close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

new router decreases bandwidth

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by podwich, Feb 6, 2006.

1. podwich

podwich

I bought a Linksys WRT55AG dual band wireless router as I want to use 802.11a (the 2.4GHz range is very crowded where I live). I plugged it in, set up the basics (I even followed the setup guide exactly), and tried it online. I can browse low-bandwidth stuff just fine, but if I try to do a bandwidth test or download a file of any decent size, it just doesn't work. For instance, the Glock pic on the GT homepage took a few seconds to load.

I have been running a WRT54G router just fine. I've checked all the settings and they appear identical. This problem exhibits itself by both wired and wireless connections on two computers. I have a normal connection if I connect the computer directly to the cable modem. I have no trouble with the connection between my computers-I can transfer files wirelessly at ~20 Mbps and wired at >80 Mbps.

This is my second WRT55AG router-I exchanged the previous one after speaking with Linksys tech support and presuming it was defective. I highly doubt this is the case as the second brand new one has the exact same problem.

Here's something weird: I just did a dialup bandwidth test (it took about 15 minutes or so) and got odd results- an upload bandwidth of 206.1 kbps and a download of 9.4 kbps. If I take out the router and directly connect to the modem I get a upload of 240.5 kbps and download of 1428.9 kbps.

I did try changing the MTU last time-I changed it to 1400, 1500, and 576. 576 made it very slightly faster but still not even close to decent. I couldn't tell a difference in anything with the other two. It's currently set to auto (as was my previous router).

Any ideas? Thank you!

2. podwich

podwich

3. podwich

podwich

Without router:

4. Blitzer

Blitzer Cool Cat

5. podwich

podwich

Interesting. However, since it works for some people just fine and I've tried two routers, there's gotta be something going on. I looked around some more and thought of some other stuff- my old router has three lights for each connection (internet, 4 ports) listed as Link/Active, Full/Col, and 10/100. On the connection to the cable modem, only the Link light is lit. I believe the modem is thus not operating in duplex and doesn't have a 10/100 ethernet connection but just 10. I found something on the net talking about a extremely reduced bandwidth when using a router that was only 10mbps to a regular modem. I wonder if there are problems the way I have it.

My modem is a crappy-looking "NetGame" branded cable modem that is owned by my apartment complex (they have their own ISP here). I have a friend who has a newer modem-if I can get a hold of her I'll try it there.

Any idea if this could be it? Any other ideas?

6. hwyhobo

hwyhobo

Any possibility there may be an issue of laptop wireless card incompatibility? I believe issues like that are not unheard of although not common.

7. podwich

podwich

I don't think so. I have the problem regardless of whether I use a wireless or wired connection. Also, I have no trouble transferring files wirelessly from one computer to the wired one (or wired to wired).

8. pyblood

pyblood

Have you checked the MTU for your high speed connection?

I once had a D-Link router that was giving be a lot of problems. I called tech Support and they told me to change the MTU from 1500 to something like 1492 or 1472 and that fixed the problem. I couldn’t access windows update or secure websites.

9. podwich

podwich

When I called Linksys he had me change it to 1400 with no effect. I had tried 1500 with no effect and 576 with extremely little effect. Is there another setting that should be better?

10. Washington D.C.

Washington D.C.

11. redshift

redshift

It could be a speed/duplex issue between your PC and your router; double check that your PC NIC is set to autonegotiate (Control Panel, Network Connections, right click the LAN connection and go to properties, click the configure button, it's the second tab iirc, should be "duplex and speed" or something similar). I'm unfamiliar with the firmware on that router, so I'm not sure if you can change the speed or duplex of the ports. If you can, call your ISP and find out what speed/duplex settings their modem is operating on, and make sure the router's uplink port (or port 1, depending again on the model) matches their settings (99.999% of the time it's going to autonegotiate).

Failing that, try swapping the odd-out patch cable (the one that you're not using to connect your PC to the modem when you bypass the router). MTU settings can affect your speed, but not anywhere near the levels you're seeing. Judging by the fact that you're only seeing download speeds affected, not uploads, I'm fairly confident it's a duplex mismatch (we see the same issues at work if someone's mis-configured a cisco switch port ;)).

12. podwich

podwich

I took the router over to my friend's house tonight-it worked fine there. I'll be heading down to the office tomorrow to try to get a different modem. Apparently it's a conflict between the router and modem-likely similar to what redshift mentioned. Thanks for all the help!