New Ruger .22

Discussion in 'Rimfire Forum' started by LT642, Sep 12, 2020.

1. Colt38SuperDude

Colt38SuperDude

Just the humble, basic bull barrel 22/45 MKIV.

544F05EA-0F54-48C0-8FA8-18A55BAE38F9.jpeg

2. Spats McGee

Spats McGee

I bought an extra upper from Volquartsen just so that I can turn my 22/45 Lite into one of those from time to time.

DAW9347 likes this.

3. Colt38SuperDude

Colt38SuperDude

I also bought the MKIV 22/45 Lite. I don’t care for it as much as the basic bull barrel. It seems to me the accuracy is more erratic. Maybe it’s that skinny barrel or maybe it’s me.

anyway, it makes for a great training gun with the ladies: not too heavy, not too light and not intimidating. The grip also preps the ladies for when or if they take the next step, which is the mighty Colt Super .38 Automatic.

I have an SR22 for training gun as well but some ladies complained that it’s too small and squirrelly in their hands. I still use it as a demonstration of the shootablity between different gun sizes.

0848D296-7ACB-4D46-9B49-83A43176A348.jpeg

DAW9347 likes this.
  4. Spats McGee

Spats McGee

It’s not just you. Mrs. McGee has the 22/45 Target and it’s notably more accurate for me than my own Lite. Interestingly, balance and accuracy on my life improve when I shoot it suppressed.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2020
    DAW9347 and Colt38SuperDude like this.
  5. ChrisD46

ChrisD46

*Love the take down feature of the new MKIV but not enough for me to part with my MKIII Target model ... For MKIII take down I simply send it to the MIT Mechanical Engineering Lab and let them deal with it (lol !!) ... In all seriousness - I would love to have one each of the current .22LR pistols (and rifles) Ruger offers as the SR22 , LCPII , etc, are all nice !

DAW9347 likes this.
  6. 1eyedjack01

1eyedjack01

The Lite version is a pistola I've never considered owning as the barrel design contributes to inconsistent accuracy.

DAW9347 likes this.
  7. DAW9347

DAW9347 Patron Life NRA Member

That's been noticed by many of the Ruger Lite 22/45 owners. The main reason that the barrel shrouds on the Lite versions, including the Mark III Lites, have either slots or multiple holes are for venting the heat during shooting. They sure sure ain't cosmetic. That skinny barrel liner heats up real quick and then will throw shots as it heats up.
    Another thing to watch for, is the barrel nut at the muzzle. Those have been found, and known, to loosen up over a short period of time.

Spats McGee likes this.
  8. DrewBone

DrewBone

As with lightweight rifles there are reasons for the existance of the Ruger 22/45 Lite® pistol, but with the latter one of those reasons isn't stellar accuracy; physics.

I knew before I got my Mark IV 22/45/Lite® that it wasn't going to be a precision shooter, but as it's intended purpose of being a lightweight suppressor host/plinker it's great, and I added a 3.5" bull barreled receiver to the mix as another relatively inexpensive option. And if I come across any other good deals on longer barreled receivers I may go that route as well.

The 22/45 Lite® is like having a lightweight multitool with a 1911 grip angle that's quickly able to be configured with different tools for different purposes.

Colt38SuperDude likes this.
  9. 1eyedjack01

1eyedjack01

My tolerance of inaccurate firearms has decreased significantly as I've gotten older. YMMV...

DAW9347 likes this.
  10. DAW9347

No, I don't believe it's you, many others have found that the Ruger Lite version is more geared toward "entry level" shooters and as mentioned, ladies, only because it feels lighter. That's the MAIN reason I don't own one, and much prefer the Ruger Mark III 22/45, especially when shooting suppressed with the most excellent "silencer" that I have. Only thing louder is a mouse fart:

[​IMG]

Once the majority of owners start actually shooting the 22/45 Lite pistols, they don't seem to like how the muzzle bounces around like the ball on the 'ol Mitch Miller sing along show.
    Some, like in the post above, have gone with the notice I posted here a while back on the availability of the "steel" 5 ½ bull barrel uppers at VC (Volquartsen Custom). Much easier to get back on target with being a bit heavier, due to less muzzle flip, as most have found and report.

