Glock Talk banner

New Rock River PDS!

1796 Views 17 Replies 11 Participants Last post by  ShipWreck
Picked up a new carbine on Monday. Finally got all my accessories in, and I got to shoot it. Many people know I'm not a DI fan. I like piston setups. I have a SCAR 16, and I've owned two AUGs previously

I am also a fan of side charging handles - never really cared for the position of a normal AR charging handle.

Anyway - shot it yesterday and it is 100%. It's actually cleaner inside after firing than the SCAR is. Weight wise, it's about the same as my SCAR 16 with the same optic.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
1,121 Posts
Picked up a new carbine on Monday. Finally got all my accessories in, and I got to shoot it. Many people know I'm not a DI fan. I like piston setups. I have a SCAR 16, and I've owned two AUGs previously

I am also a fan of side charging handles - never really cared for the position of a normal AR charging handle.

Anyway - shot it yesterday and it is 100%. It's actually cleaner inside after firing than the SCAR is. Weight wise, it's about the same as my SCAR 16 with the same optic.

Real nice ..... How do you like the Mepro ? I have one on my Tavor & love it....

· Beretta 92 Nut!
7,537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I like the Mepro. I've been using the Mepro 21 as an optic for a few years now. In fact, I just ordered another one yesterday (the one on my RRA carbine was pulled off of another gun - so I needed another one.

That will be 3 I have now. And, I've owned another 3 previously that I sold when I sold the guns they were on. I only get the triangle reticle model.

Red dots don't work with my eyes, because I see a phantom dot next to the real dot. I don't have any issues with the Mepro, and I like that there are no batteries or electronics... Always on, and no buttons or switches to mess with

· Banned
45,550 Posts
Reactions: ShipWreck

· Beretta 92 Nut!
7,537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well, I went back out to shoot today.... Damn it is hot!

Anyway, the place was busy - but NO ONE on the rifle range when I get there. In the 5 min it took me to go inside and pay... When I came out - everyone seemed to swarm on the rifle range . Like 8-10 people all of a sudden.

Anyway - I had to get a new Mepro 21 for my Beretta CX4 - since I had swiped the optic off of it to go on the Rock River a couple of weeks ago...
I re-zeroed my CX4 again at 50 yards with the new Mepro 21. And, then I shot some more rounds thru the new Rock River. The VMax 223 round works great. When I first got my SCAR 16 and tried it 2 years ago, it barely had enough power to cycle the moving parts group. Of course, the SCAR was brand new (springs not yet broken in). I haven't tried it again in the SCAR (I have 700+ rounds thru it, so it's broken in now).

And - the Rock River had no issues with it, and it grouped nicely.

Both rifles have the same Mepro 21 optic. It is in interesting that I can shoot some 1 inch groups of 8-10 rounds with the Rock River at 50 yards, but the CX4 with the same optic shoots about 3 inch groups at 50 yards. Of course, it's not a real long distance rifle. At 25 yards, it'll put all rounds into 1 hole. And, the trigger on the CX4 isn't the best either.

Had a nice time. WAY too damn hot. Not going back out to shoot rifles until Nov now. I've had enough heat.

· Right wing nut
9,451 Posts
Because black guns all look the same to you? Are you some sort of gun-ist?
I thought that pic was Will Smith holding a black Mossy 500?

· Well I'll Be Dipped!!!
32,590 Posts
When I first got my SCAR 16 and tried it 2 years ago, it barely had enough power to cycle the moving parts group. Of course, the SCAR was brand new (springs not yet broken in). I haven't tried it again in the SCAR (I have 700+ rounds thru it, so it's broken in now).
I do believe the SCAR's gas system is adjustable for different ammo. Of course, you probably know that.

· Beretta 92 Nut!
7,537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yes, it is, but I din't want to make that adjustment. I just changed defensive ammo. I didn't want to put it on that setting for various reasons.

I would bet that now it would probably work fine. (now that the gun is broken in)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.