GlockTalk Forum banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
3,497 Posts
I picked up an American 9 today. It feels good, trigger is decent and it's priced reasonable. It comes in a hard plastic case, two 17rd mags, three back straps and the usual garb. The photos show the large back strap. I'll take to the range in the next day or two to see how it performs.

The American along with a G19 for size reference.

Reactions: cwsmith17

·
Registered
125,266 Posts
Rugers, M&P's, Beretta's, Sigs. I love them all. Not a brand snob. I will own one.
Since I started my new program of only buying high end and/or collectable stuff, I'm reducing my existing polymers to just Glock and HK. In fact, all I want now in the polymer world is a couple higher end USP variants.

I have enough service guns. Not a brand snob, but trying to focus my collection better.

·
Huge Member
10,941 Posts
I always liked Rugers. They are for the most part reliable, durable and affordable. Never was much on their semi auto centerfire pistols though. They are kinda clunky looking. I did buy a used P97 during a time when I was collecting .45s. It was dirt cheap and I was pleasantly surprised how well it shot. P series guns work and are cheap but ugly as heck.

I've had a chance to shoot the SR series pistols. They are very good guns and a great bargain. Aesthetically though they miss the boat again. They just don't look like service pistols. As much as I think they are a very good bang for the buck they just don't appeal to me. On the other hand I may just buy a SR if the price falls under or near $300 (they are currently about $320 at CDNN) with the introduction of the RAP but only because I am a sucker for a great deal.

The RAP does have a certain aesthetic appeal IMO. It looks like a service pistol. For that reason I think a lot of people will be attracted to it whether they are Ruger fans or not.

Still not a Glock though. If you want something like a Glock, just buy a Glock.

BTW, it just occurred to me that the RAP sorta looks like a big version of the Ruger SR22 pistol. That pistol is pretty popular as much for it's looks as for it's function.

·
With Liberty and Justice for all.
20,486 Posts
Many people are brand loyal and will buy it just because of the Ruger name. However, the RAP isn't innovative and all that different from the rest of the market. If it performs like a Glock but is $150 to $200 cheaper, then it might do well though.

·
Registered
3,497 Posts
Nice Willie

It certainly appears to be a nicer gun than the SR series.
Thanks. I went into this particular shop to get info on suppressors and checked the displays before leaving seeing the American-9 and 45. For sure, I don't need another service type pistol. I liked what Ruger created and was curious to see how the modular chassis/fire control unit will perform. The 9 felt pretty good and was priced reasonably. I suspect the company will eventually offer frame and slide/barrel components similar to Sig's P320. The modular fire control unit is easily removed and reassembled-- once you learn how to fully seat the take down pin and reposition the trigger bar spring.

·
Polymerlicious!
5,821 Posts
What will be really funny is if the RAP is just a hint of things to come. Ruger does have the revenue and the production facilities to put out world class duty pistols. Now that Bill Ruger is dead and the market has more influence on operations, Sturm Ruger has been moving into new market segments, like ARs and 1911s, that they previously wouldn't touch.

If you think of the P345 and the SR9 as baby steps wading into polymer and striker fired pistols, the RAP is the jump into the deep end of the pool. It will either measure up and succeed in capturing a slice of the market, or it won't and they will try again with something else.

Instead of Chrysler, think Toyota. When the first Toyota pickups hit these shores, like Ruger autos, they were hard to take seriously. The pickups were boringly reliable, but "toys" and "cheap."

These days, Toyota trucks do take a bite out of the domestic brands. Not a dominant slice to be sure, but enough of one that no one laughs off Toyota's truck efforts any more.

Maybe the RAP won't be the breakthrough model, but I wouldn't bet money on the "new" Ruger company giving up on the entire duty pistol segment if it doesn't thrive.
Bingo. Well said.
Ruger has changed since the Old Man died, and for the better. As you said, they're more market driven now.
And one market Ruger has ignored over the years is the military/police market. The American Pistol lineup may help change that. They may make inroads into police departments who now carry Glocks or M&Ps down the road when they're looking for replacements. Knowing Ruger, they'll not only produce an excellent product but at an excellent price.
I just bought an SR45 a few months ago and absolutely love it. Had I known at the time the RAP was on the way, I probably would have held off and given it a try instead; no manual safety, no magazine safety, easier takedown, etc. Having said that, there are a lot of satisfied SR series customers out there and I'm one of them.
Down the road, the America Pistol will certainly get a hard look from me. I see it as a smart marketing move by a company that has the tools and resources to make a major move in a market which heretofore has been ceded to Glock and Smith and Wesson.
And competition improves the breed.