Colt38SuperDude likes this.
  11. DrewBone

DrewBone

A very simple solution to your conundrum is to keep your Mark III and save your pennies for a Mark IV model of your choice!

Let me help you get started...

The disassembly and reassembly of your Mark III pistol isn't that bad or difficult, and can be easily accomplished by carefully following the procedures as outlined in your Ruger Mark III Instruction Manual. If you don't have a manual, here it is below in *.pdf form:

The disassembly procedure begins on page 22...

About the SR22...like any other pistol you'll get mixed reviews. Although I have large hands and it's a small(er) pistol, I really like it and actually prefer the smaller hand grip. Lastly it runs great suppressed...

[​IMG]

Now go buy more .22 pistols ;)

12. DAW9347

My intolerance for flawed pistols has also been ramped up from all my knowledge gained by experience. And.......that doesn't just involve ONE pistol.
    I've been working on, and with, these Ruger Mark pistols for over 50 years now. I've seen a lot of "newbies" make an "impulse" purchase when buying a firearm they later regret. After it's found that a specific version, of any gun, has quirks that are not easily overcome without knowing what to adapt, or correct, the only recourse is to stick in the drawer with their underwear. :nailbiting:

13. DrewBone

DrewBone

I've heard a number of folks who report increases in accuracy when shooting their pistols or rifles suppressed. I haven't shot a large enough array of different platforms yet to see a noticeable difference, so I'm going to be keep a keen eye on this as the number of different type hosts I own increases.

Spats McGee likes this.
  14. DAW9347

That's funny! The Ruger Mark III was sent to the public with several alleged "safety features". One feature, that most savvy owners, have found that they can do without, is the "magazine disconnect" feature. I worked with another fella who has access to CNC machining equipment, and we came up with a method to thwart the magazine disconnect for THOSE owners who wanted to do so. Makes dis and then reassembly much, much easier, and more like the Ruger Mark II.
    The other part was the LCI. That part was causing stovepipe spent cases for quite a few actual, Mark III pistol owners. Another fella, across the state from me, came up with an inexpensive part that cured that issue. Once all those issues have been corrected, and the hellacious amount of sharp internal edges were removed, this pistol became one of my very favorites:

[​IMG]

I'm always willing to discuss means and methods in "one on one" conversations here, or through my email.

Bradley T likes this.
  15. Bradley T

Bradley T

I have a Mk III 22-45, and that disconnect ruined a perfectly good pistol. It doesn't just stop the sear's release with no magazine in the gun- it interferes with everything else in the pistol too- magazine or not!

Well, I guess the safety's not affected by it, but I better not speak too soon!
    Whoever invented that disconnect needs to be fired and exiled to Slabovia!

DAW9347 likes this.
  16. Spats McGee

Spats McGee

I only own one suppressor. It's just easier and faster to get more hosts for it! That said, I keep my eye on Volquartsen in the hopes of picking up more uppers for my Mk IV frames that I can use as hosts.
    That one does look like a fun little plinker!

DAW9347 likes this.
  17. DAW9347

18. DAW9347

Whoever invented that disconnect needs to be fired and exiled to Slabovia!

Agree! Unfortunately, it's included in the Ruger Mark IV pistols also. But, there's hope. That situation involving the Mark IV pistols is being worked on, and an owner will NOT need to buy a kit for $150.00, PLUS!

19. Colt38SuperDude

Colt38SuperDude

I try to forget that magazine safety isn’t there.

20. DrewBone

DrewBone

'Same here, the Dead Air Mask HD, and it sure is both easier and quicker just to get more hosts for it then pony up for another suppressor then wait, wait, wait! I have yet to get a centerfire pistol or rifle can, but my discovery process on them is nowhere near complete, and I just don't pick such things from a hat - I like to thoroughly do my homework before commiting.

I check Volquartsen's closeout section numerous times per month, heck, I should probably be checking it weekly now that I think about it! Visiting their site is like walking into a pawn shop; you never know when something appealing may be there to purchase :D

And yes, the SR22 pistol is alot of fun...it's small, lightweight, and it just works!

Spats McGee likes this.