New Ruger .22

Discussion in 'Rimfire Forum' started by LT642, Sep 12, 2020.

1. DAW9347

DAW9347 Patron Life NRA Member

Don't kid yourself. The reason is for "better performance" of the pistols trigger. That doesn't account for better accuracy. Accuracy comes from much practice with trigger release and a steady hold when pulling the trigger, nothing mechanical will improve accuracy that's already there, only better performance of the particular pistol. Accept the facts or don't, no sweat off my "two boys".

2. 1eyedjack01

1eyedjack01

I discussing increasing consistent accuracy via improving the trigger pull not some precieved other benefit the other parts in the kit may provide. That's your circular thinking, not mine.

Yes you do expect me to agree with you and I simply don't. Get over it.

DAW9347 likes this.

3. DAW9347

Quite often with a new Ruger Mark pistol, including the Mark III version, I have found over the 50+ years with dealing with the few vagaries and quirks any "new" Mark pistol will produce, that the springs need some time from shooting to develop the working "set" those springs need, so they will function much, much better.
    With my customers, and this has worked for pretty much all of those who bought new pistols from me, and others, that the first shooting be done with CCI Mini-Mag 40 grain round nose ammunition. Some pistol springs will develop their working length in only a couple hundred of those rounds. Some springs need more to get there. Once those springs are "set", then Standard velocity .22 ammunition, quite often the MOST accurate with the CCI Standard, will work just fine.
    Another cause of Mark III pistol jamming can be caused by the LCI (Loaded Chamber Indicator), which is known by many Mark III savvy owners, including myself to cause spent case "stovepipes". Removal of that Ruger inflicted device is most often the final cure for that malady.
    This advice comes from having many Ruger Mark III pistols cross my bench, for more than just a sear up grade, so consider it for what you will, or you can go by what the owner of only ONE Mark III pistol can offer from the very little experience gained from that. :dunno:

4. DAW9347

Sir, Mr. Bone does indeed expect that all involved should take only his advice gained from owning just one, or maybe two pistol(s) of a certain make. Well, I'm not buying into that faulty investment either.
    I can only reiterate what my experience has been, being involved with a multitude of Ruger Mark pistols from contact, testing and internal inspection of these guns that I've personally done.
    He has never accepted the experienced knowledge I offer and as for me, I don't give a "CRAP" if he ever does. Truth be known, I'll bet some local gunsmith ran over his pet turtle years ago, and he's been P/O'd about that ever since. His thinking and "wrongful banter" will never convince me over to his errant way of thinking. Will he ever "get over it"? Most likely beyond his ability to work well with people, who don't always accept that his way is the only way. Poor guy has a problem with trying to "get along", and just likes to argue feeble points made.
    If I see a post with BS, I WILL indeed offer my experience rather than blindly accept bovine excrement included in any post.

5. BL33D 4 M3

BL33D 4 M3

Include Browning's line of Buckmark rimfire pistols in your research. Mine has been great.

DAW9347 likes this.
  6. DAW9347

From what you post, most of the time, I really don't expect anything worthwhile coming off your keyboard anyway. Save your "bovine excrement" for someone else. To me you're just a silly person who has no worthwhile purpose involving firearms. "We ALL know"? Who made you the spokesperson for "WE". Richard, you're full of it.

7. DAW9347

Oh, yes sir I have. I've run several Browning Buckmarks over my chronograph and setup in my Ransom Rest. Most of these pistols were borrowed from several of my good customers, who found the test results very helpful in choosing which .22 rimfire ammunition THEIR pistol liked best. In fact, testing a couple of the Browning Buckmark Contours and seeing how well those pistols performed, I bought one for myself. Only changes I made was to rework the sear, replace the extractor, and the trigger with an over-travel screw I installed:

[​IMG]

I found the above pistol to be well worth the investment made, and even a very good competitor with the only Smith & Wesson .22 rimfire pistol I found worthwhile to own:

[​IMG]

varget, arndog123 and BL33D 4 M3 like this.
  8. BL33D 4 M3

BL33D 4 M3

I have the stainless Camper 4", similar to the one in your pic. I had a long eye releif scope on it but it now wears a simple red dot for plinking. Been very reliable and accurate with mini mags.

DAW9347 likes this.
  9. DAW9347

Except for some of the "low end" Remington stuff, I also have not found many brands of .22 rimfire my Browning Contour didn't put up with. Using the Ransom Rest I produced some very awesome groups with SK, and Wolf Match Target .22 rimfire ammunition. I have some Eley that I want to run through it, and see how that performs for accuracy. My testing from the Ransom Rest only provides me with a set goal to shoot for. Pun intended. :flag:

BL33D 4 M3 likes this.
  10. arndog123

arndog123

I don’t have a trigger pull gauge so can’t tell you the weight on either guns.

