurate beast. Fantastic price to to carry although it's not lightweight but you need it when shooting full power 357mag where a 9mm squirt gun can't touch.

·
Registered
126,706 Posts
Got a Wiley clapp SP101 and it's a super accurate beast. Fantastic price to to carry although it's not lightweight but you need it when shooting full power 357mag where a 9mm squirt gun can't touch.
I’ll take the 9mm squirt gun. I see no reason to carry a steel revolver on the street. Seems like a lot of discomfort for no reason.

·
19,504 Posts
Ok, so I have been thinking of getting a new Ruger SP 101 for pocket carry, but I have heard from different sources that generally new revolvers are not as good or reliable as older ones. But I have also heard that Rugers are just as tough and reliable as they always have been, and in fact the steel being used in newer ones is better quality due to advanced refining technology. So if there is anyone here with extensive knowledge on this please give me some input. Thanks!
I don't think ther's any difference in quality but a Ruger LCR makes a lot better pocket pistol. If you really want quality, get a Kahr K6. Same basic size and weight as an SP-101 but it holds one more round and is heavy enough to absorb 357 mag recoil.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Most of mine are Blackhawks or Super Blackhawks, purchased over 35 years. All top quality. I have one DA Ruger, a GP100 357 mag 7 shot gun I bought new last year and it is also top Ruger quality.

I love Ruger sixguns and will not hesitate to buy more. This statement also applies to their 5 shot, 7 shot and 8 shot revolvers.

If you do have an issue their CS is quite good, I hear.

·
Registered
4,749 Posts
As has been said, the SP 101 just is way too heavy to be a pocket gun.
Like most Rugers its over built for a 5 shot revolver. Good for actually shooting it but lousy choice for a carry gun.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have had a first year (1989) SP101, 3", 5-shot .38 Special for a few years now (bought if from my older sister who had it since new and rarely shot it). I put a full Hoque grip on it and it feels as though it was custom made for my hand. I am not considering it for concealed carry (it is just too fun to shoot for recreation) but it would make a good EDC if the proper holster was employed. As has been said, too heavy for pocket carry.

If I'm going to pocket carry a revolver it will be my S&W 442 Airweight or my LCR with laser in .38 special.

Dan

1 - 20 of 21 Posts