·
Registered
4,065 Posts
Thanks. I went into this particular shop to get info on suppressors and checked the displays before leaving seeing the American-9 and 45. For sure, I don't need another service type pistol. I liked what Ruger created and was curious to see how the modular chassis/fire control unit will perform. The 9 felt pretty good and was priced reasonably. I suspect the company will eventually offer frame and slide/barrel components similar to Sig's P320. The modular fire control unit is easily removed and reassembled-- once you learn how to fully seat the take down pin and reposition the trigger bar spring.
I'm in your state too. What city did you get it in and what price did you pay before tax ? I am about to sacrifice one of my Glocks to get funds to buy one of these. Any information is appreciated.

·
Registered
125,266 Posts
Good stuff, Willie

I'll be interested to hear how it shoots.

·
Huge Member
10,941 Posts
Bingo. Well said.
Ruger has changed since the Old Man died, and for the better. As you said, they're more market driven now.
And one market Ruger has ignored over the years is the military/police market. The American Pistol lineup may help change that. They may make inroads into police departments who now carry Glocks or M&Ps down the road when they're looking for replacements. Knowing Ruger, they'll not only produce an excellent product but at an excellent price.
I just bought an SR45 a few months ago and absolutely love it. Had I known at the time the RAP was on the way, I probably would have held off and given it a try instead; no manual safety, no magazine safety, easier takedown, etc. Having said that, there are a lot of satisfied SR series customers out there and I'm one of them.
Down the road, the America Pistol will certainly get a hard look from me. I see it as a smart marketing move by a company that has the tools and resources to make a major move in a market which heretofore has been ceded to Glock and Smith and Wesson.
And competition improves the breed.
Funny that I just read the book Glock: The Rise of the American Pistol much of which is about how S&W (which virtually owned the police market) screwed the pooch in the 80s with police pistols. Their QC was so poor police depts were looking for anything else when Glock came along. One of the executives was quoted as saying that when the new CEO of S&W was told that the Glock was killing them in market share told them to make something better. They replied they couldn't. He then said..."well, copy the M-Fer". Their first attempt was the Sigma which was a blatent ripoff and they got sued over by Glock. They then changed it enough and resurrected the M&P name which was a good marketing. Ruger on the other hand never had much presence in the police market except for their Mini14. The recent attacks in Paris and California kind of showcased the Mini14 as a less tactical looking police rifle which has other PDs looking at the Ruger name. It is good timing on the part of Ruger to bring out a more service type looking pistol.

Reactions: Lockback

·
Banned
15,725 Posts
Always been a Ruger fan. Still shoot an old P90 DC. It cycles and shoot even handles double charge and just cycles and shoots and it makes a good boat gun because it can also double as an anchor. Been shooting Glocks in IPSIC and IDPA matches since the 90s. Checked out a new 9mm RAP yesterday. Looks like just another stricker fired 9mm. Grip is long, small mag port but the extended back "strap" could assist in fast reloads. The large back strap makes the sight picture come up high from the draw.... but there are two others that I didn't try. Trigger is good for a stock trigger and the slide release is nice and smooth, easy and consistent.
Doc44

·
Registered
13,039 Posts
Gaston put the curse on me but, I'm cool with that.:rock:

·
Registered
16,889 Posts
Well, the wife just got back from shopping, and stopped off at the gun counter at Bass Pro. She was all excited, because she got to handle one of the RAPs and said it feels just like her SR 22.

As any married man knows, my wants and desires are totally irrelevant now.

Reactions: silentpoet

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
I think it will do fine at the right price point. If they bring them in at $425 or under, then they will sell. Hard to pay $475 for one with so many choices out there that are already established.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts