New Ruger .22

Discussion in 'Rimfire Forum' started by LT642, Sep 12, 2020.

1. LT642

LT642

I am looking at 22LR pistols. Ruger seems to have a strong following, but I've read about some issues on the newer pistols. I'm thinking about the standard or tactical model due to it's barrel length. This will be used for a woods gun/plinking.

Any advise as to what to look for and what to avoid would be appreciated.

DAW9347 and WayneJessie like this.
  2. ronin.45

ronin.45

Not sure what issues you've heard about. The MKIV is a heck of a gun from all accounts. You can't go wrong with either of the models you're looking at.

pgg00, Valmet, porschedog and 3 others like this.

3. DrewBone

DrewBone

I too don't think that you'll have anything to worry about with newer Ruger pistols nowadays.

The Ruger Mark IV series have of course been redesigned to allow for quicker and easier field stripping, cleaning, and reassembly, which is considered a plus by those who for whatever reason have found the reassembly of their earlier model Mark I, II, and III pistols difficult. I think this was a welcome upgrade as most other .22LR semiauto handguns have a much more standardized, familiar, and therefor easier method of disassembly and reassembly, without having to resort to firearm calisthenics.

So go ahead and buy yourself the Ruger Mark IV pistol of your choice. If anything, changing out the sights or installing a Volquartsen Accuracy or Competition Kit will probably be all you'll ever consider needing to do to one :D

pgg00 likes this.
  4. Tuner Sandwich

Tuner Sandwich

I have a Mark IV 22/45 Lite.

Fun for the whole family.

20200912_194618.jpg

pgg00, arnold ziffle and DrewBone like this.
  5. Syclone0538

Syclone0538

Great guns. They're not light though... Not sure how far through the woods you are going to carry it.

Doc Holliday likes this.
  6. Joe A.

Joe A.

I have 2 Mark IVs, a Hunter and a Standard with the 6in barrel. Both are very accurate. The Standard would make an excellent woods pistol.

I’ve installed the Volquartsen Accurizing Kit in each bringing the trigger pull down to 1 1/2-1 3/4 pounds.

BarryR, treg and DrewBone like this.
  7. WayneJessie

WayneJessie

I don’t think you can do any better than Ruger MK pistols. They built like tanks and have so many available accessories to choose from. I own MKII pistols but I wouldn’t be afraid for a second to buy a MKIV. I’d be afraid to guess how many rounds I’ve ran through my MKII over the years and so far I’ve never had to replace a worn part. It just has to be cleaned about every 200 rounds to remain 100% reliable. I shoot garbage practice ammo in it most of the time and it gets very nasty inside.

porschedog and DrewBone like this.
  8. Joe A.

Joe A.

Here’s a 25 yard 10 shot group fired from the Mark IV Hunter while I had a scope on it. The aiming dot is 1 inch.

D1FB8FE0-C33C-4852-A0B7-B94C6956A3C5.jpeg

pgg00, DAW9347, treg and 2 others like this.
  9. Pluto57

Pluto57

If there are any kind of widespread issues with the MKIV, I haven't heard about them. Of course, I live under a rock, so maybe that's the problem. Seriously, tho, perhaps you can elucidate.

pgg00 likes this.
  10. TheDreadnought

TheDreadnought

I’d suggest skipping the Ruger and getting yourself a TX22 for the use case you describe. You’ll be glad you did.

11. B C

B C

Check out the S&W 22 Victory.

Walk Soft likes this.
  12. napp32

napp32

......and, off topic we go. :dog:

Nucflash and DAW9347 like this.
  13. ronin.45

ronin.45

At least the Victory is a viable alternative. The TX22 is a completely different class of gun.

B C and DrewBone like this.
  14. TheDreadnought

TheDreadnought

Not at all. He wants a .22 for plinking and woods carry.

He said he heard that Rugers were good and asked about them.

I told him for his use case he should forget the Ruger and go with the TX22.

Talking about a solution to the use case he described. On topic.

15. Valmet

Valmet M62/76 Silver Member

I haven’t heard of any issues with the Mark IV. I’ve had a Target Model for nearly a year and it’s been 100%. It makes it into the range bag on every trip.

16. Bill Keith

Bill Keith

Any Ruger 22 is a good shooter. The best deal is the new single action Wrangler. Being old school, my favorites are the slab sided Mark II Government Competition and the Single Six. If you can read & follow directions or watch You Tube tutorials, the MK 2 Rugers aren't too difficult to take apart and put back together.
    Ruger KMK678GC.png Ruger Single 6 convertible.png

DAW9347 likes this.
  17. Joe A.

Joe A.

My 2 Mark IVs hasn’t received much love this year. I’ve been shooting my G44. I now have around 11,000 rounds thru it.

Twice I’ve carried the MK IV Standard. First time, I fired 1 magazine. Second time, I fired 2 magazines. It is just too boringly accurate.

I would love to have an older Mark series Ruger just to learn the takedown. If I co e across one someday at a good price, I may have to pick it up.

Bill Keith likes this.
  18. grumpy1

grumpy1

There was a recall on early Ruger Mark IV series but that was a few years ago and would not apply to any new ones manufactured for sale on or after June 01, 2017 which are solid pistols, very high quality, with amazing accuracy.

https://ruger.com/dataProcess/markIVRecall/index.php?r=y

19. Bradley T

Bradley T

Personally I'd like a Mark IV, S&W Victory and a TX .22- probably in that order. That Mark IV is a real modernized improvement on the Ruger line of .22 pistols. I think you should get one of those. Obviously the .22/45 is trying to feel like a Colt's 1911, but I really like the fit and feel of the old Ruger "drill handle" frame even better. That "Hunter" model is a really cool pistol. Dang it, now I'm gonna be thinking about that all night!

DAW9347 likes this.
  20. DAW9347

DAW9347 Patron Life NRA Member

Any, and all of the early issues have been rectified. The so-called "safety recall" was a CYA effort on Rugers part, but they changed the safety plate & sear to accommodate the few who didn't know how to operate the safety properly.
    All the Mark IV pistols that I have had cross my bench for over a year now have been fantastic shooters.
    I would recommend the "all-steel" Mark IV with the 5½ Blued Bull barrel. It has adjustable rear sight and D/T for an optic if so desired. Carried in a "good" leather holster, it will not be a burden at all.
    The Ruger Mark IV Lite version has a sleeved barrel that bounces around during recoil, which is most annoying to experienced shooters who want target recovery much quicker.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2020