The stock barrel was plenty accurate but I wanted to suppress it. Stock threaded barrels were hard to find in stock at the time so decided to go aftermarket.

DAW9347 likes this.
  11. DAW9347

You are absolutely correct! You are silly for arguing that "pistol performance parts" will make someone/anyone, shoot more accurately. That's a fallacy sellers hope folks like yourself buy into. If someone has the shakes from weak hands, those parts kits, or better triggers, are no help at all. To believe otherwise is indeed silly.
    The most credible, and proven, methods for a person to become more proficient and accurate in their shooting skills is to shoot more often and develop a better, solid and steady hold while pulling the trigger. To expect that some kit will automatically improve one's shooting is indeed "SILLY" and you'd have more luck catching a fart in a bottle.
    Take some time to explain to us and describe how each of those parts in the kit, once installed, will mistically make the pistol owner a more accurate shooter. Can't wait to buy a few parts and become a world class shooter after the brown truck drops off those parts.

12. Spats McGee

Spats McGee

Mrs. McGee and I have 2 Mk IV 22/45s, a Target and a Lite. There was a recall on Mk IVs and the notice can be viewed here. Mine had both had the recall retrofit done. (I don't know exactly what it was, as it had been done prior to my buying the pistols.) Anyway, they both run like champs.

DAW9347 likes this.
  13. ronin.45

ronin.45

The only recall I'm aware of was the thumb safety issue. If you somehow put the gun halfway on safe, pulled the trigger, then pushed the safety off it could fire. I believe the made a stiffer detent so it couldn't get half-on. Other than that, the MKIV has a pretty great rep.

Spats McGee likes this.
  14. DrewBone

DrewBone

To those interested; parts such as a matched trigger *hammer/sear from Volquartsen offer the shooter the potential for better accuracy by means of a smoother and lighter trigger pull weight; competitive shooters have been relying on smoother and lighter weight triggers to help them shoot more accurately since shooters began competing.

Swapping out a pistol's OEM trigger components with aftermarket parts is of course no magic pill, and I've never alluded to such a thought; the shooter still has to do their part.

But if a person has at their disposal the means of affording themselves a smoother and lighter weight trigger pull (along with adjustable pretravel and overtravel screws on the trigger) simply by purchasing and swapping out some parts in an effort to see if such changes might improve their accuracy, what's the problem, especially if doing so actually does improve their accuracy???

Hundreds if not thousands of people who've enjoyed positive results doing the above - can't be wrong.

*innocent typo corrected

Last edited: Sep 19, 2020
  15. 1eyedjack01

1eyedjack01

This. It has worked for me over the years.

16. DrewBone

DrewBone

My Mark IV 22/45 definately has a pretty good rep with me, but I wasn't fond of the factory grips, so I opted for a set of green/black G10 grips from Bullseye Grips cut in their "Starburst" pattern which are nice and grippy and I think they really enhance the looks of the pistol too. I removed the factory picatinny rail in readiness for the installation of a Lobos Industries low profile mount with a Vortex Venom 3MOA optic atop it, but I've been sidetracked with others projects so this is how it sits currently...

[​IMG]

arndog123 likes this.
  17. Spats McGee

Spats McGee

That's got to be the one.

18. DAW9347

To set the record straight, the Mark IV "recall fix" involved a couple of other parts, and NOT the safety detent, so the above information is lacking involving which actual features/parts that were replaced.
    If you'd really like to know which parts were replaced, I can send you copyright (©) pictures of the original parts next to the replacement parts. Those who don't actually own a Ruger Mark IV pistol are most likely not interested anyway, or will just want to argue.

Spats McGee likes this.
  19. DAW9347

From my extensive experience, I have found that the trigger has very little, most likely NONE, experience with the sear. :honkie: The disconnector is between those two features.
    Now, more correctly, the hammer and sear marriage are what's most important when reducing trigger pull weight. Most informed owners know this. Improvement in actual "measured" pull weight reduction, can be done with two very common, and very safe methods. Accuracy of the pistol will only remain as it was prior to the "KIT" installation, so don't be fooled.
    #1) Have your local, very experienced gunsmith, who knows much more than a "newbie" Ruger Mark IV owner, of just one gun, do the hammer/sear smoothing. Or
    #2) You can have the VC (Volquartsen Custom) hammer and sear, or what's mis-named as the "Accuracy Kit", installed by your local "good guy" gunsmith, if you can't do it yourself. Most are much more helpful with "learned" additional advice concerning than a newbie, internet, one-gun, wannabe expert.

20. Spats McGee

Spats McGee

That would be awesome. Please do.